1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

I was wondering...What do you guys think of the EU?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by T.D., Dec 7, 2006.

Discuss I was wondering...What do you guys think of the EU? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. T.D.

Fav Celtic Player:
    JOHN REID OUT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LET THE PEOPLE SING!!!
    I can only look at the EU from the outside... So im wondering what you guys think about it?

2. Celtic_Lass

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace, YNWA
    until i learnt about it at school, i didn't know what it was or even think about it. i thought it was some english parliament or summat :56: :52:

it doesn't seem to do much lol. hasn't done anything with the Iraq war anyway.

3. jonny_cfc_n01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka and King Arthur
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldiers song
    I'm not really up to date with the EU at the moment but it seems to me the USA are gradually becoming a very lonely country-which imo is what the terrorists wanted and some countrys have let down the war on terror very badly

4. Jack

What do you mean? Just as in the EU in general or what?

5. coz_1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, JVOH, McManus
    EU is only good for not having to get work permits for every foreigner.

Too many countries are joining it and coming over here to work, need to draw the line somewhere.

I think I was taught in school that most of the money is ploughed into subsidising farmers, which helps countries like france spain etc far more than GB.

Fair to say for your average joe it doesnt make one bit of difference, meant to be easier for businesses etc though to expand throughout Europe without the red tape.

6. Jack

I think the EU is good when it comes to trade links within Europe.. Countries can trade/buy/sell certain things to one another which I'm guessing can only be a good thing ( unless its something like weapons. )

7. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The EU is interesting. As others have pointed out it's had little impact on the war in Iraq but it's not meant to. The EU has a certain remit and different countries' defence policy isn't one of them. The EU was supposed to remove barriers to trade and encourage movement between countries. That it has done so now if I wanted I could go and work in France without the need for a visa.

The social and employment changes the EU has brought about have certainly impacted on Britain, for example the fact that women now get 9 months paid maternity leave is courtesty of the EU, as is the Equal Pay Act and the policies of no discrimination.

The EU has also lead to the Human Rights Act and the European Convention on Human Rights which sets down in statute for the first time inherent rights.

The European Court of Justice gave us the Bosman ruling which has certainly changed the way football clubs operate.

One of the main criticisms levelled at the EU is that it has lead to the loss of sovereignty for member states, ie that countries such as Britain now do not have the final say on policy or, indeed, laws. If someone has a case, for example, for unfair dismissal and they take it to the House of Lords which is the highest Civil court in the country (both for England and Scotland) the decision can then be appealed to the Euro Court of Justice (on certain conditions). The judges there can then overturn any decision that the Lords may have made thus setting a precedent which our courts have to follow.

I think the EU is a good thing in the way it has opened up trade and movement but I don't think it should be handed any more power and I don't think the Euro is a good idea (at the moment anyway).

8. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wow! smart too:86: im in heaven:56:

9. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :52: I knew those European law courses at uni would come in handy :50:

10. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

I'm glad Switzerland ain't a part of it!

11. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    is the smoking ban imposed in scotland yet?

12. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah it came in on 26th March this year, it's great! I think it's due to come in next year in England and Wales.

When did Ireland get it? I've been to Dublin twice, in 2002 and 2004 and I remember in 2004 the ban was in but I can't remember about 2002. Dublin is a gorgeous city btw!

13. jonny_cfc_n01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka and King Arthur
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldiers song
    I can not speak highly of the smoking ban its great

14. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wanna houseswap!:86: ID KILL 2 live and work in glasgow(must be green and white tinted hoop glasses:87: ) we were first country in EU 2 have smoking ban...works like a treat even though i smoke myself ..ive cut down on nights out big time:50: where u stay in baile atha cliath ghirl:shamrock:

15. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

First time I was in Dublin (had to google that gaelic!) we stayed in a Euro hostel near O'Connell Street and it was great cos we could walk everywhere and there are some 24 hour shops along O'Connell Street where we could get food after a night out :84: We were there for 4 days and it was great - we did all the typical touristy things :celt_2:

Second time we got a room for one Euro at a hotel close to the airport. It was on a bus route but took aaaaages to get into the city centre. I really enjoyed it though and saw a few things we hadn't managed to see before but we were only there for a couple of days and my boyfriend hadn't been before so it was mainly repeating the main sights again.

It was great, I'd love to go back for a third time! In fact I'd love to see more of Ireland!

So yeah, we definately need to houseswap!

16. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

houseswap it is then:86: next time ur over give us a buzz and ill show u around no prob! where in eire u like 2 see most?

17. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd love to visit Galway. I was in Hamburg for 10 days during the summer and found a fantastic Irish bar which was owned by a great guy called Aiden from Galway and he really talked it up so I'd love to go and see if it's all he says it is!

I'd actually just like to get in my car and get the ferry over and just do a massive roadtrip!

What about you, apart from Glasgow have you seen much of Scotland?

18. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    no havent seen any of scotland ghirl..went out with girl from glasgow for a while i waz living in jersey and all she had 2 do waz talk and i waz:35: since ur taken any mates:56: ive got cousins livin in galway(originally from gort) great place 2 visit..both are hunks by the way ..think brad pitt/beckham clone(their ma is a health freak) and they know the ropes over there ..drove over there many times ..great spot 2 chill out:50:

19. millerghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sounds good! :84: Funny that you like a Glasgow accent so much cos I love an Irish accent :celt_2: I'll come over to Dublin and you can take me across to Galway, ok?! :86:

20. BOBOBHOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady/beattie/maddog
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    like it:97: im trembling just thinking bout it:84: sounds good 2 me:shamrock: :celt_2: :shamrock: ill hound u till u do 2 im a bhoy of my word:56: