1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Southampton FC

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Seosamh Máirtín, Jul 6, 2014.

Discuss Southampton FC in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

* off really

Who gives a * * bout southampton

2. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    My choice to go down next season.

3. Sonny7

Why are we having a bad summer:97::39:

4. Seosamh Máirtín

It's called a World Football forum, and well, anyone that is interested in the game really. It is an intriguing development in one of the best leagues in the world. Very much worth discussion, I thought.

I have my doubts whether the cash will be appropriately added to the teams budget. They have admitted they have debts (few clubs are so bold - not a good sign), probably will want to expand their stadium with a view to cementing their future, etc.

There is always the risk they'll * up rebuilding, too.

5. Seosamh Máirtín

Considering you just posted in the other thread, explaining why, you probably should know. Besides, it was merely a point of perspective.

6. Sonny7

Do you think were having a bad summer?

7. Celtic loon 87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Hope they get relegated

8. Nasser

This. Much like Reading fans who also have this sense they are bigger than they actually are.

9. Andy Thom 66

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikel Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is our land
    The money makes them arrogant same as a good few done there.
    Celtic are a global name and the only thing Southampton have on us is the money from the league they play in. You wont see many Southampton tops in America, croatia, japan etc.
    * them !!

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Always going to happen when you don't have the fan base to sustain growth, they will continue to have these cycles of players being developed and leaving.

11. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Aye fair enough.

I was pished when i posted.

Mon the Saints.

Matt le tiss was one of the most gifted footballers i ever seen.

12. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

I wouldn't know, I've never been there. :icon_mrgreen:

13. Andy Thom 66

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikel Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is our land
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    They may have brought in some good money but when you lose that many of your most important players and your manager in one summer that is a lot signings you have to get right and a new manager who has to be able to put it all together and develop a good working relationship with the players. Could be a rough season up coming for Southampton especially in the early going I think.

15. soton

I love reading this forum. I posted a lot in the Wanyama thread last year.

I am sad to see that my club is getting some abuse here but not much I can do about a perception nor a few idiots that have posted here in the past. Rest assured not all Saints fans are dickheads who have delusions of grandeur. We have a few that go too far the other way and paint everything as if the world is going to end. Mostly we are just normal fans like you.

You will find many, many realists among us who never believed for one second we could ever break through the glass ceiling that exists for our club. It would take £200m of investment to get close to the top 4 in the EPL. We were never going to spend that.

You are correct about one thing though; money has totally f**ked up the game. We have been major beneficiaries from some excellent investment to lift us from League 1 to the Prem which other more notable clubs would love to have: Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Derby County to name but three.

Our current situation seems to stem from a dream our previous CEO, visionary and some would say megalomaniac Nicola Cortese's departure. It has been stated by players that have left (except Lambert) and those that want to leave that Cortese's departure is the catalyst for our players assuming we are no longer ambitious. Er.. last time I looked Southampton have always sold players when silly money gets offered for them, Shearer (then a club record transfer), Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bale and now the new bunch.

What annoys the * out of me is that these players, along with Pochettino seem to have totally bought into this man's vision rather than playing for our club! A small provincial club with no history and certainly lacking in supporter numbers compared to the biggest clubs in Britain.

However, we are a very proud club with traditions and loyal supporters. Most of us know our place but we expect a player to sign for the red n white stripes (now rightfully returned for next season), we expect a player to follow in the foot steps of Ron Dennis, Alan Ball, Terry Paine, Mick Channon, Shilton, Keegan, Le Tissier, Shearer etc etc. We expect them to wear the shirt with pride and represent us on the pitch.

Lambert has left a hero. A man signed for just over a million pounds in League 1 (there's our spending right there) and basically notched his way into Saints history as we rose through the leagues. Who can begrudge him a dream move at his age? Not Saints. He left with the best of wishes. A talisman if ever there was one.

We got offered silly money for Shaw and he wanted to go anyway as our project was over apparently. I wish him well and thanks for remaining dignified and enabling us to receive a massive fee.

Our captain Lallana has been the biggest disappointment thus far. A man who we thought was happy to remain at Saints (he said as much last year). He has acted terribly in his protracted transfer to Liverpool. He has basically stuck two fingers up at Saints by saying he was dreaming of the move to Anfield whilst still our captain last season!!! Imagine that! Imagine saying it in your first interview for Liverpool tv. Safe to say he has lost pretty much all the esteem he was held in. What a shame. 14 years at the club and from the academy to the captains armband. Can I blame him for the move? No not really but there is a way to go about it.

Lovren is just a mercenary that's obvious. He's been with us 1 year and wants out because we are no longer ambitious. Did these players truly believe they were signing for a team that was capable of breaking into the CL places??? Who was advising them??? Crazy.

Do I think we are in trouble next season? Well the club isn't in as much turmoil as the media and want-a-way players would have you believe. The owner is the daughter of the late Markus Leibherr who does seem committed to the club. She has continued to invest in the infrastructure and obviously the appointment of Koeman rather than a cheaper option would suggest she at least wants to remain competitive. A lot depends on who we bring in to replace the out-going players. Tadic is a great start and hopefully he will pick up where Lallana left off.

The biggest loss for me would be Morgan Schneiderlin. This kid is so good its not true. He has also carried himself with dignity thus far and has kept his word by speaking to Koeman. He has stated he is keeping a holding-brief to see who Koeman signs before committing his future. No strike action from Morgan and he doesn't seem the type. The lure of Wenger and CL football may be too much for us to keep him though.

Anyway, I've waffled enough.. I guess this is a thread about Saints so its okay to post here.

Just to finish up by saying don't tar us all with the same brush. Most of us know we will amount to nothing, win nothing and basically continue to sell to buy. We have always done it and always will have to.

Hail Hail

Up the Saints

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  16. murphy88

A very honest assessment Soton, and a very good post also. I haven't read through all of the thread, but if there are some giving Southampton and a section of your support a bit of stick, it has most likely stemmed from a guy on here a while back, a Southampton fan, saying pretty much the exact opposite to what you did. I can't remember his username on here, but he was living in a fantasy land if I remember correctly. I'm almost certain he was one that thought top 4 was on the horizon, along with a new stadium I think. That might be in the pipeline to be fair, I'm not sure.

17. RocknRolla67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All of Em
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I really like Southampton, I appreciate a youth academy that has produced Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chambelain, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, etc. Last year they were easily one of my favorite teams to watch in the EPL and I hate how in modern football if a mid-level team has a decent season or two they suddenly get ripped to shreds. I know a lot of it has to do with Coretese leaving but it also has to do with the 'money is power' mentality of football.
    I hope they reinvest the money they have taken in and I was glad to see they started by signing a great player in Dusan Tadic.

18. Seosamh Máirtín

Thanks for posting, Saint. :50:

19. Lparsons7641

I wouldn't call it a *bad* transfer window.

They just have to reinvest some of the money. They were bound to lose players after having a good season, just the nature of the game now it seems.

If they don't add some pieces, then it is a bad summer!

20. Celtic Symphony

They are getting crazy money for some of their players, IF they can properly scout out the right replacements (staying away from the English market) they could probably build a better side and still come out with a profit.