1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadline Day Disapointment (again)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickmcl1888, Aug 31, 2013.

Discuss Deadline Day Disapointment (again) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Higgie

Didn't expect anything else to happen after the signing of Pukki was confirmed so can't say I'm disappointed really. Hope the new signings settle in well.

2. NyköpingCelt

How isn't Pukki a replacement for Hooper?

Watch him prove you all wrong.

3. scomur1888

Can't say I'm happy that we didnt bring in a quality defender.

We are up against Barca,AC and Ajax ffs,bit of a joke as we've had plenty time to scout many players available on our wage/price structure.

Not impressed.

4. Dirk_Diggler

we dont play for ties, ie draws if thats what you mean infact your whole post sounds crazy, have you been drinking????

5. archy1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Maybe he was the only one available who could genuinely take Izzy's place? Maybe he wasn't, the fact is we don't know. Even if we did have a second choice, it would still be true that we'd lost out on our number 1 target because of the timing of the window closing.

6. .L.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Griffiths
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That's what annoys me the most.

Now is the time to take that next step up with all our money, by signing two or three excellent players.

Surprise, surprise though. Celtic being tightfisted makes no change.

8. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Completely agree think he'll be a great signing as well a biton, actually dont think we made a bad signing!

9. ariba1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm over the moon to be honest with Pukki and Biton joining us not too worried about no one else joining us tonight, there is always January that we can get more signings...Hail Hail :shamrock:

10. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing

They are more projects than replacements who is to say biton is even ready to walk into our team wanyama was a key player van dijk is 21 years old if i am correct very prone to making stupid mistakes we lost rogne and wilson and let fisher go were severly lacking options you cant say these players are replacements for the guys we lost because what we lost was proven key players to our team in each area of the field and once again the board has opted for a cheap project rather than giving the fans what they deserve and that is money spent on genioune quality

11. Rosleabhoy

If fans think this is a am disappointing time for Celtic I wonder how long they have supported the club. Try enduring the 80s and 90s.

We got to last 16 of CL last season, win title, qualified for CL again and have fantastic ties to look forward to.

If you can't be a commited fan of the club and turn out during this time I fear for the club when we face tougher times.
    Chin up and support the team.

12. Roskopicachu

I think there are still some free agents around that would be ok deals. As long as Watt gets his * back here it's fine. We got some good players in, not quite everything we would have hoped for, but i guess the hope is we can at least get a contract for Ledley, Sammy and Stokes sorted out.

13. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Love how you can judge we haven't made an excellent signing yet! Hate this when players aren't even given a chance thankfully people like you are not the manager!

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye but by that time we're almost certain to be out of Europe.

15. Rosleabhoy

No excellent players are coming to the spl.

How can you say the club are tightfisted. Show us the accounts rather than what you think they will read. The club are competing well

16. slowburner

Jesus by the way some people are talking about Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper it's like the holy trinity, the team of last season never even managed to beat Tony Mowbray's teams points total in the league. Yes, we did excellently in the CL but even if we had those players this season I would still say 3rd place would be a tremendous achievement given our group.

Wilson was a good defender, our best last season, is he of such a high standard that Van Dijk can only aspire to, no! He was a good defender no more no less.

Wanyama is a real miss, he is destined for the top and we couldn't hold onto him I doubt anyone could replace him within our price range, CM is one area we are certainly weaker, I hope Biton is good but just looking at him he ain't no Wanyama.

Hooper, his goals record was excellent and he improved year on year, a trendous finisher but already we have qualified for the CL without him, we will win the league without him, CL wise we scored 9 goals in the group stages last season, Hooper scored 2, granted he never played all of them but it's enough to show you that he was not the be all and end all of our CL squad last season. Pukki, has Bundesliga experience and has played for a top team, not had much of a chance but in terms of CL, 2 goals is not an in achievable target.

Don't get me wrong these three players were our best three last season but I feel Wilson and Hooper especially have turned into world beaters the longer we have signed no-one, Wilson is not miles better than Van Dijk that is already apparent just need to hope Van Dijk plays like he did today consistently and Hooper went missing for many games last season, looking dis-interested and his 2 goals in the CL group stages is not an insurmountable target for Pukki.

Time will tell and I would have liked a few more signings to further strengthen but are we far weaker than last season, no. I think we will beat last seasons points total and as for the CL, it's a tough group but with last seasons team I still wouldn't be confident, so it would be unfair to expect the last 16 again but we should see by the end of it if we are better or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  17. SpellCheck92

How do you know these players aren't genuine quality. Don't judge players on their age or price tag.

18. Bangarangura

marica is cming

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well, when I say excellent signing I was meaning £4/5 million pound players i.e. Finnbogason, Arnautovic etc.

I think Virgil, Pukki and Derk will be great signings.

20. DannybhoyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Roberts, Dembele, Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe Mcdonnell, Grace
    But when we signed the likes of Wanyama and Hooper they were just 'projects' who have since developed into key players, we didn't buy them at that level. We were never going to splash on established player, that will never happen.