1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is identifying our transfer targets? (Delia/Lawwell)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by liammcdowell, Aug 11, 2014.

Discuss Who is identifying our transfer targets? (Delia/Lawwell) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Everyone and their dog knows that Lenny left because Lawwell repeatedly ignored his requests for bigger contracts for his top players, and refused to give him even 50% of the income received for players. Sammy was the final straw although he'd made up his mind last season. As for public comment, both Lennon and Samaras came out on numerous occasions stating not too subtly that both parties wanted each other to remain at Celtic, but that no contract had been forthcoming. It was as blatant a stab at Lawwell as you were ever gonna get from such consummate professionals.

You didn't need a press conference, just to not be a clueless muppet with your head in the sand to know that.

2. ttj

Legia tie should be a lesson for Lawell. There are good players in eastern european leagues. As i stated somewhere else there is like 5 players only from polish league that would have made a diffrence from day one. And thats only polish league. Think how much more talent you can find in Serbian or Croatian league but for that you need widespread scouting net.

And they would cost much less than SPL players.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  3. made in ireland

I agree with you. I think Celtic would be better off looking into the Eastern European markets for players, as opposed to the dross in the SPL.

4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It's Park et al, clearly - as is their job. Deila will look at the targets and go, 'him, him and him, please'. Lawwell will then go and negotiate a move for the ones we can afford.

5. Damnati

I can't believe that this is being brought up again, it's utterly ridiculous.

6. Maestro 08

Well me and my dog are obviously not as in the know as you. I'm of the opinion he chucked it because he thought he had taken the club as far as he could, was no longer enjoying it as much as he had and was looking for a new challenge. He was well aware of the restraints regarding the budget of the club and was comfortable with it. I'm not the only one who thinks along these lines.

This thread was to debate who we thought signed the players for our club, you clearly think its Lawell and I tried to point you in the direction of a piece on Peter Houston who has inside knowledge of how we operate our transfer dealings. This seems to contradict your opinion but it seems you'll only see what you want to believe.

Calling me a clueless muppet............people in glass houses and all that. This from a guy who says the sole reason we made it to Seville was Henrik Larsson and Larsson alone in a recent thread.

In the future try an take people's opinions on board and debate reasonably as it appears when someone doesn't take your point of view the toys come out the pram. Muppet :rolleyes:

7. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Lawwell and his son.

8. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I don't think there's any doubt in my mind that people above delia have a big say on who we are signing!

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Well Berget is clearly a Deila signing and I'd imagine the Man City defender too, given Deila's previous dealings with city at Stromgodset.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, those two are his.

Gordon was Lawwell's. Tonev, who knows.

11. Wicker Bhoy

Gone can the people who think that Lawell is picking and signing all these players actually go and read the numerous articles and statements by our current management team, ex-management team, and our ex-scouts who have all revealed how it works and all pretty much say the exact same thing. The scouts find the players, the manager picks the players and Lawell tries to get those players in. Its * infuriating that people ignore all the well documented evidence and just bang on that they think its Lawell

12. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I'm not saying it's just lawell mate.. I don't have a vendetta against him like a lot of the people on this forum do... however what I will say is he has a big say probably aswell as the head scout and a couple others n who comes in.. I think our managers have mostly coaching rolls at the club. We heard lennon say on numerous occasions he did not have control of who stayed at the club as he did not have any input in negotations what so ever. * he used to look lost when people who ask how player contract negotations were going. He didn't have a clue.

As I said I am 100% convinced the manager is not the biggest voice when it comes to who comes to celtic.

13. Wicker Bhoy

That depends what you mean though. Obviously if the manager turns round and say I want such and such a striker, he is going to cost £6m then Lawell will say no, as that is outside of our budget. But for the most part Delia and Park work together to see which targets the manager is happy with and then Lawell brings them in.

At no point in Lawell's reign has he signed a player over the managers head, which I think is what a lot of people are suggesting. The only occasions which stand out for me in that way are the two Keane's, but i think that had more to do with DD than anything else.

14. Bangarangura

not really bothered who it is, managers bringing there own players in can be horrendous at times, look at the mess di canio made of Sunderland for example, i'd say what we have going on is quite a common model among big European clubs

15. Bhoys Abroad

Who is identifying our transfer targets? I can only imagine it is the bank manager, who has set a transfer budget of £10 for the summer but he is only willing to spend the £10 if Celtic sell Forster for £10 million and then sell VVD for another £10 million. So far so good :38:. So great to believe that Celtic have brought back the biscuit tin, now in full use.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  16. Partickbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG/LET THE PEOPLE SING
    Well I have to say that I am really surprised that Pete has gone all out and spent the dosh.....for a minute I thought he might try a sneaky free or a cheap loan/trial.

:97:

17. goodybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    we have a scouting system that PL put together and obviously RD came in and looked at our scouting networks findings and has also looked at his own type of players (guy from crystal palace and also apparently trying to buy a stumsgart goalkeeper)

so I think its a bit of both. I seriously doubt about PL is sitting in his office watching YouTube clips & going "ohh he's dyna, I want him"

think Celtic has drained all the high earners from the team so we can try n go on another direction. Proper development, and I honestly think thats why Ronny was brought in.

buy young, develop young and balance it with some quality experienced players (hopefully we'll get that) haha

18. kieranc

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think Lawwell's son is identifying quite a few.

19. Damnati

Why does it have to be any one persons signing? It's a cumulative effort of the whole scouting staff, Deila & Lawwell. I don't for a second think that Deila ever gets given a player that he hasn't given the go ahead for.

This argument really * me off :56:

20. made in ireland

Lawwell really is taking the supporters for mugs... again. There are cut-backs taking place all over the club, except of course in his pocket. This is a guy who is paid a Champions League club CEO salary, and yet the product he is providing is completely substandard. This is even before you take into account the fact he has overseen a period in which crowds have dwindled, with many fans understandably put off by the way in which the club has been complicit in criminalizing its own supporters.

Whether Celtic manage to scrape through against Maribor or not, I think it's clear that Lawwell has to go.