1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Will Be Our Next Manager?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by FitzyBhoy1992, May 21, 2014.

Discuss Who Will Be Our Next Manager? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wulliebad

CELTIC owner Dermot Desmond is considering offering Davie Moyes the chance to rebuild his battered reputation at Parkhead.

Record Sport has learned the Irish tycoon has pencilled the name of Moyes at the top of his short list of candidates to replace Neil Lennon, who stood down as manager on Thursday.

And Desmond is expected to decide over the weekend whether or not to make a formal move for the man who was axed by Manchester United in April, just ten months after taking over at Old Trafford from Sir Alex Ferguson.

Majority shareholder Desmond is regarded as Celtic’s Godfather but before he makes Moyes an offer he would prefer to be sure that the Bearsden born Scot will not turn it down.

With other big names on the wanted list Celtic are determined to chose carefully and minimise the risk of being turned down.

But sources close to Moyes believe the former Parkhead player would jump at the chance to rebuild his career at a club of such global status, with the chance of an immediate return to the Champions League next season.

Moyes is regarded down south as damaged goods after his disastrous reign at United and knows he is very unlikely to be head hunted by one of the English top flight’s biggest clubs.

And our source said: “It would look better on his CV to go to a Champions League club like Celtic than it would to consign himself to a relegation battle in the PremierLeague.

“Yes, Celtic might not have the standard of player which has been used to working with over the last seven or eight years but it’s a huge club with a massive support and would offer Davie the chance to win trophies and to prove his credentials at Europe’s highest level.

“In many ways Celtic would be the perfect ‘face-saver’ for Davie and his appointment would also be presented as a huge coup for a Scottish club. It was only 12 months ago that this guy was the hottest ticket in British management after all. Celtic could land themselves an excellent manager and one with a point to prove.

“But first Dermot Desmond will have to ask him the question.”

If Moyes is unwilling to restart his career in Glasgow, Celtic have other irons in the fire and Chief Executive Peter Lawwell says the situation won’t be rushed.

Despite the Champions League qualification games getting underway in the middle of July, the Parkhead chief-executive said: “We’re just going to go into a selection process.

“We’ll pull together a list of candidates, discuss it with the board and see if we can find a new manager. We’re very, very early.”

Club legend Henrik Larsson seems to have completely ruled himself out of the running after his club Falkenberg claimed their manager has been the subject of interest.

However, the Scandinavians also insisted that Celtic have made no contact with them and Sporting Director Hakan Nilsson has also stated that the 42-year-old has given the club his word he will be staying put until the end of the season in November.

Nilsson said: “Henrik is the manager of our club. We talk to each other every day. He is a very honest person. He said he has had contact from a club.

“But the only thing I know is Henrik is staying with Falkenberg this season. He said that to me.”

“He told me he has said ‘no’, and I know him as a man of his word,” Nilsson said. “We have no concerns about him leaving.

If Moyes isn’t the final choice, the club will undergo an exhaustive process with the likes of Owen Coyle, Jackie McNamara and Steve Clarke are among potential candidates, as is Roy Keane.

Like Moyes, the Republic of Ireland No.2 is admired by majority shareholder Desmond.

Keane opted to take a humorous approach last night when confronted on the Parkhead issue.

He smiled: “I’m not taking a pay cut for anybody!

“I’ve got a job. I’ve got two jobs. I can’t have another one!

“They are a brilliant club, an absolutely fantastic football club, one of the best in the world. But I have got a job.

”There’s always speculation when you are out of work or whatever. People might see this role as part-time or whatever, but it keeps me busy, I enjoy it.

“I’m happy with what I’m doing and if somebody calls me, I will speak to Martin and the FAI and we will have a look at it.

“But it’s all speculation. As I said, I have got a job, we have got a game at the weekend, a busy old weekend coming up and I am looking forward to that.”

From the record.

2. Xavier Woods

Fav Celtic Player:
    Erik Sviatchenko
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd love Oscar Garcia to get it.

3. Ninefingers

The guys on here shouting for Coyle and like are stuck in the past. Talking about "continuity and winning is all that matters" * off. We need a new direction and a new way of thinking, Europe is leaving UK football so far behind in terms of technical ability, youth and style. It's far more progressive than anything we have here, we should be looking the set-ups of clubs on the continent and implementing similar systems. Starting with a fresh-approach manager.

At the end of the day, attendances are falling, Lennon has done a great job but if he was ever going to leave then now was the perfect time and I'm sure the board realized this too. We have a good squad, time to go for a fresh approach and bring a new way of thinking in.

4. hoopy cross

:31::31::31::31:

5. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I would be surprised if a European coach got the job mostly because they would be looking to spend and we all know that isn't the policy. I fully expect it to be a British/Irish coach who is able to work to get the best out of players that show good potential.

6. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Right ive decided I want Oscar Garcia. Im also happy with Moyes and Mackay and I hate Owen Coyle. Im out until there is something more concrete.

7. Partickbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG/LET THE PEOPLE SING
    Have to say, Garcia sounds like he could be quite an interesting prospect. Not that I know much about him, but after reading some articles on him, he sounds better than some of the other names being banded about by far.

Did I hear someone mention John Barnes?..........come on now!

8. scomur1888

Definately need a fresh new approach to our management team.As much as I rated and liked Lennon its always a good thing for a club to freshening up before it starts to go a little stale.As mentioned above the lack of competition just now resulting in attendances dropping I feel that Celtic need to get this next appointment bang on as I genuinely think this could see more fans coming through the gates.

There was clearly always an element of our support that failed to take to Lenny for whatever reason and I genuinely think it kept a core of the support away from the matches.I really hope with the right appointment it will see a boost in season ticket sales and see Parkhead fill up again,I for one would be buzzing going to the first match with a new manager at the helm,has to be the right appointment though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  9. Chooxen

Oscar Garcia is definitely the sort of way Celtic should be thinking. Did will to take Brighton so far and worked with Barca, ideal candidate.

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Peter Houston at 25/1

11. ThisIsGhod

Garcia for me, definetly would change celtic's tactics and play get him signed up Lawell.

12. lionhead199

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,boruc
    Bring back St Martin

13. Tifosi Celtic

Tony Adams, with Wim Jansen as director of football.

14. ThisIsGhod

15. Tifosi Celtic

Celtic Underground: Bankier claims Moyes is the top target. Coyle as back up.

16. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Johan Mjallby for continuity

Jackie McNamara to tap up the DUTD players

Hard to fathom the interest in David Moyes tbh

17. lethal_kizzle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Theres only been £15,000 bet on it at bet fair. No one knows who it's going to be, everyone with "sources" is talking out their * to be honest.

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    * Moyes. First of all, he is absolutely clueless, and second, the whole world would laugh at us.

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Celtic Underground lololol.

20. Ninefingers

Stop it, your giving me the fear. :38:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.