1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the pedigree of the player we can attract changed drastically since Seville?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Vertie Auld, Aug 17, 2014.

Discuss Has the pedigree of the player we can attract changed drastically since Seville? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vertie Auld

When they left their clubs to join Celtic or on the back of what they achieved at Celtic? I can't see CSKA Sofia demanding a £20m fee for anyone.

2. -Stuart-

Every time I see the bench for that game I die a little inside....screaming out for one quality player who could change a game...Maloney wasn't good enough at the time, McNamara not that kind of player but Sylla and Fernandez. * me

3. Ninefingers

I don't think the quality has drastically changed. I think the football world has moved on as we have stood still due to our constraints. The EPL is sucking the life out of the game, the money being thrown about these says is just outrageous.

Change is needed.

4. bassbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ronnie Simpson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    think the Seville team with Boruc or Forster in goal would have won the UEFA cup
    at that time we could buy players from english premiership sides.
    now money wise we are looking at lower level championship and league 1 players.
    That doesnt mean that with good scouting and coaching that we cant get top quality players, but its a lot harder than it used to be,
    if we had retained the services of Wanyama, hooper, McGeady,Ledley.
    and bought McCarthy and Steven Fletcher when we were able to we would have a higher quality team ,but keeping good players isnt happening right now

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Unfortunately we'd never end up with a side as good or better than that because of one reason....Henrik Larsson. Never see the likes of him again I don't think, we'd need to spend way beyond our means to get near a player of his quality. Even then it wouldn't be the same. Chances of us signing a player for 650k and him turning into 'A Larsson' is almost impossible as well.

6. bassbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ronnie Simpson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    absolutely correct (sadly)

7. ulsterscot

Vert do you not think Celtic are employing professional football people who have more knowledge than you or me and are using all their abilities to be as smart as possible in the transfer business .
    One would be forgiven for thinking that there are posters on here , who think that the Celtic Board couldn't careless how poor the quality of player they buy . I think everyone wants as much success as possible but the difference is in the method and approach .

8. Glasgow_Bhoy88

We didn't sign Hartson from Arsenal, it was Coventry.

9. Glasgow_Bhoy88

By all accounts Sol Campbell was the first 100k per week player and that was 1 year after Chris Sutton joined us.

Nowadays 1/2 the Man City, Chelsea and Man United teams are on that much.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the very best players are much more concentrated in the top clubs now, even in the big 4 leagues. It makes any comparison of where we bought players very difficult TBH.
    People talk about Moravcik never playing for a big club before us; but that wasn't that uncommon back then. Look at Shearer turning down Man Utd for Newcastle.

11. Vertie Auld

I wasn't having a go at the board and I'm not of that opinion so you can take your condescending attitude and shove it up your *. :bbpd:

12. Vertie Auld

That's a very good point actually.

13. Vertie Auld

There's always room for improvement in how you go about your business. If there wasn't, we wouldn't be picking up players like Baldé and Bangura.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Forster, Denayer, Henchoz, Braafheid, Hinkel, Crosas, Sno, Roy Keane, Gravesen, Jarosik, Donati, Samaras, Vennegoor, Boerrigter, Pukki, Robbie Keane and Aliadiere joined from Newcastle, Man City, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Sevilla, Barcelona, Feyenoord, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Chelsea, AC Milan, Man City, PSV, Ajax, Schalke, Tottenham and Arsenal. :56:

15. JamesM09

See? We ARE a big club. :50:

16. Vertie Auld

Don't forget Ibrahim from PSV. :smiley-laughing002:

17. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Aye