1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Top tier closure

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ether67, Oct 2, 2014.

Discuss Top tier closure in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Elephant Stone

It's understandable that some season ticket holders don't fancy paying an extra £60 on top of what they've all ready spent. Maybe the board should've predicted that and let season ticket holders in for free.

2. Cmcgregor90

That's because it's been payed for ! You telling me the non season ticket holder who avoid tonight will buy a ticket for Sunday pile a * am not just slating season ticket holders here

3. Millerntor

I am talking about the bigger picture here, not simply not signing one or two players. It's not all about us not spending money when you consider our resources far exceed opponents.

4. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    To many people would rather sit on their * flicking between their stream and TalkCeltic forum moaning at every single bad pass IMO.

There was a time were our fans went to every match and on any European night not just champions league we had a full house or close to and our ground was known as a fortress we had the very biggest teams on the planet coming to CP and struggling to cope with the sheer volume and boos that rang round every time they touched the ball anytime I go to CP now its half empty and the boos and moaning is chronic but one thing I will never do is stop going to see the team I love for any reason unless its financially impossible .

Another thing I have heard so many people say is their sick and tired of lack of investment in the team so as a protest against the board they wont bother their * renewing their season book or going to games .......well unfortunately fallen attendances is actually a big hit on the clubs finances and if things continue to fall nothing will get better in fact most likely we will see darker days ahead .

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    You could slam that a section but i was agreeing with Murphy that Not all will and everyone has there reasons..

It's * mate i agree, 26 thousand is a shambles, i thought we'd at least sell the whole bottom out which i think would be a good crowd i wouldn't get worked up over it.. This.is where we're at, it's going to get worse, get used to it..

6. chanbhoy67

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Listen mate, Ive not missed a game all season, Murrayfield included. The last time we were in Europa I was at every home game bar Udinese as I was away. I know its not a lot of money over the 3 months and maybe I should have clarified that because I cant get my normal seat wasn't the only reason it was just a deciding factor HH

7. -Stuart-

Not going cause I'm skint but at the same time, my season ticket is in a great seat up the top on the half way line, wouldn't want to watch it from anywhere else I don't think, then again if I had the cash I'd go and moan about the seat afterwards

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't understand why so many see the Europa as 'beneath us' or whatever, sheer football snobbery:56:

At the end of the day it's still Europe, tickets are cheaper and we have more chance of winning and progressing in the tournament, why not turn up?

9. TheHappyLoss

Don't think its because of that mate. Think it's cos some aren't willing to pay money after Lawwell did * all to aid our qualification for the CL and we're playing pish. Many just don't want to watch Celtic anymore.

10. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    People need to stop thinking we should sell out every week, we play in a * league, have a predominantly working class fanbase, have zero competition whatsoever, and our games for the most part are boring, *, turgid affairs. Outside of England and Germany, virtually no country has good attendances these days. Any time I watch a French, Spanish (excluding the big 3), Italian or Portugese game the crowds are shocking - far worse than ours.

The only games we have ever sold out in the last 10-20 years have been hun games, massive CL ones (i.e. Barca and Man U) and latter stage UEFA cup games (basically 2 or 3 games on that one run to Seville).

Closing the upper tier is the only sensible option in the current climate, and will stay that way for at least the forseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  11. TheHappyLoss

Do you work in the PR department? :smiley-laughing002:

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's funny how different people have different preferences. I always liked upper JS or upper LL. Could see so much more of the movement IMO (freezing in winter, but).

13. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    No chance, you think Celtic's PR department would come out with the truth?!?

#BeCeltic and join 60000 others sitting in glorious harmonious tim revelry as we take on eastern Europe's elite in the world's prestige tournament with no strikers :rolleyes:

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fixed that for you.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Maybe for some it is because of that, but not every fan feels that way. The prices for tickets are pretty reasonable for me.

It was the same in the last Europa campaign. Not talking about 60k sellouts here against Zagreb but even 40-42k would be a good turnout, which our support is well capable of doing.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You see, this attitude is the problem! These are decent teams (certainly teams capable of beating us!) and it's a decent competition. If we want to play Dortmund and Real in "the world's prestige tournament", we have to earn that. Meanwhile we were beaten by Maribor and absolutely skelped to * by Legia, so I'm not quite sure where you get the sarcastic comment about "eastern Europe's elite".

17. CelticKurd

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony and Willie Maley
    I expext atleast 35k anyone know how many tickets have been sold until now?

18. TheHappyLoss

:smiley-laughing002: To be honest I think I only still go to the games cos I cannae think of * all else to do :54:

Was being flippant in my reply. 30k is a good crowd for a game like this :50:

19. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    They're better than us at the minute but shouldn't be. We have far bigger resources than every single team we've played this season, every one of them (domestically and in Europe). We should lose to the likes of Real and Dortmund, but beat the likes of Malmo, Zagreb and Maribor, excluding the odd upset which of course happens to everyone.

I'm not being arrogant or sarcastic, those are just the facts. The board * us right up the * this year and last.

I agree with you, like I said 60k is the rarity for us, we get it on average 5 times a year for the last decade or more, but the club's pr :)86:) has made everyone think we get it each week, hence all the embarrrassing interviews with new players proclaiming "I am delighted to be at such a big club, playing infront of 60 thousand fans every week, it's a dream come true".

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The truth is much more complicated than that, though. There are many factors which make it harder for us.

1) Bluntly put, Scotland is not an attractive place to live compared to Slovenia by quite a distance. Poland is a bit more arguable but I would personally argue that it is a better place to live than Scotland.
    2) The Scottish league is now one of the least attractive in Europe.
    3) The same wage goes much further in Poland and Slovenia.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Slovenia&country2=United+Kingdom

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Slovenia&country2=United+Kingdom

This means we have to pay much higher than clubs in Poland and Slovenia to attract the same calibre of player.

4) Scotland produces far fewer quality homegrown players than Slovenia and Poland.
    5) Scotland is not part of that cultural area. Moving to Scotland involves a far greater physical distance from your friends and family and a far greater cultural and linguistic adjustment than moving to another Slavic country. This gives the bigger clubs in that area, such as Legia, a pretty decent pool of talent that, again, we. could only tempt by paying far more than Legia would have to

The upshot is that we have to pay more for a given quality of player than clubs like Legia, not through any incompetence on our part but due to language, culture, geography and economics.