1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] shane long

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Mince.Charming, Feb 18, 2011.

Discuss shane long in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

john carew please.

2. Conor1994

Why buy a burnt-out sluggish high-wage past-it has-been when we can get a young, pacey striker in the form of his life who is already better than Carew?

3. Stuboy

M8 cmon! This is my last post I'll make on Long, don't want you to think I'm picking on your comments only, I just don't agree with what you have said so far. Nothing personal buddy,.,.

Carew maybe 31 but SPL defenders would not be able to cope with him, he also has the experience necessary to give us another dimension in europe.

I realise some people may think starting to sign people over 30 would be a step backwards from our signing policy last season as there is no resale value etc. however if you can get the right quality veterans on free transfers, I would go for it. You do need caution tho as mentioned previously look at Ljundberg...

I don't think you really thought your comment out.
    For you to say Long is already better than Carew is a bit short sighted. Carew has played in Norway, Spain, France, Turkey & England for some really big clubs. So you are talking major experience of different playing styles and also numerous seasons with Club European competitions. He's also got over 80 senior caps for his country and over 20 goals.

Shane Long has played for 1 very distinctly average club = Reading, he probably only plays in on style = his own. he has no club competition experience and has predominantly only played at one level = the championship (with exception of 1 season in the EPL), how can you even start to compare them?

If Long does sign I would not be unhappy. However for the transfer money quoted and potential other suitors in EPL I think this will probably be a no go. I don't doubt he's got a bright future ahead of him, I just don't think right now he would dramatically improve our team and for the money involved we could build more depth to our squad. I would sign a different style of forward someone who has experience in Europe. We have made strides in the SPL this season, what we need to do is aim to improve in europe next season. Which you undoubtedly need experience for.

4. Stuboy

Meant to say Long has no club european experience...

5. Conor1994

Carew has scored one goal this season. I'm pretty sure that Long would have scored more than that if he was in the EPL. He has proved himself by scoring against premiership clubs in the FA Cup like Liverpool and West Brom. He has dominated Uruguayan and Russian centre-backs for Ireland. Why would you rather have such a has-been who doesn't fit into our style of play, which is not lumping it forward.

And Long only has one style? All Carew can do is play the target man role. He's a lump who's lost whatever pace he had.

6. GARRISON

Agreed - Shane Long is pacey and a proven goal scorer and can only get better. Carew lacks pace and his best years are definitely behind him. Would not improve the team

7. Carlos Valderrama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    Carew is past it, and as far as European club and top level experience is concerned (i.e Prem etc) then all I have to say is Samaras. Some times youth potential is worth spending money on ...Hooper. Nuff said.

8. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    If it was a toss up between the two Shane Long would win hands down for me

9. Celtic_magic

Carew is still one of the better target man in the epl. He would bully and defence in europe with his power and statue. He will score 15+ in spl

10. lucysantrimbhoy

It has to be Shane Long & Kevin Doyle for me. John Carew is superb when he's interested. My two best mates are Villa Season ticket holders and they both loved Big John for the first 18months he was there. There was an incident just before Villa played Ajax in the Europa League, where he was caught in a lap dance club the night before the game and O'Neill dropped him. After that he was rarely interested.

If we signed him, and I believe he would be available on a free as he's loan on Stoke, I'm sure he would score goal for us but he's wages would be ridiculous and when he loses interest, as he has done at everyone of his clubs, we would be left with a player on terms that makes big Bobo's look charitable. We wouldn't be able to move him on. Although I suspect he'll sign on full time for Stoke.

Long is young, he's hungry and skillful and looking the part for Ireland. We are buying a player who I've no doubt value will increase. If Reading are not promoted I suspect we would get him for £3-£3.5mil at a max. I must say if Reading go up I doubt he'll leave.

Doyle is without doubt the hardest working centre forward in the EPL, he would cost £5-6 million but again I feel with a good couple of years with us his value would increase. He would dominate defenses in the SPL & goal would flow for Hooper and/or Stokes.

I can't see us signing Carew, who I think will sign for Stoke. Can't see us signing Doyle either as I think he will stay at Wolves or sign for another EPL team if sold. Long I see as realistic but only if Reading stay in the Fizzy Pop Championship.

11. Wilkie1888

Anyone who says Long is better than carew should log out.

Simple.

12. lucysantrimbhoy

I'm not saying Long is better than Carew as we speak. FFS the man has played in two CL finals, but do you think he will accept less than he's on at Villa? He WILL sign for Stoke on a free and maintain the £50-60 k he's currently on. Long is on the way up, he may never be as good as Carew was but he WILL give he's all in every game and will be better that Carew as ages and loses interest.

Carew is not an option anyway, in he's defense he coming to the end of he's career and he's playing for a top half EPL side who is the FA Cup final and who looklike will be in the Europa League next year. I've not even seen him linked with us. Where as Lennon has said we are looking at Long.

Jesus, I want us to sign Messi but its not going to happen and ,therefore, I'm not going to state the obvious..... that Messi is better a better player than Long. If we somehow sign Carew I would be delighted but I would think that is the same way I felt when we signed Tommy Graveson. We ended up with a washed up play, who had been superb, who was on huge money and stopped us being able to sign better quality until he left the club.

13. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    Carew isn't an option great player on his day but would rather have long as he would be alot cheaper option and we need more British based players.also his Irish roots are also a bonus.the more players who know what it means to play for the club the better

14. Mince.Charming

i would bring in long and john sutton. were not going to use a targetman everygame as thats not the way we play. to bring in carew on 40 grand a week i think it would be a luxury personaly and john sutton could come in and do a more effective job than murphy and be used like the st johnstone game. long, hooper, stokes and sutton would be good options.

15. Bamboozle

think we have to look above the likes of Sutton and O'Conner, our scouting network have shown they have the ability to identify good players, we've already seen that Italian giant came in on trial a few weeks back so obvioulsy Lennon has indicated to be on the look out for a target man, so hopefully the scouts can identify a 6'4 hidden gem playing in some european league.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I would * myself if we got Carew to be honest.

17. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    aye cos we've never had a succesful scandinavian striker before have we?:rolleyes:

18. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Carew is so past his prime it's not even funny

19. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Liverpool are lining up a shock summer move for Reading striker Shane Long.
    The Republic of Ireland international was named Reading's Player of the Season after scoring 21 Championship goals this season, helping Brian McDermott's side into the play-offs.
    Reading take on Cardiff tomorrow in the first leg of their play-off semi-final and Long is expected to start up front.
    But it is understood that Liverpool are keeping a close eye on the tie and could be ready to launch a cut-price bid for Long should the Royals fail in their promotion bid.
    The 24-year-old, who only has a year left on his Reading contract, is desperate to try his hand in the Premier League and could be available for around £5m this summer.
    Despite the January signings of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, Liverpool are expected to further strengthen their frontline with question marks still hanging over back-up forward David N'Gog - and Long has emerged as a priority target given his value for money.
    Newcastle have also been tracking Long, who has scored 52 goals in just 114 appearances since arriving from Cork City in 2005, and could be ready to firm up their interest with an offer of their own.

Related Content
    Tags

20. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry

Aye posted a good while back in this thread Liverpool was looking at him :38:we have missed the boat again by the looks of it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.