1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The unwinnable war on drugs.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by angusceltic67, Feb 5, 2014.

Discuss The unwinnable war on drugs. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. smithy18

Kind of but cannabis makes the brain produce a chemical that stops you getting that high for any length of time http://www.hightimes.com/read/gemma-moss-was-marijuana-cause-death

2. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    If that were to happen Cannabis still wouldn't be the cause of death.

You look at these articles trying to hint that Cannabis is the primary reason of the death, you look more into it and find as Smithy mentioned, a cocktail of Anti-Depressants (which is obviously what's killed her) along with the Cannabis were found in her system, yet the Cannabis use is the main headline to suggest something which is almost scientifically impossible. According to the ld50, You'd have to smoke around 30,000 strong joints in one session to overdose from Cannabis use. It's not plausible.

3. smithy18

To be honest even that information seems outdated about the 30000 joint thing just look at some of these famous people who say there smoking a pound a week and also look at the article I posted above it mentions a new study which has found that THC produces a chemical that stops your high becoming to intense

4. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Just read the article there, good unbiased read. :50:

'The report finds that for a person to sustain a fatal marijuana overdose, they would have to consume over 1,000 times the effective dose. To put that into perspective, an individual would only need to drink 10 times more than the effective amount of alcohol to kill them.' Pretty good comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  5. mickey95

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    :smiley-laughing002::50:

7. Markybhoy

Sounds to me like you're kidding yourself on.

8. Crispy Bacon

Fav Celtic Player:
    at present-Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

:56:

9. Crispy Bacon

Fav Celtic Player:
    at present-Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Every addict whether they say it or not wants to 'come off' it. They should be fully supported and not cast aside.

I can't think of one illegal drug that makes you act like this. You're either a trouble maker or not.

Even when typing that you knew it was a fleeting statement.

As it stands not a lot really, but this is where organisations like The Calton can help them make a difference and put back into society what they've taken out.

Ask any addict if they want to get better and i'm 100% sure everytime it will be a yes.

There human beings, just like you, your family, me, my family etc etc.....
    There should be no compromise when it comes to rehabillitation.

:rolleyes:

That's pretty evident.

Of course they can. It's a well known fact before Heroin was criminalised it was prescribed for medicinal purposes such as the common cold amongst others. These weren't junkie types you've been talking about but professional people with careers and futures.

This comes across as a very naive and stereotypical viewpoint.

:smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002:

Daibhi. I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack or whatever. It's not. There's an overwhelming majority with the same opinion who like to have a zero tolerance approach, but we've tried that. It's time for something new.

As far as i'm concerned the biggest area that has to be targeted is Education. Theres kids trying to sell drugs in primary schools these days, so i think if we can get them properly clued up from early primary school the better.

Secondly, Legalise, Decriminalise and make safer is paramount. Cut out the dealers at all levels, whilst bringing down the crime rate.

And thirdly support. The money they make from taxing the product can go towards a full rehabillitation programme where they are fully re-integrated to society and a normal way of living.

10. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I know how that comes across :smiley-laughing002: didn't explain myself very well. What I meant was if I decided to go without it, old habits die hard. I'd probably be a bit pissy for a week or so but it's not like I'd be rolling around crying on the bathroom floor begging for my next fix. I enjoy smoking it but if I was told by a Doctor tomorrow that it was imperative I stopped due to an adverse affect it was having on my health then I'd stop right there and then, be in a * of a mood for a week/10 days and then probably get on with my life in peace. As it is I've never been told anything of the sort, and see no problem with continuing.
    To be honest I've worked with asbestos and other very harmful materials through work which will have taken a good few years off my life as it is, so cannabis/weed is hardly my biggest threat :56:

I'd more than likely continue to smoke tobacco though, which is very addictive and I wish I'd never started. Weaning myself off of that would be a totally different animal. I'd be a right * if I did, and I mean a right * :smiley-laughing002:

11. Dáibhí

With the stance I take on drugs I fully expect to hear the "I hope this doesn't come across as..." sentence at least once a week! :icon_mrgreen:

I'm a person who only takes pharmaceutical drugs as a real last resort. I rarely take even a paracetamol tablet.

I don't drink either.

With all that said, I honestly believe that the Government has no interest in seeing drugs distributed in a safe manner. A population that is drunk, doped out of its nut or * up suits the agenda of those who wish to make decisions and enforce laws with the minimum of fuss in my opinion.