1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New Goalkeeper?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by boondock, Jul 1, 2016.

Discuss New Goalkeeper? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think our scouting department is extensive enough to be looking at all positions, not just the specifics. No player should be so comfortable they are incapable of being replaced.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Exactly. Certainly not someone who has shown some alarmingly frequent blunder showings, and frailties in his game, and big game's , as Gordon has..

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye he has shown over two years to flap in big games and alarming tendency to concede goals at the front post. Last season he lost one of his biggest plus points from the first season, collecting high balls.

He's better than what we seen last season but not irreplacable.

4. Seosamh Máirtín

I don't rate him at all. Replacement should be sought ASAP.

5. Dr. Frasier Crane

He carried us through the groups that year, I remember a double save in particular away at Salzburg was unbelievable. I think the majority of the squad deserves another chance to be honest, including Gordon, everyone went through a difficult spell last season.

6. Dr. Frasier Crane

It's strange as well because Forster went through a spell of commanding his box then just totally lost the plot with it, a bit like Gordon has. What the * is Woods doing to them?!

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Seems to get really flustered as well, especially after making a big mistake..

Towards the end of the season, he was collecting and coming for high ball's, but for a long while it had completely been taken out of his game. I hate his aimlessly * kicking as well, especially the one's that barely reach 40 yard's (to no one) from his goal line and set us up to be immediately countered..

He definitely is better, but I think he may just be too old to overcome some of the many gaffs he's had here, particularly last year where it was almost regular for a period..

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Craig Gordon CSC

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Wood's has single handedly made Forster a top keeper in the 10-15 mill bracket and arguably England's best keeper. No bad for an unwanted Newcastle reserve, punted out to second tier Norwich on loan, and us..

He absolutely improved Gordon when he was just in as well, a guy who hadn't kicked a ball in nearly 3 year. He has, with age, and probably ability, resorted back to type though with frailties he's always shown..

Stevie Wood's is certainly not the problem..

10. Dr. Frasier Crane

Yet neither of them can command their area. So something clearly isn't right in training. These are two massive guys with huge reach that should be able to come for crosses and deal with balls in and around the six yard box fairly comfortably. He turned Forster from a quality shot stopper in to a world class one without a doubt, but both goalies had the same problems, command of the box and at times distribution.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Been banging this drum for a while now, it's a priority.

I thought he was shocking last season and gets a very easy ride of it off the fans. Particularly in Europe.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Forster's distribution certainly improved as time went on here. His assist for Watt alone proves my point :fear:....but seriously, he was very poor with his feet and his commanding of the box, but now is a much better all rounder for his time here. That can't really be disputed, can it?

Gordon as well, has always had the same frailties, and is at an age where can he improve a great deal more? Is he playing too much football after his spell out? Is his confidence too weak? Is the demands of playing at the biggest club he's ever and will ever be at, too much?

He's definitely been superb at time's, but some of his strong point's, which he started off with here, certainly deserted him. I've already said his biggest weakness for me, is his distribution. I hope he's really been working hard to improve on where he left off.....which was decent enough..

13. Dr. Frasier Crane

Forster left here totally incapable of commanding his area. I haven't seen much of him since he left though so I couldn't tell you if he has improved that side of his game or not. But it was an obvious weakness and something that should have been worked on more.

I don't for one second think Woods is a bad coach though, I just think when you have two unbelievable shot stoppers in a row and neither of which can command the box, despite having been able to previously and being massive guys, it looks bad.

14. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    I'm done with Gordon now and have been for a while, we really need to be looking for another alternative or he could cost us. Hardly keeps a clean sheet anymore. Had a great first 6 months but it's been downhill since Inter and he's never seemed to recover from that to me never got back to the levels we seen from him in his first 6 months here.

Michel Vorm at Spurs is someone we should be looking to target, played under Brendan at Swansea and was brilliant so he's worked with him before, he's only 32 which is no age at all for a GK who can play into their late 30s early 40s these days as countless examples have shown. He's second choice at Spurs behind Lloris but surely he wants to play games before his career finishes? Think he's on £45K a week not sure how long he has left on contract think maybe 1 or 2 years left on it. But if we were to offer him a 3-4 year contract(Which is fine to offer a GK at that age)on perhaps about £30K a week as GK is one of the most important positions on the park then he may consider it. Definitely worth a go.

15. boondock

Michael Vorm is an excellent shout actually.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't agree. He certainly improved it, drastically in my opinion.... And has carried that on down South. He was always going to keep improving at his young Goalkeeping age..

He's generally quite a respected coach at Celtic supposedly, and isn't doing bad on the goalkeeping coaching front, with 3 good, to quality one's passing through in recent time's..

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Don't rate him at all. People talk about commanding boxes. This guy is glued to his line..

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree with that.

It's not just us he has a reputation with either - it's throughout Britain. There's a reason why Woods was the only coach that Rodgers took on without question.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Good point. He's established here, and seems to not only be respected, but well liked amongst the squad. Lost count the amount of time's I've seen him on the pitch after game's and *'s making a beeline for him or having a laugh.... Which is sometimes just as important as the serious stuff..

20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Buffons too old I old. I would go for Leno