1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Lustig Walk Right Back Into the Starting XI?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Mar 3, 2015.

Discuss Does Lustig Walk Right Back Into the Starting XI? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    As the thread title says, Lustig is one of our most important players, he's a leader on the park and he is a very good player to boot. However, Matthews is in a run of form that showed why at one point he was one of the most exciting young fullbacks in Europe for me.

His attacking play and composure on the ball has been excellent, he's setting up goals for fun, his defensive side has been solid and he's building a very good partnership with Gary Mackay-Steven on the right hand side of the pitch, building a threat from that side that we've not saw in a long time.

As good as Lustig is and as much of a fan favourite as he is I don't think anyone in the team should be guarenteed a starting spot, for me it's upto Lustig to earn his place back off of Matthews.

There will be some rotation in that position due to how injury prone the two, so the position is open to be won back.

What do people think?

2. murphy88

Lustig will need to earn his place back in the team. I wouldn't be against seeing Lustig at right back, with Matthews at left back either, if Izaguirre was to hit a slump in form. Just gives us yet more options with Lustig back fit.

3. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How long is Izzy out for? He's taken a lot of flak lately, maybe give Matthews a run at LB and put Lustig back at RB?

4. PaddyJamieson

Definitely needs to earn it, but that might simply be on the training pitch. If he gets back to full training and Ronny deems him worthy of starting ahead of Matthews I'll consider that as him earning it. We've seen enough evidence to suggest that Ronny doesn't play favourites.

I'm just so happy to have Matthews back close to the form he was in pre-slump.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It is an option to get both into the team, I prefer the balance Izzy brings though. Might be a good kick up the * for him to know he's not the only player that can play there. Mulgrew is back soon as well.

Broken hand, so anybodies guess. Could be binded up and played with a cast on next game or it could be a while.

6. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
  7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Matthews is finally finding his form again so I would want to see him kept in the team, or give them a game each since there's a good few fixtures coming up. Izzy will probably play tomorrow if it is just a broken finger or hand.

8. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Would love Lustig and Matthews to play, if both are on top form. Izzy's great, but he needs a break (no pun intended).

9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yep, no doubt.

Best right back we've had since the best RB the world has ever seen..............Danny Mc!

10. Green Socks

Lustig - one of my favorite players at the club right now, love watching the guy play and always feel a lot safer when he's playing.

Matthews - seems to go on and off the boil. Playing well right now but has moments in defense where he is really shaky. Watched him break his collar bone in a game last season and I don't think he really recovered from that until a few weeks ago.

I voted no. Need to make the most of Matthews confidence and form, wouldn't even move positions to fit Lustig, would maybe even get Lustig to play a few games at CB where I thought he's been good when he played. Might need him fit for that position next season.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He probably won't but it it was up to me then definitely. Far superior player to Matthews.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Nobody should walk back into the team if the person in front of them is doing the business.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    All places should be earned and no automatic starters, well apart from Broony ,Gordon .. hmm maybe there are a few automatic picks after all :icon_mrgreen:

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They're automatic picks due to they're form and ability on the pitch. If players came in and do better than them, they shouldn't be playing either.

15. Davie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bitton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I've always liked Mathews, but for me Lustig goes back in because he's been the most consistant RB this season, guy never has a bad game

16. murphy88

I was just about to post the same thing. If Matthews was struggling for form, then I would be of the opinion that Lustig should walk straight back into the team, but Matthews has been brilliant for us in recent weeks, and deserves his place in the starting lineup at the minute.

17. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Matthews is starting to find the right final ball on a regular basis , and is becoming an important player for us .

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I know hence the :icon_mrgreen: . The team is playing well and basically picks its self most weeks therefore it would be wrong for Lustig to just walk back into the starting 11.

19. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Yes and put Matthews to left back.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

How much of a left foot does he have though?

That is seriously going to curtail his attacking ability.