1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Transition: Deila's Plot, Right-Back Slot and Tony Watt

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Slaw, Jun 19, 2014.

By Slaw on Jun 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM
  1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It has been no secret since his appointment, that Ronny Deila is a huge fan of youth. Throughout his 6 years at Stromsgodset in Norway, he integrated youth into the first team which ultimately led to the former relegation battlers becoming Norwegian Champions. ​

At Celtic, huge funds have been invested in the youth academy and we have yet, as a club, to reap any huge rewards for this. John Kennedy has done an excellent job as youth coach and last year led the youths to their fifth successive league title. However, in recent years, James Forrest is the only player to have emerged from the academy and make any sizeable impact on the Senior side. ​

The general feeling among Celtic fans now, is that next season is going to be a huge opportunity for our youth to prove themselves in the first team. Here’s a look at a few young guns we can expect to be given an opportunity to impress next season: ​

John Herron:
    At 20 years of age, it’s surely now or never for John Herron in terms of his Celtic career. A capable right back, he made his first competitive start in April of this year in that position in a 3-3 draw with Motherwell. Although Herron played well that day, he is more comfortable in an attacking midfield role and will want to be judged on his attacking qualities as a player. Due to Deila’s attacking philosophy, it is likely Herron will be given an opportunity to prove his worth this coming season. ​

[​IMG]
    John Herron on Scotland u21 duty

Liam Henderson:
    Bursting onto the scene at Celtic Park last season, Henderson ran up a healthy string of appearances domestically. Making his competitive debut in a 5-0 victory over Motherwell in December, he earned his first start at Rugby Park in March. His calm and collected performance in this game prompted praise from the then Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, who felt that Henderson was a "Credit to the academy".
    Henderson has previously captained Celtic’s under 17s which may suggest he has also a certain mental toughness about him.​

[​IMG]
    Henderson celebrates his first goal for Celtic

Darnell Fisher:
    Darnell Fisher is 20 years of age and an impressive academy graduate. He had big shoes to fill when asked to play at right back in the absence of Adam Matthews and Mikael Lustig last season and performed impeccably without ever setting the world alight. However, Celtic are particularly strong in his position at this time. With Lustig recently committing his long term future to Celtic and Matthews desperate to steal Lustig’s throne, it is highly unlikely he will make a first team breakthrough at right back. However, Fisher’s pace and crossing abilities could see him utilised in the right side of a midfield 4 or an attacking 3. He is also very competent at left back which may see him challenge Izaguirre next season.
    "He plays on the left a lot for the youths anyway, I'd seen him play 4 times before realising that 'naturally' he is a right back, not a left back."
    -Devlin (TalkCeltic member)

[​IMG]
    Fisher: Possible back-up to Izaguirre

Eoghan O'Connell:
    A cousin of Ireland International Rugby legend Paul O’Connell, Eoghan earned his first u19 international cap last season. The 18 year old was handed his first opportunity at Celtic in March of this year against Ross County. Playing alongside the composed football intellect Virgil van Dijk in the heart of defence, he was at fault for Ross County’s early goal. However, despite this, O’Connell grew into the game and did not let this mistake faze him remotely. Lennon praised the young defender for his impressive debut.
    "I felt that, as the game went on, he got better and better, I'm very pleased with his contribution."
    -Neil Lennon
    A defensively sound centre half, O’Connell has worn the armband in the absence of Marcus Fraser on a few occasions for the u20s. However, with Virgil van Dijk and Efe Ambrose having developed an unflappable partnership at the back last season, and with Marcus Fraser perhaps showing more promise in the youths, it is unlikely he will become a regular first team player quite yet. ​

[​IMG]
    O'Connell impressed on his Celtic debut.

Paul McMullan:
    At 17 years of age, McMullan established himself as a mainstay in the Celtic side in the Uefa Youth League (under 19 version of the Champions League). He also scored a double as Celtic slumped to a 3-2 defeat to Rangers in the Youth Glasgow Cup Final in 2013. A prolific goal scorer at under 17 level, he has, since turning 18, often been utilised in wider positions for the under 20s. He scored the final goal in a 2-0 victory over Dundee United for the u20s, sealing their 5th successive league title. Despite being held in high regard by the youth coaches at Parkhead, he is yet to make his senior debut. McMullan is a young and energetic attacking player. At youth level, he is instrumental in most of Celtic’s lively attacking play. I feel he’ll be one player Deila will fall in love with next season.​

[​IMG]
    Paul McMullan: The missing link in attack?

Marcus Fraser:
    Earning a professional contract at Celtic in 2010 at the ripe age of 15, Fraser made his competitive senior debut in the 2011/12 season at 17 years of age. Replacing the injured Glenn Loovens at half-time in a crucial Europa League group match against talented French outfit Rennes, He made a seamless transition from Scottish Youth to Senior European football. He performed excellently and earned plenty of deserved praise for his efforts. ​

"I would like to see the promising young Marcus Fraser getting a chance in the defence again. Ever since his brilliant performance against Rennes in 2011, we haven't seen a glimpse of him."
    -Doctor Venglos (TalkCeltic member)

Fraser has since been captaining Celtic at u20 level on a regular basis. However, his development has been somewhat stagnated by injury. If he can keep fit, he may well be a readymade replacement for Virgil van Dijk, should the Dutchman decide to leave Celtic Park for pastures new this Summer. ​

[​IMG]
    Lennon congratulates Fraser on his European debut performance.

Callum McGregor:
    Callum McGregor turned 21 last week and, as such, can hardly be regarded as a youth player any longer. He left Celtic on loan last season to play his trade in League 1 under Shaun Derry at Notts. County. He soon established himself as a first team regular for the 'Magpies', scoring the first of 14 goals on his debut. A player who likes to pick the ball up in the centre of the park and develop play into the attacking third, he will certainly be staking a claim to be part of Ronny Deila and newly appointed assistant, John Collins' plans next season. ​

McGregor and fellow Notts County loanee Jack Grealish were the subjects of immense praise from Shaun Derry upon returning to their parent clubs. ​

“If I’m looking at Jack and Callum, what an education for them - what a year they’ve had. It will lead them into a direction where I’m sure they’ll be playing at the top of their level."

[​IMG]
    Callum McGregor: An impressive season in League 1

Tony Watt:
    A 17 year old Watt arrived at Celtic Park for £80,000 in 2011 from lowly Scottish side Airdrie United where, despite his age, he made 19 first team appearances. He thrived in Celtic's u19 team in Uefa's Next Generation European competition (now called Uefa Youth League), performing impressively against Barcelona in particular. ​

One year on, he made his competitive debut for Celtic as a substitute at Fir Park in a game where the Hoops had struggled to close out the game, leading 1-0 in a tight and nervous affair. Within five minutes of coming on, he scored twice to send the Celtic fans into raptures and put the result beyond any doubt. There was a certain air of confidence about Tony on his debut as he displayed the crucial attributes of a top quality striker. He had strength, pace, a huge work rate and the vital eye for goal. You could hardly blame the fans for getting excited about the prospect of Watt leading the line for years to come. However, he didn't feature against Rangers in the final Old Firm game, the week after his Motherwell double salvo. ​

The 2012/13 season has been by far the best of Watt's short career to date. He earned a place in the starting 11 on a few occasions domestically and made plenty of appearances as a substitute throughout the season, not least of which- his famous late (what proved to be a) winner against Barcelona at Celtic Park. However, strangely, Watt drifted out of Lennon's immediate plans after this game, ultimately resulting in his year-long loan stint at Belgian outfit Lierse last season. ​

"It was weird. After the Barcelona match I never really got any more games. Before, I was playing a lot but afterwards I didn’t. I think I had five starts in the next seven or eight months."

Watt became the subject of much criticism from Lierse manager Stanley Menzo, who described him as “lazy and unfit” during his stint in Belgium. As a result, he made only 18 first team appearances throughout the season, scoring 9 times. Watt believes he learned a lot in Belgium however and is now, at 20, determined to prove himself to new Celtic boss Ronny Deila.​

“If I just get myself ready for next season then I’ll be ready wherever the challenge lies. Hopefully it’s at Celtic but if not then I’ll need to wait and see.
    I had to go out and get games and I did that so it has helped me as a player."

Deila, as manager of Stromsgodset in Norway, was fond of playing 4-3-3. I can't help but feel that Tony Watt is the perfect fit for the central role in the attacking 3 if Deila were to bring that same formation to Glasgow. He has the pace, the strength, the finishing ability and is a tireless worker on the pitch for 90+ minutes. Also, despite being criticised for being lazy by the Lierse manager, he is in supreme physical condition, as any professional should be. He has plenty of competition at Celtic however, with Anthony Stokes, Leigh Griffiths, Teemu Pukki, Amido Balde and Bahrudin Atajic all desperate to cement their place in Deila's plans. Watt may well have the edge over his teammates though due to Deila's belief in integrating youth into the first team. No matter who gets the gig on a permanent basis, I hope Watt is given an opportunity to prove himself. ​

[​IMG]
    'unfit and lazy'? Watt shows he's anything but

There are clearly plenty of talented youth players among the ranks at Celtic Park. It is now up to Ronny Deila to do what he does best: develop promising youth players into first team starters, capable of bringing trophies to where they belong.​

"It’s a big change for the club but it’s fresh and something we can look forward to.”
    -John Kennedy

Slaw

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014