1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where would we be without Peter Lawell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Idioteque, Aug 16, 2014.

Discuss Where would we be without Peter Lawell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

That isn't true though to be fair. If that were the case, then every GB member would be banned, but they aren't. They can go to games if they want, however, they want the group to be together in the ground, which can only be a good thing. Look at the game at the weekend, it's some of the best football I've seen from a Celtic team in quite a while, but the atmosphere was still very poor. There should definitely be a singing section in my opinion, where like minded fans, can all sit together. Everyone is a winner.

Lawwell should have been shown the door when he used the line "give them enough rope to hand themselves" in regards to Celtic fans. Absolutely disgusting way to talk about supporters.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Lawell was definitely at the heart of disbanding the GB, I've absolutely no doubt about that. There was even members of other Celtic supporters groups telling us that at the time. I think the few little rule breaks, such as lateral movement, was very convenient for Lawell in as much as they weren't really doing any harm but he could use it to get rid of them.

3. Lennon2011

What i don't understand is why? What is the benefit of removing our loudest and most organised section of the support..

4. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    I assumed at the time the negative press they were receiving was probably viewed as making Celtic a less marketable entity. The Bobby Sands/ William Wallace display etc. I'm not sure sponsors and investors would maybe want that attached to their brand or themselves. For me though they've done next to nothing wrong, in fact id say with the food drives and other bits they've probably done more good than bad, but those bits rarely make the press and i suppose that doesn't matter when there is money to be made or lost.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm 100% behind the GB but that simply isn't true (why do people always state that something is fact precisely when it isn't?). They are not banned from the stadium and are allowed to buy tickets "in the same way as any other supporter"; the club is delaying on allowing to buy tickets as a block, i.e. have their own section.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon, we need them back IMO.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Course it could. Lawwell would have to be mental to go ahead with that idea.

Council are being dicks, though, right enough.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's such a shame because I thought the experiment at Murrayfield of allowing the GB to control tickets for their section was a brilliant success. Gives them the ability to police their own section and stop some people breaking seats and letting off pyro (I'm all for them breaking the stupid rule on lateral movement).

Really thought this was sorted.

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Just got my application to build a house turned down from the council .. I will just ignore that and crack on, as what they gonna do at the end of the day.:icon_mrgreen:

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This is what is wrong with modern football. The readiness to bow down to any bullshit rule laid down by people who couldn't give a * about working class people going to the match. If they had their way the whole stadium would be corporate.

Oh no, football fans are jumping about, shock * horror.

Lateral movement looks dangerous. :smiley-laughing002: Crabs have been doing it for 450 million years and they get along just fine.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :50:

Even if it is dangerous (I'm not saying it is), it's only dangerous to the ones participating, * has it got to do with anyone else? Let them get on with it: it looks great and hurts no one.

11. murphy88

The lateral movement was used as just another stick to hit the GB with in my opinion.

Did the board not get found out lying in regards to that also, when they used stadium closure as a scaremongering tactic. Pretty sure that got quashed.

12. Glasgow_Bhoy88

That would be moronic, it was shot down by the safety advisory group which contains people from the 3 emergency services. There is no way Celtic or GCC would allowed this to go ahead without approval as they would be at risk of being found negligent if anyone was harmed.

All we would get is either the Club sued or the stadium closed.

13. wulliebad

But the club can't take that stance(pardon the pun).
    If the club does not act on things happening within their ground then they are liable.
    Dancing round like a * then some * gets bumped and ends up rolling down some steps...it would be in court before the whistle went at full time.

Im not saying its right but i can see why they act like they do.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree it'd be moronic. You got a link saying it was the SAG that shot this down? I find that unlikely. Agree with the rest of your post.

15. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    See all the guys that say 'we need the GB back for atmo' why dont you try singing, it might catch on after all thats what used to happen at the football.

The GB were never there for other fans entertainment!!! All they wanted to do was create some atmo and hope that even some of the fans would join in.

16. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    As for the safe standing, look at it this way, Germany have just won the World Cup, have near enough the best league, best stadiums and some of the best supporters along with clubs that are light years away from most others.

Clubs subsidies fan transport & tickets. They provide safe standing in the thousands with no problems & also involve fan groups with in the clubs.

Whats not to like, its the model we should aim for.

And there is nothing wrong with terraces or safe standing, more people die traveling in cars, trains, airplanes or on boats each year but they are never banned. (just an example)...

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was surprised at how much stick those Indy Bhoys guys got on here after the game. They failed completely to get an atmosphere going but at least you could hear them trying (admittedly I was watching on the computer, maybe they were really annoying if you were there). I quite like the idea of two Ultras groups.

18. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Cause apparently they were singing more about the huns than celtic

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think we should start Europe's first gay ultras group. They could call themselves the Batty Bhoys.

20. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Rainbow flags everywhere