1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

NHL

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by T.D., Jan 24, 2007.

Discuss NHL in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Degen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Lubo
    I'd actually recommend playing the NHL videogames to pick up the rules. They are really good. If it wasn't for Madden, I probably wouldn't know a thing about American Football.

Hockey rules aren't too difficult to get to grips with though. If you watch a few games and look up anything you don't understand (like if you didn't know why a player was ruled offside) then you should pick it up quite quickly.

2. Dáibhí

Any idea when the draft is taking place then?

3. Oak Aged

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lambert , Brown , Di Canio , Cadete , Thom , Pierre .
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Yes . When is the live draft .

Have a great weekend.

* bless the Richard Family .

4. Farmer

Hockey is very similar to football. Offsides are different in that the puck has to enter the attacking zone (over the blue line ) before any attackers can enter the zone. If the puck leaves the zone all of the defenders have to clear the zone and get the puck in again. Icing is when you shoot the puck all the way down the ice from your half of the ice. If a member of the team that iced the puck reaches it first however the icing is waved off and play continues. If icing is called the face off goes down to the offending teams end and that team cannot change lines. Penalties are served as 2:00 minors where the offending team goes down a man for the duration. There are also double minors (4:00) for drawing blood and majors (5:00) for fighting. Those are really the main rules you need to know to follow the game. There are other rules but they don't really have a huge impact on following the game and can be picked up over time. Teams cycle through four lines of forwards, usually two scoring lines, one defensive line and one checking line, and three sets of defenders. Teams change on the fly or at stoppages, except when they ice the puck as I mentioned. Teams also have set power play (when the other team has a penalty) units and penalty kill units made up of top scorers or top defensive players.

5. C2911

Next weekend would probably be best for me. Saturday or Sunday at some time. But whatever suits the majority is fine with me.

If you could all join here that would be great and then we'll see if we have the numbers: http://y.ahoo.it/QU1Bif92

6. C2911

Bumping. If you're playing, join please.

7. WaterfordCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    havnt been on this in weeks so ill be joining up bhoys

8. Farmer

Alright I'm signed up.

For anyone who missed it Sunday night, the Sabres/Leafs brawl.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrFsXdhKZ8"]Buffalo Sabres vs Toronto Maple Leafs Brawl Sep 22, 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

9. Oak Aged

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Scott is no good and is absolutely useless . Kessel on the other hand did not look well swinging his twig like a * light saber . All he had to do is keep 2 mitts on his stick and skate backwards . His teammates would have jumped in . Scott can't skate , slow as * .

Don't even get me on the goalie fight , foolish .

10. Farmer

I've no problem with the goalie tilt, a nice throwback to old time hockey during a line brawl. Agreed that John Scott is a waste of space though. I can honestly say I can probably play hockey better than that guy. He is the textbook definition of a goon. I guess Buffalo's coach got suspended or fined for his antics of sending Scott after Kessel. I've never seen that happen before.

11. apevrak

I was looking over the league rules and I wonder, should we include tackles in the Forwards/Defenseman stat categories? Just so the D's is not a total waste in the game?

12. fjg

They mentioned a stat on the radio the other day. Something along the lines of Scott having the least points of anyone ever given the number of minutes he's played. But then again, you can't teach 6'8" and 250lbs.

I'm signed up for the league

13. Farmer

*, is someone else named Wade or did I sign up twice?

The *...

edit: Okay I deleted my other team it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  14. C2911

Good to see people signing up.

Would this weekend suit people? Or the weekend after (if it's the weekend after then week 1 of the season doesn't count towards our points)?

15. Bhoy.

How does the league work?? I thought the league started on Oct 1...

16. C2911

The regular season begins on 1st October.

In terms of the Fantasy League, we hold a live draft, people pick players one after another until their lineup is filled, and then we go head to head with one another over the course of the season. I'm having a tough time getting feedback on times when people are wanting to hold the draft as I don't think many read the thread (might PM it soon). If we don't hold it this weekend we'll hold it the next once the season has already begun. It just means that the points for the first week won't contribute towards our totals.

17. Oak Aged

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Friday night , Sunday all day ?

18. Farmer

I'm good for whenever, will try and work around everyone else.

19. C2911

How about Sunday at 8pm? (3pm ET for you North Americans among us). Or if not next Sunday at the same time?

20. AbBhoy

* me, Oilers first 9 of 14 games on the road and our top two centres are injured. Hot start this year, boys.

Good to see that * Kassian get eight games, should've been longer.

Hall at centre. Hmm. Dunno yet. He's my favorite player on this team but a reckless *. Cerebral/cool-headed enough to be centre.

Oilers starting well in preseason, like the look of new coach Eakins. This team is not rebuilding, this team is competing. Playoff bound.