1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackburn consider Bellamy swoop

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Celtic Mad, Apr 9, 2005.

By Celtic Mad on Apr 9, 2005 at 2:57 PM
  1. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Blackburn consider Bellamy swoop

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes is willing to offer Craig Bellamy a permanent escape route from Newcastle.
    The 25-year-old Wales striker joined Celtic on loan in January until the end of the season following his fall-out with Magpies boss Graeme Souness.

However, former Wales manager Hughes is hoping to raise the £5m needed to land Bellamy but faces opposition from the Glasgow giants.

He said: "I made an enquiry in January and it's something I'll look at again."

Hughes told The Sun newspaper: "It is Newcastle's decision whether they want to keep Craig, but he is a player I obviously know well from my time as Wales manager.

"A striker is something for the summer and the sooner we can secure our Premiership status, the sooner we can plan for the future.

"We will look at a number of players in the summer."

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, who is understood to be in talks with Newcastle to make Bellamy's move permanent, said: "Craig has been a huge success and everyone at Celtic is delighted with him.

"He has fitted in brilliantly and we have no complaints about him on or off the park. The board know the fans would love him to stay - we want him to stay too."