1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Exactly.The conspiracy theory is a joke.

You got 45% in the referendum and 50% in the GE......which tallies with the continued momentum and the generally accepted swing towards independence.

If the SNP had got 70%, there may be a case....but if anything, the results of this G.E have 'proved' the referendum was not fixed.

2. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    An article in one of the local papers with an interview with Brian Donohoe former MP for Central Ayrshire.

FORMER LABOUR MP Brian Donohoe saw his 23-year career ended by the SNP.

The ex-Central Ayrshire MP fell through Labour's trap door with only one Scottish member now in office.

Speaking after the result was announced in the early hours of Friday, Mr Donohoe told of his regrets. And he revealed the things he is most looking forward to - including ridding himself completely of political correctness.

Mr Donohoe said: "I’m of an age where I can now turn round with the greatest delight and tell people to “f*** off which I haven’t been able to do for a * of a long time in both my trade union life and also in this one where you have to take all sorts coming through the door and be kind, considerate and generous with your time.

"But sometimes you wonder why but at the end of it you’re there and I’ve always made the pledge as an MP that I wasn’t there to represent the people who voted for me, I was there to help.

"That was the slogan, that’s what I believed in for everybody whether they were the top of the tree in industry or at the very bottom."

He continued: "Obviously I’m disappointed and the fact is that having served for 23 years I’m disappointed for the people who have depended on getting a reasonable service but I’ve passed the baton on and it’s for others to then take it up and run with it and make * sure that the constituency is well dealt with as I did for it.

"I had a fantastic team, I’m sorry it’s going to be broken up but the people will have to live with what they’ve done.

"That’s the nature of the beast as far as politics is concerned, it’s a rough game and not many people outside it realise just how rough it is."

It has been a long road for Mr Donohoe, who was voted in at the 1992 General Election.
    At time he has had to put family life on the back burner - something which he vowed to make up for. He added: "Regrets I’ve lost a great deal of time with family, it’s been a great burden not on me but them and I’ve realised that as time has gone on.

"So I’ll be able to spend more time with my grandchildren and wee Jack won’t be able to work out that I don’t have three offices anymore. "I’ll have plenty of time, I’ve got a garden that’s needing dealt with, I’ve got helicopters that need flown and all sorts of other things I can get myself into."

- See more at: http://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/ayr/articles/2015/05/12/531752-donohoes-fourletter-signoff/#.dpuf

3. Markybhoy

Dry yer eyes Donohoe ya Hun *.

4. Vertie Auld

5. Vertie Auld

6. gunt

There is a big debate on when indyref2 should be. General feeling is sort of a Euro-exit, which I dont think is at all likely, that the earliest possible date would be 2020/21 - enough time for a pile of the no voters to be 6 feet under and a lot more young voters coming of age. However That would be at the end of the next Holyrood term. So there might be an arguement for leaving it off and sticking it on the manifesto in 2021. The main danger is loss of momentum and even the slightly less likely loss of a pro-indy majority in Holyrood if its punted 6 or 7 years down the line. It really very tricky and we cannot risk losing again. I think 5 or 6 years is the minimum time in which I think YES could grow to a safe 55pc or similar.The other possibility is really radical devolution could be given in the meanwhile- something that the unionists are simply daft not giving if they want to hinder indy.

7. wulliebad

London will decide when the next indy ref will be,not because they will say right you can have one this year or that,but because they will do something so * out of order scotland will decide its time to get out.

8. wulliebad

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/londoners-diary-chips-are-down-as-mhairi-heads-for-the-canteen-10258490.html

There’s trouble brewing in the canteens of Westminster already, after the arrival of 20-year-old Mhairi Black, the new SNP MP who unseated Douglas Alexander. The Scottish Herald published her diary this weekend, in which Black begins by unpicking one of the establishment traditions of dining in the Palace of Westminster.

“Lunchtime was quite insightful into the attitudes of some of the existing MPs,” she writes. After ordering a plate of chips with a slice of bread — which checkout lady Rita objected to as it isn’t “nutritious enough” — Black went to sit down next to “a table of kitchen staff who were sitting on a break”. One of them told her to go to the other end of the room instead.

Black duly picked up her tray and started walking until she arrived “at a false partition with a sign saying ‘MPs only beyond this point’”. She wrote that she turned around and went back to her original spot. “If they want us to be snobby you’d think they would go all out snobby and get a different room instead of a half-effort partition,” she told the kitchen staff, which was met with “rapturous laughter”.

They told her that “many MPs take their position so seriously that they refuse to sit anywhere unless it is exclusively for MPs or Lords”, which she calls “ridiculous”, adding: “it actually reminded me of an episode of Friends where Joey can’t sit with Ross when he begins working as a tour guide in the museum because, ‘blue coats don’t sit with white coats’.”

An analogy that may be lost on some of those sitting on the other side of the partition?

9. James CFC

'Gercelt' voted Labour.

Wonderful name.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not her biggest fan and sceptical of her ability to be an effective MP in all honesty buy fair play to her, something like that would really * me off.

11. wulliebad

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/1321350-alistair-carmichael-admits-leak-of-controversial-sturgeon-memo/

Alistair Carmichael had backed the leaking of the report, which claimed that the First Minister had said she wanted David Cameron to remain as Prime Minister.

The memo reported the comment had been made in conversation between Ms Sturgeon and the French Ambassador.

Ms Sturgeon said called for the Liberal Democrat to consider if he should remain as an MP, saying he had "contested the election on false pretences."

A Cabinet Office inquiry found that he had been consulted on the move by special advisor Euan Roddin, and had agreed the document should be released to the media.

The report stated that Mr Roddin had provided a copy of the memo to a Daily Telegraph journalist on April 1, 2015, and "discussed the memo with the journalist on a number of occasions".

Mr Carmichael accepted "he could and should have stopped the sharing of the memo and accordingly accepts responsibility for what occurred", according to the cabinet office findings.

In a letter to Ms Sturgeon, the Liberal Democrat MP said he took "full responsibility for the publication of the document".

"I accept that its publication was a serious breach of protocol and that the details of that account are not correct. I am clear that this was an error of judgement on my part and wish to offer you my sincerest apologies for the embarrassment caused to you and the French ambassador."

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Gets to tarnish the snp during the campaign, and then look like a good guy for apologising now.
    Get yourself to * carmichael

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Stuck this here, although perhaps a new Individual thread for SNP in WM would be a good idea (?) or maybe not hearing some of what's happening already.

Those who are members and have attended Branch meetings will have heard a few different stories already I assume as well. While this article is from the mail its not all pish and our MP's want to act their * age and remember what they are supposed to be doing. Thankfully the whips seem to have quietened them down some. -

Invasion of the McManiacs: Boorish, boozy, picking fights... Even Nicola Sturgeon's alarmed by the Commons antics of the SNP's yob MPs

• Two weeks on from the election, the new SNP members blasted as 'goons'
    • They've broken Parliamentary rules and started petty fights with rivals
    • Behaviour comes in spite of Sturgeon's promise of 'grown up politics'
    By Guy Adams for the Daily Mail
    Published: 23:41, 22 May 2015 | Updated: 08:15, 23 May 2015

The reception is hardly one Nicola Sturgeon can have been hoping her tartan army would receive on their arrival at Westminster.
    Two weeks on from the Election, the longest-serving member of the House of Commons, Gerald Kaufman, issued a withering assessment of the behaviour of the unprecedented intake of 56 Scottish Nationalist MPs (up from just six in 2010).
    ‘I think that their conduct is infantile,’ said Mr Kaufman yesterday. ‘They’re goons, and if they go on like this, instead of using their undoubted mandate from the Scottish people to be serious about issues on behalf of Scotland, they will devalue themselves.’

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490