1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Mar 2, 2016.

Discuss The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

Well, as weird as it may be, I actually voted based on party policies that were put forward for Scotland in the here & now, not in hope of some vague referendum that we may or may not get over the next five or ten years.

I've said it a million times, the SNP struck gold by losing the referendum as it basically ensured that the party, and those MSP's & MP's within it, would be elected and paid well for the foreseeable future.

All they have to do is peddle the independence line for the next ten years or so and people will follow regardless.

The very fact we have someone like Mhairi * Black in Parliament says it all, really.

2. gunt

DONT ASSUME SNP will win by miles. Recent polls have had SNP down as low as 49% on constituency vote and 43% on list which is squeeky bumsville. Its by no means certain. So get out and vote. YOU DONT NEED A POLLING CARD IF ONE HAS NOT ARRIVED.

3. gunt

Well bear in mind the most recent polls put it on a knife edge and a UNIONIST LAB-TORY-LIB GRAND COALITION and no indyref right this Holyrood term is a real possibility. Imagine how awful that would be. It would set the independence movement back a long way IMO. I believe we will be independent by 2020 if SNP win an absolute majority.

4. Dáibhí

Gunt, we're not getting independence "in the next few years", it's not happening.

And as for "minor issues", you try telling a fellow Celtic fan who's had his door kicked in at 5am by the cops all because the SNP bigot Christine Grahame wanted to "even things up" between Hun bigots and "* Catholics" that such matters are "minor".

5. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think Daibhi does have a point...

You should vote based on the MSP who can best serve your constituency and the party you believe can best run the country. Independence is still a massive issue, I think there'll be another referendum in the near future (more importantly, this time I think we'll win it) but indy shouldn't be the be all and end all...

There's still a country to run. In my opinion the SNP are the best party to run it.

6. gunt

Brexit (which is leading in England in many polls) provides a unique opportunity to fast track and indyref2 to just a year or two away so its not remote at all. Its a one-off chance and if we dont have the right to hold one because the SNP-Greens block is even one MSP short of an absolute majority then we will have blown a 2nd opportunity for self determination in a couple of years.

7. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Voted SNP and Greens

8. gunt

true and the SNP have a great manifesto BUT no absolute majority means no independence referendum. The president is the right to hold one only exists when SNP have an absolute majority of MSPs in Holyrood. If we blow that then there cannot be an indyref till 2021

9. Markybhoy

What are 'minor issues' to you may not be minor issues to others. Personally I don't take kindly to being filmed by coppers with cameras on their heids when I go to watch a football match and I also strongly object to the government trying to redefine marriage. The SNP can * off this time round.

10. gunt

if Scotland votes remain in Brexit and England votes out and therefore the UK votes out we have a golden chance of a quick 2nd indyref. However we need a majority of MSPs who back independence in HR to be able to call that. If we dont then the unionists - even if they have a majority of just one - will block it. Chance will be gone at least for 4-5 years.

11. gunt

There is talk within the SNP of chancing the offensive behavour act.

12. gunt

Like it or not our entire self determination rests on getting a (largely SNP) absolute majority. An issue like our national freedom puts everything else into shade. It may be a party but you dont vote SNP because you love the SNP. You vote for them as the only major vehicle to independence. We can then shape the country any way we want.

13. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think the leadership have to make sure there is clear distance between Yes and No before another referendum is called. As I said I think we'll be independent in the near future, whether that's in the lifetime of this next parliament I'm not sure.

Losing another referendum would be unthinkable and would kill the dream for a long, long time.

14. gunt

anyway whatever you believe folks VOTE. Generations fought for the right for all to vote.

15. Markybhoy

I don't believe that for a second. They've been resolute in their defence of that particular piece of legislation. Call me cynical but any talk of amending or ditching the bill during an election campaign should be viewed with a lot of scepticism.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Both votes SNP.

The * poor legislation regarding football fans WILL be looked at. It's a sham Act and anyone with common sense knows it.

17. Markybhoy

The chances of another Independence referendum in the lifetime of the next parliament are minimal. For the simple reason that I don't think we would win it. As you say, if we called another one and lost again then it's all over. The SNP will need to pretty sure they can get the result they want before they call it again. They've only one bullet left in their gun.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The next Referendum will take place when it is abundantly clear that's what the majority of Scots want and not a second before.

Brexit will, 100%, trigger that shift.

19. Markybhoy

I don't think Brexit will win.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Depends on who's scaremongering targets the largest volume of people.

You might be right given what happened in our Referendum.