1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time for Lennon to go?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Ciaran_67, Feb 8, 2014.

Discuss Is it time for Lennon to go? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SpellCheck92

What a post. Thank * some people are still sane on this place.

2. Jinky.

:62::hi5::notworthy

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    How did he miss a sitter today or was it him who set the team up like that ?

Feel free to start another "sack the board" thread with another poll, the result will be the same as the last one :icon_mrgreen:

4. pod

Total and utter pish from start to finish. In his 4 years in charge he has won the league 3 times (including this season) and thrown in a couple of cups. Also got us to the last 16 and group stages of Europe's top competition.

His first season he had to start with a blank sheet of paper. Every one of our better players were sold (or one long term injured) or released or their loan ended. He took an established team with arguably their best ever manager to the final day and we "lost" the league by a single point having returned a very good points total. That is with a team that started from scratch.

He then turned round a huge deficit to win the league comfortably in his next season and helped us, after a poor qualifier, to a decent showing in Europe in a very tough group.

His third season was a huge success in Europe against one of the best teams of all time, the EL finalists and a good Russian side. Winning another league title to boot.

Now this season, after having the spine of his side ripped out, we are unbeaten in the league and got the the group stages of the CL again.

All the while doing this whilst making a very hefty profit in the transfer market.

5. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Would you be happier if they were still Celtic players
    or weren't they good enough at the time?

6. McCulloch1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony & Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If this poll was "Has this season been a success?". It would be an overwhelming NO for most people. Although it's tough watching such lackluster tactics and style of football, squad selections. It would be hard to justify his sacking, i like Lennon as a leader that's about it.

Fickle fans is a fair assessment however, i mean no one dared to say anything and were happy to coast along on cloud 9 until this loss. Blowing our own trumpet, lauding the players when things are going well. Ambrose again today showed how poor he can be, he was not alone. However when he was linked with Fulham people on here, were acting hysterical against any team with a good striker he's a bomb scare. Short term memories and rose tinted glasses.

Also it's been almost laughable witnessing how poor the level of opposition actually is, i don't mean to be disrespectful but its expected with such a disparity in resources. A lot of our goals are from really poor defending/keeping it takes the shine off of this clean sheet record personally, it's obviously still a great achievement in it's own right but i can help but think it's a combination of how the level around us has dropped significantly. Also hate to say but Rangers not being in SPFL usually would have threw up a goal conceded or at least stopped the other teams from having to step up their game once every 11 games instead of 5-6.

7. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    We had a terrible day, granted. But this calling for Lennon's head is not the answer. I don't want him to go, firstly, because yes, he is one of us. With the amount of * he's had to put up with whilst managing Celtic it's incredible people want him replaced so easily after this. The man deserves the chance to put this right.

Secondly, no one will have to tell Lennon what today means. It has basically summed the season up as a failure, and he just as much as us wants that sorting out. If he chooses to continue and try to put that right, which I firmly believe he will, then we should get behind him and the team for next season and show our support. Rather than call for his sacking/resignation, cos really, what will that solve? We'll have a new manager, new ideas, total overhaul on the squad and therefore, avoidable and unwelcome disruption before embarking on another Champions Legaue campaign. I doubt we will manage to get anyone on board who has managed at that level before. For * sake, Owen Coyle and Jackie McNamara's names are being banded around. Neil has the necessary experience and we should stick by him and allow him to correct what has been a thoroughly disappointing season.

If he doesn't fancy it, then so be it.

8. Sween

I dont think it would matter if Mowbray was Celtic boss - we would still win the league. For celtic not to win the league when they could effectively afford to buy the entire first 11 of the likely nearest teams, would need an almost unheard of collapse. Even in 2010 under Mowbray we finished 18 points ahead of 3rd and now we are in a far more financially dominant position.

I picked Karagandy as I was discussing performance this year. Last year was of course fantastic, and I also think that run to the last 16 has bought Lennon a lot of time and patience that he otherwise wouldnt have got. As I say, I am kind of neutral on Lennon and the biggest "pro" reason for him is that last 16 run. But this reason we are a worse team than last, and next season I believe we will be a worse team than this year. We are a team in decline, but we play in such a poor league it goes unnoticed.

Thing is, I cant really blame Lennon for this because a manager can only be expected to find talent on the cheap so often. And when a manager has to sell off his best players each year and replace them for a fraction of what he sells them for, we have to expect an almost inevitable decline.

That is really why I am pretty neutral on Lennon. Because he has no real benchmark, it is hard to judge him, but I think we have outperformed in Europe last season, and we have underperformed domestically this season. I dont want him out, but at the same time I dont think we would be worse off if he did decide to leave at the end of the season.

9. Dubliner1

We need to understand winning the SPL is the least that is expected in the current situation in Scotland for us. The major bookmakers had us priced at 1/100 to win the League at the start of the season. That shows the advantage we look to have from the outset without the Sevconians. Our CL qualifying route is also very easy. We no longer play teams from England, Spain, etc. Getting beat at home in 2 domestic cups is very poor. Our performance at home to AC Milan who were sitting 12th in Serie A was one of the worse in recent times. Look at the big picture.

10. pod

The big picture is that our club decide they are going to sell our best players. Do you really think that Lenny wants that? Of course he doesn't. So, maybe you should be looking at the bigger picture. Even if we replace them with others it takes time to gel etc. That is not Lenny's fault.

11. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Don't want him to leave but if you told me he was going to id rather he did it sooner than leaving it until round the CL qualifiers and causing so much unrest then.

12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

What is this big picture?

People tell me to do it because it shows Lenny is right

& other people tell me to do it because Lenny is wrong

Are there 2 pictures or is his job a balancing act between the 2?

13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Well said mate..

This has been an utter shambles of a season!!!!!!! Knocked out of two cups at home and we scored 3 goals in the Champions League and some of his signings are complete * not to mention having no plan B because he doesnt give any of the squad a chance...

Taken us as far as he can IMO.. Doesnt help when the board flog his best players but still should be winning everything in Scotland and least competing for 3rd in group stages....

As I said an utter failure of season and the book stops with him... Anyone else he'd be hounded out...

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    If anyone comes back with but we are unbeaten in the league *, thats what it is, *... it's the same as the filth in Division 2, we should be unbeaten with our resources..

15. Dubliner1

nev - The Big picture I'm referring to is that the current manager is not doing as well as I would like. We maybe selling our better players every season but surely we should have enough fire power to at least win one of the domestic cups. I'm not referring to Europe too much as I don't expect to do much more than qualify to the Group stages.

16. Woody

What the * is wrong with this place? One minute we're all moaning about jumping down to the EPL due to lack of competition and then when a team gives us a run for our money we automatically resort to the sack the boss mentality?

17. Woody

:smiley-laughing002: fs

You saying being unbeaten in the league isn't something to be proud of?

18. Shane1888

I believe Lennon can take us further.

Several players simply underperformed today. A mixture of taking the lead early on, mixed in with the way that we have been beating Scottish teams this season obviously led to complacency and Aberdeen, to their credit, capitalized on that. I don't think that is Lennon's fault.

19. Sween

To be fair, I think the reason people are so upset at our inability to win a cup this year comes from the fact that there is no competition. Losing to Aberdeen at home and Morton (rock bottom of the championship) doesnt suggest competition. It suggests we are either playing bad or are not very good.

(not that I want to sack the boss)

I dont think it is a big deal to be fair. It seems to be one of those things created to generate some reason to be excited in an otherwise utterly unexciting end of season.

20. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Bit more like it bhoys, & in consecutive posts.:50: