1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The unwinnable war on drugs.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by angusceltic67, Feb 5, 2014.

Discuss The unwinnable war on drugs. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. angusceltic67

I would have to agree with you on this point, but thats for another thread.

I was thinking along the lines of helping addicts off drugs, maybe with a view to many of these addicts after some clean time, helping to run these clinics...counceling etc

2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    that's another thing about drugs though. Majority of the time it's the purity (or impurity) that kill them.

3. smithy18

Nothing but by doing this you cut crime rates and provide not just the addict a safe environment but also provide the general public a safer environment. Also if softer drugs like weed were legalised and taxed you could use that money to subsidies this. Its a better option than addicts getting high on the streets or around there children and possibly endangering them or others it would also save the tax payer a * load instead of throwing methadone down them and getting them hooked to two highly addictive substances surely you can see an upside or would you rather a addict went out and robbed your house to get his/her fix. Judging by the sounds of your post you clearly don't have much sympathy for these people but remember there human just like you or me who has made some bad choices it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to the best possible help and right now our countries stance on drugs does nothing but make the problem worse

4. angusceltic67

I read somewhere that people are even injecting brick dust into their arms, thinking its heroin.

5. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    they mix it up with brick dust and any old * to make bags bigger. It's the way its done. Just like weed plants are dusted with fibre glass, coke is cut with benzene (a carcinogenic numbing agent), and pills with ketamine/triptamines.
    It's the way drugs work.

But give someone some good old MDMA (not that harmful) and weed (not that harmful) then all is good. Different story with coke and heroin though. Far more addictive.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Current society isnt a real thing though, its a fantasy world thats been created to run things the way they are.

People are forced into society and used like slaves because theres no other way to live. If you dont want to "contribute to society" there is nothing else. You cant leave Scotland and go to Croatia without a passport and to get a passport you need money - even if you build a bike and a canoe and travelled from glasgow to dover got in your boat and went over to france chances are youd be caught and jailed. You cant just walk into a field and build yourself a house, you need to buy land(off who, how can * own land when it to begin with it was just there), pay architects to design one "safely" and then apply to the council to see if they'll let you build it, to do all that you need money.

Its mad that people on a planet that nobody has a clue about why they are there or nothing, can't go where they want or build a house if they wanted because other people no different to them decided they own everything and they've made up rules that people need to agree to.

7. Vertie Auld

That's very true. Even more harmful substances like cocaine would be safer with regulation.

8. Dáibhí

I already said I'd be more than happy to see the very best of help offered to those who want it, and to those who wish to turn their lives around.

I don't agree with the idea of facilitating drug use simply because it keeps junkies off the streets and out of our way, and because it's cheaper than prison.

In the long run such an approach does nothing to solve the problem.

Where my viewpoint will differ from most of the people on this forum is that I don't have any sympathy for those who wish to spend their lives simply getting high. If we all took that approach then * all would get done.

Those types can remain in their * bedsit and inject away until they hit a bad batch and die for all I care.

9. pod

I'm calling pish on that one I'm afraid.

10. angusceltic67

I would put most drugs in the same catagory as alcohol and so should be regulated with strict laws, designated areas, 18+, etc

Heroin and the likes clinics.

11. Dáibhí

Sounds like the ramblings of a stoner. You high or something? :icon_mrgreen:

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    it can be true. But, this is mainly due to underlying mental health problems which become amplified and surface after far too much consumption.

13. pod

Yep. The reason I am highly dubious about his statement is cos he said it was "solely" down to weed.

14. smithy18

You do realise heroin can be used to help an addicts treatment especially those who have tried other programmes and failed there has been similar studies to this one in the UK done in america which supported this there are also countries in the EU who offer heroin on prescription to addicts who are on programmes to get clean.

15. Dáibhí

Okay, people who enjoy a drink at the weekend can live a regular, productive life, can't they? They work during the week, pay their fair share of taxes, own a car & house and so on.

Can heroin addicts do the same? Can you go out in the evening, inject heroin and then show up for work the next day or at the start of the week clear-headed and able to function properly?

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    :50:

Clear pish too, saying cannabis can cause mental illness is like saying Coca Cola can cause your eyes to change colour or eating chocolate can cause hair loss. There is nothing to suggest it.

17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aah. Misread it mate. :50:

18. smithy18

One name springs to mind kieth Richards that * been chasing the dragon for decades and has a better life than most normal people

19. Dáibhí

As I said, anything that involves getting off drugs I fully support. I wouldn't be supportive of people just using these places as drop-in centres where they can get high whenever they want.

They either use the facilities to get clean, or they * off.

He doesn't live a regular life though, does he? If he wasn't a musician he'd be another waste of space, wouldn't he?

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Im actually not, sometimes I am on here though. I only smoke a couple of times a week, not everyday. So kinda the rambling of a stoner lol