1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Crossed one 20 feet over the bar second half, summed up ..his and our day

2. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I agree to a certain extent. I have always said i would replace him with a left sided Lustig if we could find one. However we have had some stinking left backs over the years. I do think that he is over rated by a lot of our support though.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's the best we've had in a while but that's because he isn't up against much.

As you say, a left side Lustig (minus the injuries) would be perfect.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I've always wondered how good he'd be if he had a Larsson, Sutton or Hartson attacking his crosses.

He puts in some belters, puts in some shiters but he's our inly player who consistently beats his man and gets the ball in to be fair.

5. C2911

His crosses are totally aimless. Just hit and hope someone gets on the end of them (or that it doesn't go flying out of play).

He's essentially living off of the reputation he built up in his debut season. He's a shadow of the player he was then.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I really don't think that's the case, he always tries to aim it towards people or a dangerous area. He overhits some but he does put in some absolute crackers as well.

Last bit I entirely disagree with.

7. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I'd say most defenders find it easy to defend his crosses considering they normally go straight to the defenders foot.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Although I think that his crossing in general is pretty mince, it's funny you should mention this as Tom Boyd said the exact same thing during the game.

Something like.. "Big John and Chris would have a field day in there"

9. Green Socks

People who think his crossing is *... compared to who? Leighton Bains, Gareth Bale? Aye his crossing is probably mince compared to them.

Lets compare him to people in the league he plays in or even other players in the team...

Matthews - Can't even beat the first man with a cross.. he can't beat a man full stop.
    Lustig - Although I'd say Lustig is the better all round palyer, he doesn't cross the ball well.
    Stokes/Commons - our inability to score from the corners these guys take is tesiment to how * their crossing is.
    Johansen - Sometimes good, sometimes *... a bit like izzy actaully...

As for others in the SPFL, Maybe Hayes from Aberdeen or Higganbotham and Mackay-Steven, sometimes they put in a good cross but I know who Id rather have in my team between any of them and izzy! The only player I think that was a great crosser in the SPFL over the past few years was Robertson who's now at Hull.

EDIT: Changed Gareth Balde to Gareth Bale

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He's set up the most goals of any left back we've had since at least the year 2000, not counting Alan Thompson because he wasn't really a left back.

You don't do that if your crossing is as bad as being made out on here. That's impressive considering he doesn't have people like that to aim for, while the likes of Jackie and Agathe had players like Sutton and Hartson to aim at, never mind Henrik Larsson who had a sixth sense at getting on the end of crosses whether they were * or not.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

He's done that mostly because he flings so much in per game, doesn't mean his crossing is good. 1 or 2 are bound to end up connecting with something.

Folk can't really use the argument of 'he's the best we've had in years' or as you say he's set up the most of any left back. Look at our left backs since 2000..you've also missed out Alan Thompson in that who despite not being an out and out left back as you say, spent alot of time at LWB.

He's a good player, but just like you say he isn't as bad as people make out on here, I also think he is seriously overrated by many on here.

12. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People taking for granted how hard it is to find a decent left back. Missed the boat with Andy Robertson(?) but apart from him how many quality left backs can you name ?

Could be Shinnie there next season according to the rags...

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not many off the top of my head but I am positive there are ones out there like Izzy. We knew * all about him before he signed playing in the backwater league of Honduras. There are very few quality ones anywhere, been like that for a while in football.

I'm also not calling for him to be punted, I've said numerous times I would just like a younger challenger to come in as I don't think he is as good as he once was. Simple.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I left out Thommo because he played a different position than Izzy really. I don't think the positions are comparable, Thommo didn't need to worry about defending.

More than 1 or 2, he's one of our most dangerous players going forward for a reason and his balls into the box are far cleverer than he gets praise for, take his chest down for Scepovic's offside goal against United, any other player in our squad does something like that we'd be gushing.

We're used to Izzy's class now, so he gets criticism and when he does well that's just Izzy being Izzy.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Half the time Izzy doesn't worry about defending either:smiley-laughing002: Nah but seriously I only thought he should be thrown in as essentially Izzaguirre plays as a LWB too IMO.

Fair enough we won't agree on this, but, I think he is overrated. That's pretty much it.

I think if Scepovic AND Guidetti were both to be in the box we might start converting more from crosses in general, not just his.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Always find it amusing the criticism he gets from it. Can't remember the last time we set up a goal from the right hand side, Matthews assist for Guidetti against Dundee?

We definitely need more men into the box, Izzy missed Ledley in that case, the amount of times he would find him in there was unreal.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

We just lack so many things right now.

Desperately need 2 new wingers, one Mcgeady type who can dance by a player and another one in similar fashion. Forrest is the only decent one on form and he can't take a * without pulling something.

Being linked with Ciftci, is interesting as well. He's a decent player, the comparison with Diego Costa by Mick I think, was spot on. Must be a * to defend against. However he wouldn't be my priority the now with us only playing one up top, I think he'd do well for us.

18. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    He's been our most consistent source of attack in particular the last 2 games. Always looking to deliver and more often than not only player getting to the by-line. Indeed, We're becoming over reliant on him providing the width going forward.

People highlight his inaccuracy at times with crosses. It reminds a bit of Agathe from years back, belting down the line at 20mph and trying to cross in the same movement. His inaccuracy in delivering with every cross is met with the strikers inability to finish every chance,midfielders not completing every pass and defenders not making every challenge.

19. freitassen

We need at very least a good winger at the left. Stokes is really trying his best but he is simply not a winger and Izaguirre simply can't cross. A proper winger would take this responsability out of him and he could be left with a supporting/overlapping role. We could as well have a young LB more like a defensive wing back to provide him competition and offer tactical variation when needed. The perfect winger for us is Emil Forsberg from Malmö, 23 years old, good at crossing and passing but also a goal threat, should cost about 4 to 5 million at most. Is already on radar of the Red Bulls aparently. About the left back if the kind from Inverness suits what I said bring it on. But probably we are going to settle with Tonev.

Izaguirre is yet another weaklink, together with the lack of goalscoring threat, the aimless passing and the naive defensive line, exposed by this 4-2-3-1 that doesnt suit us. He has being much worse this year, possibly our worst player, even more than Ambrose, but I would say that it's only 70% his fault and the rest are the tactics.

20. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    I'm not laying this totally at Izzy's feet whatsoever, but when did we last score a header off a cross from open play? It used to be a regular feature, much less so now.