1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Question] Xbox or PS4

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Ninefingers, Jun 7, 2014.

Discuss Xbox or PS4 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ninefingers

Right the dreaded question...which one?

Got a week off work and I'm already bored shitless so going to pick one up tomorrow, always been a PS man but a lot of people have been saying Xbox. Really wanting to play a shooter type game again like COD or Battlefield.

So what's your views?

2. Elephant Stone

The PS4 is brilliant, but I've never played the Xbox One so I can't really comment on how it runs - but I can comment on the name, which is ridiculously *.
    "What should we call the third Xbox?"
    "How about Xbox One?"
    "Aye, that sounds about right."
    Whoever came up with that is a right * mug.

3. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

If you're gonna play a lot of COD and download all map packs then get the Xbox because they get dlc a month before the playstation, I think your battlefield experience will be just the same on both.

4. CeltBhoy93

Both have their pro's and cons,PS4 is slightly more powerful but the xb1 has social functions and tv apps etc that the ps4 does not have. Best thing to do is just go with your personal preference as everyone has a slightly biased opinion of their own console if you've always preferred Xbox go with that,if you've always been a PS person then go with the ps4.

5. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I used to have the xbox 360 but got the ps4 since it appealed to me more. It's slightly more powerful than the xbox one and I much prefer the playstation's exclusives over the xbox's. I actually recently bought a ps3 to play some of the exclusives I missed out on because I picked the 360 over the ps3.

6. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Get whatever your mates have at the end of the day they both do the same job

7. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Also Sony has Naughty dog on their side, so there's that. Have they ever made a bad game?

8. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Just remembered something about the ps4, my controller and everyone I know with a ps4's controllers have been a problem, the triggers get stuck with new controllers and you have to clean some powder or just wait until they loosen up to fix it and the rubber on the analogs is the least durable material ever made, as someone who likes to take care of controllers this annoyed me so much, haven't heard any problems with the xbox controller.

9. Ninefingers

Cheers for the replies lads :50:, was wanting to hear what peoples personal experiences with them are as I heard Sony might be in a bit of trouble and games are constantly being put back.

Aye Eddie I really prefer the ps4 controller but heard there was some issues with it.

Does the Xbox have a blu-ray player now? What about the ps4's camera, does it match up with the kinect?

Also is ps4 still free to play online or is it like xbox live now?

10. Raz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    I know a lot of folk (myself included) that's never had this problem, actually first i've heard of it.. touch wood!

11. Tulf

PC. :icon_mrgreen:

12. CeltBhoy93

I agree i use it for ps4 and pc gaming and not had 1 problem with it it's the best pad i have ever used,and the issues with the ds4 joysticks and trigger buttons got fixed almost 6 months ago,it was a problem with cheap Chinese material and they've since fixed it.

13. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

The controller I got with the ps4 had the problems so I went to gamestop and they gave me one that you usually buy separate and the same thing happened, I doubt it's a location thing but everyone I know with the problem is Irish and got PS4's in the same store so there could just be bad batches.

As for psn you now have to pay, think it's 50 euro a year but there are smaller and cheaper packages too.

14. Moustache

I can't comment on the Xbox since I don't own one, but to answer your other questions.

1) You'll need PS Plus if you want to play the majority of games online. If the game itself is free to play, or requires a subscription itself (MMO's) then PS Plus isn't needed. You do get two free games each month on PS4 (only really indie games at the moment), and if you own a PS3 and/or Vita you get another 2 games for them plus the other 2 or 3 yearly games.

2) I cant say I've had any problems with the controller so far, but seemingly quite a few people have. It might be something that's been fixed in more recent batches but I don't really know enough about it.

3) Sony as a whole isn't doing well, but their gaming/PlayStation division is doing good business. I'm not sure where you heard what you did about game delays, but I wouldn't say its anywhere near as bad as seemingly suggested. Driveclub has been the only major delay, and from the previews it sounds like its resulted in a good game. Infamous Second Son got delayed from February to March but that sort of delay isn't too uncommon nowadays.

4) In regards to the camera, I would imagine the Kinect is better but I couldn't say for certain. The PS Eye (or whatever its called now) is only really of useful if you need it for video calls or if you want to play PS Move games. Although you'll need one if you want to use the virtual reality headset when its released.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I'm the same as you mate, it's no myth. I am on my second pad and the left thumbsticks is wearing smooth already (argos replaced the first one). The L1 button has also gotten stuck on the two pads I have had though it's a pretty easy fix. I would choose the ps4 if I could only have one but I will eventually get the xbox one one as well. Too bad you can't use the xbox one pad on ps4, it's a beauty.

16. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Aye the Xbox one has blu ray now

17. entersalmon

I can only commeb and on the Xbox one. Had no issues with it since release. I'd just get whatever one your mates have. Xbox one controller is very good and yes there is a blue ray player. Loads of apps due to be released also.

18. Ninefingers

Thanks again :50: heading in first thing, see what kind of deals/bundles they are offering but probably get the ps4.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not a lot between them to be honest, got a PS4 though.

It comes down to two things really - which one most of your mates have and/or which has the best exclusives. Sony has Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch for a start (Uncharted/Last of Us and Infamous series). Microsoft has series such as Halo and Forza.

I'd say Sony has better exclusives...and is about a £100 cheaper..:50:

20. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

They're the same price now