1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Which of the 3 European Finals did you witness?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Smileyy, Jul 21, 2011.

Discuss Which of the 3 European Finals did you witness? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Smileyy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    So, we've been to 3 major European Finals, won one, lost two.

European Cup Final - 25 May 1967
    Celtic 2-1 Inter Milan

European Cup Final - 6 May 1970

Feyenoord 2-1 Celtic (AET)

UEFA Cup Final - 21 May 2003

FC Porto 3-2 Celtic (AET)

Which finals where you lucky enough to have witnessed and if you've got any stories from the games, or from the games up untill the final, you're welcome to share them. :icon_mrgreen:

As i'm only 18, I have only witnessed 1 - The UEFA Cup Final. I was only 10 at the time, but I remember it like it was yesterday, over-coming teams like Blackburn, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart, Liverpool & Boavista was amazing, we never looked like getting knocked out imo. Noone gave us a chance before we played all the teams but we proved everyone wrong and made it to Seville, from Hartsons away goal vs Celta Vigo to Larssons away goal vs Boavista, every game was an absolute joy to watch.

There's two moments that stand out for me before the final and they are:

Hartsons screamer at Anfield

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodsuIr1zDk[/YOUTUBE]

Larssons goal in Portugal vs Boavista

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbyJyLPIh_8[/YOUTUBE]

I can watch these goals again, and again, and again and it never fails to bring a smile to my face. :celt_2:

I couldn't believe it when we knocked out Boavista, I actually woke up the next day and thought it was a dream :56:, but thankfully it wasn't. I was still only 10 years old, but I think this was the moment that I realised how much I love Celtic.

I can remember a few days before the first leg vs Boavista, in one of the papers, the headline was:

V FOR VICTORY

It was talking about some kind of omen thing, that every team we had faced had the letter "v" in their name -

FC Suduva
    Blackburn Rovers
    Celta Vigo
    VfB Stuttgart
    Liverpool
    Boavista

The other semi-final was Lazio vs Porto, and Porto didn't have "v" in their name, but Lazio's full name was Società Sportiva Lazio, so I wanted Lazio to go through just because of that :56: But then they got pumped 4-1 in the 1st leg so that was never going to happen:56:

The Final came and we where in my house with all my uncles, aunties, cousins etc, the house was green, white & orange, I remember we played OK up until the end of the first half then Porto scored, but we came back out in the second half and got the equalizer straight away, then about 10 mins later, they scored again, but again, we got an equalizer straight after.

I can only remember brief moments of the game after that up until full-time as i've not watched the game since that night, but when the final whistle went for full-time, I really thought we would win it.

Then, Balde got sent off. Down to 10-men against a team who where virtually doing ANYTHING to win this game the cheating bassas, we tried to hold on till penalties, but we couldn't hold on any longer. We where just 5 minutes away from penalties, which i believe to this day, we wouldn't won the shoot-out, but unfortunetly it just wasn't to be. :54:

Even though we didn't win the cup that night, I and i'm sure every single Celtic fan, where so proud of the efforts of the players that night and i'll never forget it.

I'll also never forget what Larsson done in that game, getting 2 goals in a Cup Final you'd think he would've got a winners' medal, a medal which he deserved.

But after the heart-ache of the result,

We All Had A Party In Seville, OLE! :celt_2:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=872kKSkCv8s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

So what finals have you witnessed and any stories you have or what things you can remember from them? :icon_mrgreen:

Also, I hope I haven't talked a lot of * and wasted your time if you've read all that up there ^^^^ :56: sorry if i have lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Seville

i got a black eye from when henrik scored when i must of been flung 3 rows down from were i was sitting and smacked the back of some lads head. well worth it!!!!

so many stories from that trip, stayed a week, best week of my life even though we lost.:icon_mrgreen::54:

3. JamesConnolly

Seville

wish i have seen them all

4. kennydal

Them all :56: I was 3 years old in 67 ,cant remember that of course but was told to look for Daddy and my older Brother on the T.V .

The 70 game i do remember watching as i was 6 years old and going to the games at that time but not Milan ,again watching the T.V as my Da and Brother were there again.

Seville ,,eyesight had gone by this stage :56:

5. Heisenberg

seville, still breaks my heart to this day.

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
  7. DixieDixie

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    All three.

I remenber my da' putting me to bed after the final whistle as he was going to the pub to celebrate and I also remember my older bro' laughing his head off 'caus my old man was so delirious! I was 4.

In 1970 I remenber watching the game on tv with my da' and bro'. My mum, as in 1967, had gone to her sisters house 'out the road'.:56:
    I remember celebrating Tommy G's goal and the feeling of disbelief when we lost. By this time I had already been to two or three Celtic games myself.

I was in Seville but not at the game. I watched the game on a huge screen in a car park about a mile from the stadium. It really was a bitter sweet day!

I wonder if we'll ever reach another final in my lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  8. BRAIN CAPERS

I was coming up 8 yrs old in '67 :52:

Always remember the Nuns telling us all to stand up and say a prayer for the Celtic before we left school that day !

Then bolting home for the fitba ! :icon_mrgreen:

They did the same in '70....but the prayers didn't work that time...:54:

:old:....:icon_mrgreen:

9. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I seen one in the porto end £500 it cost me matchday. Dragons den, i'm out!!!

We lost but wouldn't swap it for the world

10. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Great post, and good point. The fans need to get behind the team and it will happen again believe me. Deep down you know that yourself.

11. kris_bhoy_1916

12. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm also only 18 so was only 10 in Seville. Still remember it like it was yesterday though. Such a tense game in Boavista, then when Henrik scored me and my Dad just went absolutely mental. We were literally rolling about on the floor in celebration. Then he told me that we would go to Seville, regardless of whether or not we got a ticket. Gatwick airport was packed with Tims at 6 am on the Tuesday, we flew into Madrid (again packed with Tims) and got the train to Seville. The city was just completely green and white. Couldn't eat anything on the Wednesday, too nervous. We were going to go to the big screens to watch the game, but on the way we saw loads of fans coming back saying they were full. The first pub we tryed was too crowded, the second had run out of beer. We eventually found one with about 50 Celtic fans and 2 Porto fans. Then of course Porto were diving all over the place, the pub went mental when we scored, then when they scored in extra time I was in tears. At full time me and my Dad just sat outside on the street crying into a giant 'Celts in Seville' flag. A photo of this then appeared on the back page of a Spanish newspaper the next day.

13. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Was only 10 when we were in Seville. I remember my dad leaving the room during extra time when it was still 2-2 because he was "too nervous" to watch.

14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Seville

15. Breenzo

I'm 24, so only Seville.

This is where I'm really jealous of people of my Dad's generation. He was 14 in 1967. He will remember Celtic, Rangers, and Aberdeen all winning in Europe, as well as Scotland qualifying for every major tournament.

16. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    seville! hope to see another soon though/

17. Conor1888

Uefa cup final

18. TheZacDaddy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Seville - happened a couple of months before I was getting married and I spend a fortune on my wedding so had no dough for the trip.
    All the bhoys were there as well.
    Gutted we didn't win, especially being cheated the way we were at times, although still * proud to have accomplished what we did and * proud of the fans and their behaviour throughout the tournament.
    Ended up watching with me Da. I decided to be civilised to ensure I'd remember the night and got in some really nice (and expensive) wine.
    It didn't quite go to plan and after my 3rd bottle it all went a bit fuzzy.
    Still remember the tears at the final whistle though!
    My Dad saw all 3 and regularly watched the Bhoys during 9IAR, etc, etc - he's got loads of great stories from that era...
    Hail Hail

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    THe 1970 final against Feyenoord was a little bit before I was born so I only saw the 2003 UEFA Cup Final of the 3. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to see Celtic reach another final and win.

20. AnthonyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fortune & Maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Seville , remember greeting my eyes out with pride that night.