1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Help] Yellow light on Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by BrianQuinn, Oct 17, 2012.

Discuss Yellow light on Playstation 3 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Just went to play my Playstation for the first time in a good while and i go to turn the power on and at first the green light comes on, but then it changes to a yellow light and then the power switches off to the red light.

I've heard that this means my PS3 is gubbed but just wondering if anyones had this problem before and have they managed to fix it at all? Is it worth phoning up Sony or getting it sent away or is there nothing I can do?

2. Bunk Moreland

The yellow light means that it's a "general hardware failure" which means it could be almost anything. On the old "fat" PS3's the most common reason was a cold solder on the motherboard which you could DIY fix with a soldering iron (there's tutorials on youtube), for the newer "slim" PS3's that problem was sorted by Sony so it won't be that.

3. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Yeah i got the PS3 not long after it was released so it will be the older one i have. I'll have a look at tutorial videos. I actually work with soldering irons in work so hopefully i can get something sorted, cheers!

4. mls1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura and Moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What worked for me temporarily for me was fastly repeatedly tapping the reset button even if it goes back to red, keep doing it for like 20 odd seconds.

5. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    I tried to do the video but couldnt be arsed in the end. Just bought a new one. New PS3 model is out for christmas.

6. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    How much are you talking for a brand new PS3 and just a normal PS3? If worst comes to worst im probably just going to buy a brand new one!

7. Bunk Moreland

You'll get a brand new "super slim" 12gb PS3 for under £200, obviously 12gb is nothing so just put the hard drive you have in your old PS3 into the new one.

8. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    Sainsburys had the 2nd model for sale for £140 a few weeks ago.

9. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I had this with my sons and it was an over heating problem.

I had to clean the fan and the air vents but there was also something inside that i had to twist with a screwdriver(will see if i can find the video) as it fixed his

10. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This what i used and it fixed the same problem for me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENdoxIVshM"]Tutorial - How to fix your PS3 Slim shutting down automatically after few minutes of use. - YouTube[/ame]

Hope it helps

11. BrianQuinn

Fav Celtic Player:
    None
    Thanks a lot mate cheers

12. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    If you can manage to get your files back just buy a new PS3, don't get a refurb because it could break again in a few months. The Slims are no too dear nowadays as others have stated.

Had the Yellow light off death on my old PS3 and couldn't recover anything so had to use a really old backup of my system.