1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The "penalty" incident

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 18, 2016.

Discuss The "penalty" incident in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    No that would be a red, it's still a red if you stop a clear goal. So handballing on the line or taking someone down last man from behind as they are about to roll it in the net would still be a red.

Although its dodgy then when someone is trying to round a keeper and gets decked as when they are decked then if they arent they are probably scoring but i'd bet a lot of keepers will get away with a yellow for it.

2. Dr. Frasier Crane

Pretty sure the new rule takes in to account intent, so that would still be a nailed on red card. It's for goalies and defenders that make genuine efforts for the ball and get it slightly wrong, not when a defender punches the ball off the line or kicks someone up in the air.

3. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Should have been a free kick at the edge of the box I feel.

4. ynwa1987

May have been accidental but if thats me I take that same touch and use Eriks momentum to clatter into me. If he did it on purpose its smart attacking.

People keep saying he moved into Eriks way or he was looking for the penalty..... both these factors are irrelevant.

5. raymo67

Karma is a * let's not forget the semi final in what was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen so * them & the guy was looking for it he is running straight then all of a sudden steps right so his leg comes together with sviachenko's & they have nothing to complain about they got a draw out of a game that could have ended up 7-1 if we took our chances & the whole BT commentary team wouldn't shut up about long after it happended

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    You should probably be able to take repeat offender's to task as well. Draper always either goes in studs up, or is diving about. I'm sure he's got form for this? Did he no get a ridiculous penalty v the Sheep last year?

Fly *..

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What happened in a previous match shouldn't really be relevant here though.

8. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The contact was just outside the box but it was definitely a foul and Erik should have walked.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even though Daper was the one who went down, stuck his leg out and tripped Sviatchenko up?

10. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He got caught for pace and took the boy out. No contact on the ball. A clear foul in my opinion

11. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    See this is what I don't get about people calling it a stonewaller.

You and I are walking on the pavement. I step across into your path of movement and we both fall over.

Who's responsible for the collision?

12. ordinaryman

The Council who didn't fill the crack in the pavement.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It's football mate, you aren't allowed just to go through somebody because they have moved themselves inbetween you and the ball.

14. ynwa1987

He stepped across and put himself in between the player and the ball, its good attacking. Eric was going for the ball and his momentum made him clatter into the attacker.

To claim it is a foul for us is pretty wide of the mark putting it nicely.

15. ordinaryman

Correct. For example, ball is going out of play behind goals and is being shepherded out by defender. Forward sprinting to get to the ball first and defender moves across forward blocking his way to the ball and in between ball and forward. Collision. Free kick to defending side. Used to be classed as "obstruction" and foul for attacking side, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Yesterday, penalty and Erik stays on as opposed to free kick to ICT and Eric goes off or free kick to us for either obstruction or diving.

16. Priest

Referee got the call right, the "foul" came from Draper throwing his leg out to the side in an effort to create contact.

17. Swervedancer Guest

Quite obvious the Caley player lost control of the ball and stuck his leg out wide to try and retrieve it and collided with Sviachenko. Definitely not a foul nor a dive for me, just a coming together.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If you watch it though, the "collision" is when draper hits Eriks calf. So Erik is the one who gets hit, so how can he be the one fouling?

[​IMG]

That is the contact there, comes from Draper sticking his leg in and hitting Eriks right leg on the calf and as Erik is running his left leg then jams Drapers and they both fall.

Erik isnt the one who actually made contact first though, the first contact is Draper hitting Eriks right calf.

If Erik ran into the back of him fair enough but Erik was probably going to get ahead of him until he sticks his leg over and obstructs him.

19. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    The thing is though. Draper dangles his leg across Sviatchenko(like that * Vardy does on numerous occasions)he's doesn't have full body position in front of Erik.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He's in control of the ball, I genuinely can't believe there's even the slightest bit of debate about this. Their striker done what every good striker should, get yourself between the defender and the ball, make sure if they need to challenge you, it's going through you rather than giving them a free swipe at the ball.