1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic team top 6 EPL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by cel674life, Mar 21, 2015.

Discuss Celtic team top 6 EPL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

:97::smiley-laughing002:

Who's walking into the team? Charlie Adam?

2. shieldsybhoy

Let's compare strikers...

Us: Griffiths, Guidetti & Scepovic

Them: Odemwingie, Crouch, Moses & Bojan

Huge gulf there

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Except we play with 1 striker.

Would any of that 4 walk into our starting 11? Possibly. Moses and Bojan are probably the best players there and they're not even really strikers.

4. shieldsybhoy

How would they 'possibly' walk into our team? Of course they would. And theyd be the best player in our team.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Haven't seen enough of them to be able to give a proper opinion to be honest.. But nobody from Stoke would walk into our team ahead of Gordon, Lustig, Van Dijk, Denayer, Izaguirre, Brown, Bitton or Johansen. The other 3 positions are debatable.

6. Keano88

Moses plays on the wing :97:

Bojan plays behind the striker for stoke :bbpd:

Odemwingie or Crouch wouldn't walk into our team imo..

7. saltire78

Dont see it myself... reckon it'd take us about 7-10 years to get into the guaranteed european spot level. We may fluke it, but i think that league is so heavily subsidised it's a * minefield we'd best off avoiding all together

8. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Top 6 ? Surely not. 16 place would be far more realistic.

9. shieldsybhoy

The strikers are our worst department in our squad. Of course they would walk in.

Also forgot about Diouf & Arnautovic who again, are better than any striker we have.

You have to remember that we sold our best striker in years to relegation fodder in that league. I'm not 'overrating it', but that is simply the truth. I would say all of our players in the team now, bar our strikers, are comfortably Premiership quality though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  10. Victor Wandama

11. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    not this current side but we've had good enough sides in the past

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The strikers and Ambrose aren't EPL quality. I was thinking about Hooper too. Hooper would walk into our team and comfortably take it up a couple of levels, yet down there he's nothing special. Ledley was a star up here; down there he's just another player.

A quick thought experiment: if we had better players than teams like Stoke, we would lose players to the EPL until such point as we didn't. There are always exceptions like Broony, but for the most part these lower EPL teams can take any of our players they want whenever they want. It is telling that they only ever want our very best players.

13. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We've had a few players in recent years go down and do well, ki, wanyama, Forster and Ledley and I think we have a few more that would do well.
    However, we seriously lack up front as everyone has pointed out and I think at best we'd be between relegation zone and mid table.
    Just being realistic because difference in money is just too much.

14. BrianSwan

Hi, first post. I want to say first I have a lot of respect for you club for becoming the giant it is in the Scottish league while my club obviously benefits from English money and exposure, the SPL deserves a lot of respect for what they have achieved and continue to achieve. But, I think a lot are misguided here in thinking 'money doesn't matter.'

Realistically, Celtic should forget the Premier League, they'd be a top 4 Championship side with their current squad. I few years ago with Ki, Wanyama, Ledley, Hooper and Forster you was definitely a capable PL level team but I don't believe so anymore.

Like someone else has mentioned, you need top level strikers to even be in with a chance, Aston Villa (Benteke), Sunderland (have Defoe), Leicester (Ulloa, Kramaric), Burnley (Ings), QPR (Austin). I think you're very comparable to the likes of Derby, Norwich, Watford. That may sound insulting but it really isn't. Derby have a few talented loans (like you - Bent, Ince, Lindegaard), then a strong core with a few young talents. Norwich boast an attacking trio of Hooper, Jerome and Grabban with a strong core behind them with guys such as Redmond and Watford also have two talented strikers in Vydra and Deeney. There's no way we'll ever know which makes this debatable to start with but from an outsider looking at your squad, you'd struggle relying on Guidetti alone through out the season.

15. shieldsybhoy

Who are your team?

I do completely disagree with you on where you think we would be in English football. Every player in our fully fit starting XI is 'Premiership' standard. Again, it's a shame that the English media over inflate the Premier League and con the fans into thinking that it is the best league in the world. Just like at the world cup in South Africa where they conned the English pubic into believing they could actually win it when of course they had no chance whatsoever. A team like Everton, who are normally a top half Premier League side got very very comfortably beaten by Dynamo Kiev last week, whereas Inter Milan scraped a 1 goal aggregate win against us, needing a last minute San Siro screamer from Guarin and our best player got sent off 30 mins into the game where we got beat 1-0. Lower half Prem/top 4 Championship sides just simply could not compete at that level.

Every single starter bar Griffiths would be at the very least an okay EPL player.

Also, we don't 'rely' on Guidetti, he doesn't usually start.

16. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome :50:

That's never going to be a popular viewpoint here, but unfortunately it's not an entirely unfair assessment.

17. BrianSwan

I'm a Swansea fan, and again, no disrespect.. but if you want to bring up Europe you can't forget your losses to the likes of Legia and Maribor. Are they better than you? I wouldn't necessarily say so. European football is all on the day, yes Barcelona are superior to Man City and yes Real Madrid are better than Chelsea or another top English team but some games just don't go right for you. Arsenal in my opinion are better than Monaco, Everton beat Wolfsburg twice this season yet I'd pick the Germans as the better side. It's a measuring stick but not a complete one.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not sure about that, we did show that we could compete with Inter Milan and a reliance on Guidetti isn't accurate either, earlier on in the season, yes. He struggles for a game now though.

19. shieldsybhoy

We are a completely different side to when we got beat off Legia & Maribor. They were our new manager's first competitive games. I don't think Europe is the complete benchmark, but it's the only benchmark for us and we get good results against big teams most years. What else can we compare ourselves to? European football, usually, is full of tight games where not many goals are scored. Putting 5 past a team is very telling in Europe.

If you look at our team, most of them could play for Prem sides.

Gordon, Denayer, Van Dijk, Johansen & Lustig could all play for top half EPL sides outside the top 5.

Izaguirre, Bitton, Brown, Commons, Matthews, GMS & Armstrong (& Guidetti if he could be arsed) could all play for either mid or lower Prem sides.

Yes, we would be in a relegation fight, but we'd be one of the better teams in it and if we found another Hooper we would be around mid table.

And if we got the same TV revenues we'd blow most teams out the water.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure how you can say we could have been a good Prem level team with Forster, Wanyama, Ki, Hooper and Ledley when we now have Gordon, Van Dijk, Bitton, Guidetti and Johansen.

Gordon>Forster
    Van Dijk and Wanyama there's * all in it
    Bitton>Ki
    Guidetti < Hooper. but each at their best there's not a lot in it
    Johansen>Ledley (imo)