1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Maloney Rumours For A Villa Perspective

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Villaman2312, Sep 9, 2007.

Discuss The Maloney Rumours For A Villa Perspective in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Villaman2312

I've read another report today which carries the 'Maloney is homesick and want to return to Glasgow' point. These rumours are starting to get a little annoying now, the timing of this article even more so considering the window has only just slammed shut.

The fact of the matter is that if Maloney was in fact as homesick as some of the Scottish press are making out, he would have rejoined the Bhoys by now. I would not blame Celtic supporters for wanting Maloney back, he is a fantastic player and one who, as he proved yesterday, can make a real difference to a team.

But what I don't like is the mentality of the Scottish press, I don't deny for 1 minute that Celtic are a very big club, and in some aspects, such as fanbase, an absolutely massive club, as well as being the biggest in Scotland, but because the Scottish league in the majority is a 2-3 horse race, you can't help but deduce from these articles that they (the press) can't quite believe that a shining star for one of the Old Firm is now a bench player for a supposedly average Premiership club. I'm not one of these people who says that the Scottish league is a mickey mouse league, because the EPL is turning out exactly the same, but to call Villa a small club is just as short-sighted, given the situation.

The EPL has some world-class players, so for wee Shaun to come and play week-in week-out for a Premiership club immediately after signing from Celtic would probably not help him as he will have no time to settle in. This is where the truth hurts. The occasional lack of competitiveness in the Scottish league means that it takes a player like Maloney a long time to adjust. The only way it could possibly be different is if he signed for a club like Fulham, Bolton, or Reading. But he didn't, he signed for Aston Villa, another big club.

In short, I wish the Scottish press would just shut up, and let him get on with his job and settle in, because it may well be time to face facts, Maloney will 99% not come back.

2. MacDanny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Lambert
    Amen to that, we've been praying for such a miracle since the club's been founded

3. fiferjim

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    And so say all of us :84:

4. fiferjim

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Why r u villa fans reading the scottish press?

Whats wrong with the brum advertiser or whatever u have??

5. Villaman2312

I'm not, but the Scottish stories about Villa are on the internet.

6. fiferjim

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    OK but no one pays attention to the press up here and the English press isn't any better. Ronaldhino was supposed to be a Chelsea by now..

7. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Read the article in the Sunday Mail about Maloney, he sounds desperate to return.

8. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    Looks like Maloney himself and his agent are trying to engineer a return to Celtic. Not the club or the press.

9. fiferjim

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Agent must be a hungry *. He's just got him a move away now he's looking for more money or a move back. I think agents should be non proffit making and employed by the league.

10. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    I think he will return ;(

11. celticmad117

Fav Celtic Player:
    The holy goalie, arthur boruc
    Ive lost all thought for this story. If he wants to come back all he really has to do is ask...

12. Sideshow Bob

Nah he should stay where he is, don't want him back at the club albeit Maloney has said it was a mistake leaving Celtic, hindsight is a glorious tool eh wee man??

Tommy burns got it spot on "He'll regret leaving Celtic" Well said.

13. Ryan67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maloney did a full page interview on sunday talking bout the situation. what were the press ment to do just not print it?

he would have came back if it wasnt for O'Neill refusing to let him go at the last minute.

and compared to celtic, villa are a small team

14. celtic warrior

well it's a never ending thing, these reports on maloney.

i say IF he does come back, take a wage cut and fight for your place.

TBF if he can perform for us and help get us result i couldn't care less about the past if he were to help the furture then i'd say welcome back and be prepared to fight for the fans and for the club's respect and love

15. miller1888

I see the point you're making in this post, most of it valid! The one consideration you don't highlight is the fact that it's Maloney and his agent who are putting out the story about a potential move away from Villa and his desire to return to Celtic

16. gunt

I read it and he basically is clear he wants back adn regretted his move. He hinted that he could move in the next deadline. It seems that a last minute attempt was made to bring him back but it colllapsed. Unless MON stops it, he will be back here by the end of the season, maybe even at Xmas.

17. shaunhail92

18. Villaman2312

I read a different article in the Scotsman.

19. GuitarBhoy

Gangland, Vancouver, BC, The Great White North
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic
    i would take him back

20. regicfc

midfielder Shaun Maloney want to leave the club when the transfer window opens in January. (Daily Mirror)

from bbc !