1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We need to get players off the wage bill

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Vertie Auld, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss We need to get players off the wage bill in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vertie Auld

The players in bold have made 5 or fewer appearances for Celtic this season (not including players who have just signed):

We have almost 40 (fourty!) first team players and 2/5 of them, for all intents and purposes, are not Celtic players. Our squad is at bursting point and we really can't afford (financially and otherwise) to keep signing players while these players are still on the books. We've only managed to shift three or four players this window and it doesn't look like any more will be leaving today and yet we're looking to add players.

Not just that but there're positions where we have four or five players competing for a starting place (on the wings surprisingly, where we're arguably weakest) and other positions where we're dangerously short (left-back, centre-half).

I don't think any of us would lose any sleep if the players highlighted above were allowed to leave and there're others like Wakaso and Tonev who don't look to have any future here. People are worried about potential signings like Armstrong blocking the progress of Henderson but it's these players who are congesting the flow of academy players into the first team.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  2. VikingBhoy

We need a player like Zaluska in case Gordon gets injured. I agree with everything else.

3. TimFloyd Gold Member

If we had a collecting deadwood competition we would be world champions, it always gets on my * how many players we sign (sometimes for decent money) and they contribute sweet * all but a place on the bench.

A streamline squad of players all worthy of holding first team places is what's needed.

4. kevgal1888

Far to many midfielders!

5. Vertie Auld

Aye, of course we need a back-up goalkeeper. :smiley-laughing002:

I'd rather young player who could eventually replace Gordon (Fasan, perhaps) but it's not too important an issue.

6. Murph-E

Agree with most, but I'd add Stokes and McGregor to the punt list.

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    That is some amount of waste right enough.Its easy to forget how many players we have.

8. Dáibhí

The players bolded below I personally wouldn't mind seeing the back of right away;

Zaluska
    Boerrigter
    Baldé
    Pukki
    Friðjónsson
    Rogic

As for the rest;

Fasan - I've been impressed with him whenever I've seen him, and I wouldn't mind seeing him taking the step up to number 2 instead of zaluska.

The next season or so will either make or break his time with us I think.

Fisher - He's had a few injury worries but he's another i'd keep for the time being. He looked decent enough when he was given an extended run, and I'd look to put him out on loan.

O'Connell, Waters, Findlay & McGeouch are all guys I'd happily see us keep a hold of for now to see how they progress before making a decision on them.

Chalmers - He looked promising a few years back, making appearances for the nation side at under 17 & under 19 level, but he seems to have faded, and at 21 I don't see him making the break through.

He looked at home during his spell with Falkirk, and I think that's his level.

John Herron is another that i'd place in this bracket. He came into the side over two years ago and hasn't really kicked on from there, has he?

Twardzik is another who seems to fall into the same category as the above, but he does seem to have something about him. I'd try and get him out on loan to a European club, get him some experience and see what he has to offer in a season or so.

Irvine looked to be a decent prospect, but I'm not sure if recent stints at SPFL clubs has shown that to be his level? I don't see him making any major contributions to our club anyway, so I'd likely let him go.

9. Murph-E

There's no point holding onto players who definitely aren't good just because they came through our youth system. No way you can be happy to lose Rogic and Pukki but want to keep Calum Waters and John Herron.

10. Dáibhí

I said i'd like to see Herron punted, but I think Waters is worth holding onto for now.

11. Vertie Auld

That's true.

12. magicseven

Why the * Ronny wants to keep hold of Ambrose I'll never know:97:
    He's a calamity waiting to happen, a ticking time bomb, his positioning is diabolical and I never want to see him in a celtic shirt again.

13. Murph-E

He's still our 3rd best centre back with a * of a lot of experience for a guy his age. I'm not opposed to him staying at all.

14. Croogle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So we don't go into the qualifiers next season with just Mulgrew at CB.

15. Dáibhí

The question is, is he actually 26 years old, or is he a Nigerian 26 years old? :smiley-laughing002:

16. magicseven

You must be a *. He's single-handedly lost us some very important matches, especially in Europe. I'd rather have anyone but him in the squad.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Deila has went public with the fact our squad is far too bloated and he's already outlaid his plans to trim it right down and supplement it with younger players.

We can see that starting to happen already and he's only just started the job, in relative terms.

18. Vertie Auld

Rogić - 23
    McGeouch - 22
    Twardzik - 21 (22 this month)
    Irvine - 21 (22 in March)
    Fasan - 21
    Herron 20 (21 this month)
    Fisher - 20 (21 in April)
    O'Connell - 19
    Findlay - 19
    Waters - 18 (19 in March)

19. VikingBhoy

Info from transfermarkt. A lot of contracts are expiring this summer, but we're stuck with Boerrigter until next year. Pukki, Balde, Rogic and Fridjonsson all have contracts that run until 2017.

20. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agreed. It's a shame for some of those guys on the list, hyped up at youth level but have never made the step up at Celtic. Is Paul George still with us? He used to run riot for the unders, got a bad injury about 3 year ago and I've never seen anything about him since.