1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] shane long

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Mince.Charming, Feb 18, 2011.

Discuss shane long in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHbhoyforlifeRH

No his contract ends in the summer 100% he has been offered an extension but I sure he has not signed it

2. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair if he's out of contract it would make
    Sense if we are in for him!

3. Chrissymac1888

Signed a 1 year extension in about November, was in local paper.. Basically he will stay at Reading if they get promoted via the playoffs, if not he'll leave..

Was a promising hurling player as a teen, so didn't take up football till his mid teens.. only went to Reading as part of the doyle deal.. Got minimal football in Reading's prem years, really could have done with being loaned out to a lower league club and didn't really develop. Is rapidly improving with regular football and is still only 23.. Would be a big risk at 5-6 million, but for 3-4 could be a good buy. Think he would score 20+ a season in the SPL

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/9162436.stm

signed a contract extension in November 2010. will be at Reading until 2012. we will have to pay a fee.

£4m+ is too much. we could spend that on a player but we won't. there's only been one player we have spent that on in the last decade. we will have to wait anyway to see if Reading get promoted. if they do, he'll stay. Reading stay in the Championship and we get our man for £3m, i'd be happy.

5. Stuboy

Defo next summer its up, on http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk (always find this site reliable) Contract until: 30.06.2012

6. Celtic_magic

5 mil could get us john carew....

7. Conor1994

I would rather Long.

8. Carlos Valderrama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    Carew is past it.

9. Heisenberg

WOuld love to see long up here

10. Shen

This, Doyle would run riot in the SPL.

11. Heisenberg

doyle is overrated

12. T.Rogne25

5m could get us a 17 year-old wonder kid who is going to an unbelievable talent. Or Shane Long?

13. DanTheMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Would be a good signing but nothing more than £3m.

14. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I think Shane Long would be a success up here, he is becoming a more prolific goalscorer and is improving with age. He also had 2 years experience playing in the Premier League from 2006-2008 when he was 19-21. I would prefer him as an option to Sammy.

15. jandito

Don't see it happening in all honesty.

If Reading don't go up, he'll almost certainly be snapped up by someone from the Premiership anyway. He's just had too good a season to make us a realistic option.

Think he's way too similar to Hooper and Stokes anyway, definitely not worth the 5 million being quoted recently.

I think we'll end up going for a target man myself, or at the very least someone with a bit of presence i.e Huseklepp or Sutton-(Hope not).

Doyle is a good shout, but again unrealistic. If Wolves go down, one of the mid to lower table clubs will take him for 5-6 million. Or as usual with Doyle, someone coming up from the Championship. Wouldn't be at all suprised to see him at QPR next season.

We'll definitely go for a striker though, i'd be suprised if we didn't make a bid for Goodwillie, maybe try and get him at a half decent price, before any of the English clubs come calling.

Would like to see us go for Danny Graham as well, think he'd fit in well up here, and would be another Hooper type.

Maybe he'll go back in for Garra Dembele? Despite his questionable off field record, his on field one is impressive. I hope Lenny goes in for him again.

Sad to say, and it won't be popular in here, but i'd love us to do what Rangers did with Jelavic, pay top dollar for genuine quality. If we partner Hooper with a top class striker next year, we win the league. Simple as that for me.

16. flannybhoy

Total Games - 172
    Total Goals - 52

This season he has scored 23 goals in 46 apps because he has been playing as a striker when he was getting played outwide so if we do get him play him along side Hooper but where would stokes fit in if we did get him?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  17. flannybhoy

I have seen him play for Reading and he would be amazing with Hooper... All stops to sign him.

18. Carlos Valderrama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    From what I've seen of him, I would rather sign him for 5m than Doyle or Keane.

19. Carlos Valderrama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.

I think we could play Stokes on the right or left side of Midfield. His passing is very very good and can beat a defender. He showed this against Dundee Utd at the start of the season.

20. Chrissymac1888

Premiership experience is minimal as I think he had about 10 league starts in the 2 seasons Reading spent in the Prem. Was used as a sub and when coming on had minimal impact. Struggled in the championship as their main striker after doyle went to wolves.

Was slated on Reading forums for ages for his lack of goalscoring ability, and all round game. Both have improved ONLY this season, is yet to prove he can consistently at the same high level.. Only started producing decent form in November. Better, cheaper options available I feel..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.