1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Fantastic fight, absolute class, definitely up there as one of the greats, imo. Probably a fair result tbf.
    McGregor looked different class in the first. Was leathering him, with ease. Then he got gassed, badly. Felt for sure he was out, he's just too small a man. No matter how good conditioned he is, I don't think he can last at that weight. Was visibly shaken a few times, and legged it from Diaz.

Be great to see them at 155. McGregor comfortably for me.

2. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What a fight that was. I don't watch much UFC but I recorded this to see what the fuss was about, two tough, tough *.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good fight, most exciting MMA fight I've seen.

Thought Diaz edged it personally, especially with the take down at the end, but was never confident about him getting the decision. Conor had a perfect game plan and executed it well, despite a few dodgy moment around the middle if the fight. Finished strongly too considering he was on his bike for some of round 3 I think.

4. Darnok

I thought Conor clearly won rounds 1, 2 and 4. Ironically though, if the rounds were a bit longer or there were six of them, I think Nate would have stopped him. Same goes if we were to take the fight as a whole. I am interested to see the level of Conor's cardio at 155, and also who, if anyone, can takes his shots at that weight.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2016
  5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I gave Diaz 2, 4 and 5 ( I think that was it anyway). I don't think there can be any complaints though about people scoring it one round either way though, or even a draw.

Conor did well to finish strongly though - even though imo Diaz edged the last round - i thought the judges might have been swayed by Diaz's bravado and Conor reluctance to engage for some parts of the fight but probably rightfully weren't.

6. Darnok

If I am remembering it correctly, they score each round individually and then hand that score in at the end of each round. On a round-by-round basis it was 3-2 to Conor (I don't see how anyone can say Nate won the second, I'd be interested in hearing your point of view, and I think you mean that Nate won the 3rd, that was the round where Conor was wobbling). Conor executed his gameplan perfectly, but he was hanging on for dear life in the last two minutes of the 5th round. I have a feeling that the extra weight ruined his cardio, but we'll see when he goes to 155.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Ah right yeh, it may well have been the third I was talking about :50: there was definitely one pretty dominant round for Diaz where Conor started backing up and looking at the clock etc. I thought he came through pretty well considering though, and Diaz also looked tired in 4 and 5.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Just watched it now on record and that's how I saw it as well. McGregor had the much better quality overall for me..

Thought McGregor may have let Diaz off the hook when he was dropping him but probably had the last fight in his head and didn't wanna gas out(thought he was gone at 3 and had nothing left), also Diaz is stronger on the ground..

That defence from Mcgregor, fantastic. What was he dropped, once? Right at the end..

Great fight, really was..

9. tino2u

10. Nasser

Agree with those saying that was one best UFC fights of all time it had everything, a war. McGregor has gone up in estimation, he looked like he was gassed and then got a burst of energy and his clinch and takedown defence was just so good to watch but there was a stage in that fight where he was taking clean shots to the chin and temple and if that was someone with more power than Diaz then Conor would be in serious trouble. Diaz is also so good to watch he just loves a war I loved it when he stuck his middle finger up in middle of fight funny *.

11. This Charming Man

Surprise surprise *!

12. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

I thought the rounds 1, 2 and 4 were easily Conors myself, not really sure why some people (a lot of fighters anyways) seem to be convinced that Nate was the clear winner.

13. Darnok

They are jealous that their fight pay is 1% of what he made last night, maybe?

14. Nasser

I think a lot of current fighters sometimes are the worst with opinions and analysis of pre and post fights it's more based on who they like who their homie is, and what team they belong and jealousy of Conor also plays apart. I dunno how anyone can say Diaz won that fight so it must be down to those reasons.

15. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

When will the 3rd fight be ? Straight away or months down the line ? McGregor doesn't seem too bothered about the Aldo fight. Or going back to 145.

McGregor will be clear favourite in rematch. He'll be that bit quicker, sharper, stronger and have lot more energy. Can see him knocking him out actually.

16. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Sounds about right. :smiley-laughing002:

17. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Thought this was brilliant. I'm just a casual fan so not really interested in watching two fighters grapple on the mat, whereas purists probably appreciate that, think Connor would win convincingly at 155 and I agree with what folk have said about other fighters' opinions with regards to jealousy and who their homies in the game are,etc.

18. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone who thinks mc gregpr lost that is a clown.

Im still celebrating.

19. Nasser

I dunno I can't see him KOing Nate I think it be another war that Conor should win. Diaz says he only wants to fight Conor next he won't fight anyone else before Conor. Conor wants the fight on his terms so I think it will be some time off, some saying a year away but I doubt it be that long but maybe 8 month + or more. Unless Conor fights someone else before Diaz which could happen but I can't see them fighting anytime soon especially with cutting weight.

20. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

No chance McGregor will be allowed to wait a year before be fights again.