1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish Leaders Election Debate Tonight!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Miles Platting, Apr 2, 2015.

Discuss Scottish Leaders Election Debate Tonight! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

All that 'We the 45' bullshit is though.

2. CelticFC1967

I do not really mean unwelcoming as people as such, I suppose that was perhaps the wrong term. A lot of people are so set on independence and so angry at the outcome that they find it hard to accept alternative opinions of people voting Labour etc. Like I said previously, I voted Yes and I'd still back Scottish independence if the vote was tomorrow. I, therefore, do not think it is beneficial that some Yes campaigners - mainly on social media - are not more open-minded to those that are not convinced by it. I always felt the whole 45 thing was a bit inclusive. I have not really spoken to Nats in person as such, although nearly all of my mates were Yes, so I could not say that they are unwelcoming. Twitter is perhaps the wrong place to guage it upon but that is mainly the impression I took from much of the stuff you see on there.

3. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    You were alluding to it though.

Agreed, that is in its most extreme form though. However it is a terrible, terrible bill. It doesn't tarnish my view of the SNP though, they have done more good than bad. Parties will always have good and bad points though.

Really, his 'best pal', really? Have they been best buds their whole life, sipping champagne and scoffing cavier. Billionaire American the lifelong friend to Wee Alex Salmond..... Um no. I think you'll find it was business. What was on offer (job creation, global recognition, extra tourism, more money, homes etc was too good to turn down). They have had many quarrels though, especially over the wind turbines - doesn't suggest such a chummy wee friendship there.

This is scandalous, I will give you that. Not really sure what they are doing with this. From a simplistic observation and a selfish one, I think maybe the reasoning is that studies prove universities boost the economy, university students boost the economy. Think of all the bumpers you see in colleges. That is the minority though, so the majority who do want to better their lives should be helped.

Suppose that is quite an uppity comment from myself.

The Greens do have some of the best policies, unfortunately they would get nowhere in this shambolic system. The SNP are the only ones powerful enough, hence why I said they are being used as a vehicle, to get us to the end goal. The Labour party are far too Conservative now, honestly. They need radicalised, shook up or something - at the very least.

4. CelticFC1967

Responses in bold:50:

5. wulliebad

Jim murphy after 3 hours tv manages to covert someone to labour who was already there.
    Nice try jimbo

[​IMG]

6. Vertie Auld

I'll need to watch the debate on iPlayer. How did Patrick do?

7. wulliebad

He did well again,but he talked himself into a trap and had to back peddle a bit.

Ukip did very well at showing anyone that was in doubt what a horrible party they are.

out of the hour....30-40mins shouting over each other but mixed in was a few good bits.

Im not sure ill watch anymore if they are planned.....its the same old same old really.

8. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Jocky Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Haha doh!

10. made in ireland

Surely refusing to vote for the SNP because of that scandalous Act of the Scottish Parliament is as good a reason as any?

For many it's not a 'political decision based on football', but a decision based on the SNP instigating a campaign which attempts to criminalize a particular section of society in order to manipulate facts and figures so 'both sides are as bad as each other'. Instead of dealing with the serious issue of anti-Irish and anti-Catholic sentiment in parts of Scotland, they have attempted to 'even things up', which has meant people being dragged through courts and facing criminal convictions for singing Irish songs. That in my eyes is an absolute scandal.

11. Dáibhí

I completely agree, and I find this attitude of "well, I don't agree with the bill, but..." to be alarming, especially when it's coming from our own support.

In all honesty I'd like to see us put as much effort into pressuring the Government to trash this bill as we put into attending pro-yes rallies in George Square.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    WOW you have had a change of heart regarding the SNP and the bill then.

13. Dáibhí

I was never a fan of the football bill?

14. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Nope you had the same opinion as the majority have, the bill is *.
    There was none of the highlighted below being said and especially the "to be alarming".

15. Dáibhí

I'm saying that the way in which some of our support are quick to dismiss the bill as an aside whilst voting for, or in some cases even joining the SNP is alarming.

On this forum I've seen people taken to task for mentioning the bill as a reason for not voting SNP, which is ludicrous to be honest.

Over the past few pages we've seen the bill dismissed as "just about football", that it "stops us singing at football grounds" and "jumping side to side at Celtic Park".

I'm not entirely sure if its even possible to intentionally trivialise the matter any more than it has been on this forum.

The bill was passed with the intention of criminalising a certain section of Scottish society. Football was simply the vehicle used for doing so.

SNP MSP and the head of Holyroods justice committee Christine Grahame was quoted as saying that "more Catholics needed arresting" to "even things up" by someone who was working with her at the time.

She still holds her position within the party.

Now, I'm not saying that this is a reason for everyone to not vote SNP, but to claim that it's nothing more than a "football matter" is way off the mark. It most certainly is a reason to note vote for the SNP, and it's perfectly legitimate.

It's legitimate to not vote UKIP because they have people with a racist attitude within their ranks, but it's not legitimate to question the SNP when they are happy to have someone like Christine Grahame within their ranks?

If a serving MSP had championed a bill that would see Muslims, Sikhs, or any other minority group in Scotland treated in the way some Catholic Celtic supporters have, claiming that "evening things up" was the way to go I really doubt it would have been dismissed so easily.

The bill isn't "*". The bill is Sectarian and racist.

By all means, vote SNP, but don't try and belittle anyone who voices concern at the way they have acted when it comes to the anti-Catholic football bill (not you personally of course, but in general).

16. Glasgow_Bhoy88

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_Factor"]Shy Tory Factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Could add the reverse for Labour over the last 15 or so years.

Of course how you collect your data matters. If you could via phone calls you are more likely to be speaking elderly, and therefore, more conservative voters. If you do it online you are more likely to come across younger, more liberal, voters.

17. Glasgow_Bhoy88

A good few people on this forum only support Celtic due to politics. Silly people that they are...

18. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Explained himself after his wee hiccup.

19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I believe you :icon_mrgreen:

Its not anti catholic, the bill targets Celtic fans full stop. At the point of arrest the plod do not ask the religion of the individual.

I wonder how many rewrites that involved :smiley-laughing002: