1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What was Strachan thinking with PAUL TELFER last nite!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by martycfc1888, Sep 14, 2006.

Discuss What was Strachan thinking with PAUL TELFER last nite! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martycfc1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stilian Petrov, tireless and the battery of the Ticking Tims.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf clover.
    Does anyone else agree that a 35 yr old!!!! defender who cant make the first team in the league and is on the bench (dont ask me how) bring something to the team......Experience? When has telfer EVER played in the champions league? How many back passes did he make? He cost us a goal against rangers when Prso got in front of him when we got humped at Ibrox. That when I noticed and some others that a 35 yr old stop plug doesnt work! We tried to keep our older players and lost the league on the last day of the season because we didnt have the legs or the depth to draw out a win against Motherwell. This business of carrying players has to stop, unless that player is exceptional and has something, ANYTHING to offer. I so * off and I was last nite when he took Wilson off

2. stoogie 02

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    Wilson was injured, that's why Telfer was brought on.
    Strachan had no choice, McManus, Caldwell and Naylor were all carrying knocks from the weekend, so it makes sense to have experienced defensive cover on the bench, unfotunately that meant Telfer.
    He's played in the EPL for years, but he was terrible last night.
    I think probably Strachan was worried that Naylor might not play the full game, theefore having Telfer on the bench gave him the option to play Wilson at left back if he was needed.

3. madtim1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gravesen/ VOH / JIRI / Maloney/Mcgeady/Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    i said in an earlier thread about last nights game wgs got his overall tactics spot on last night except .. 1 he brought on that imposter telfer for wilson .. and the guy was raped again tbh. nearly scored an wonder o.g. aswell .. why he did i dunno he shudda brought on pearson or the lad cuthbert even ... please no more telfer .. soon as i saw wee wilson getting injured was having a great game aswell then that idiot telfer getting warmed up my heart sank and for what he time he played in the game was nothing short of awfull ... a game of that ilk he should be nowhere near the stadium never mind on the bench... if wilson is out for the next game or 2 i dunno how his injury is ... id go with at the back meantime ....

___Caldwell________McManus____Balde_________Naylor.

4. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    Big BOBO should have came on instead of that * *
    He has got to be the worst * Ive seen in the hoops fs

5. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Hve we got anyone in the reserves/youth team setup that plays at right back? Nows the time to blood him if Wilson is injured.

6. liamsquire

That was what I was gonna say about the defence with playing Caldwell at RB if Wilson is out. 100% CANNOT PLAY TELFER!

7. Sanders

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    BBB

Yes that's right... put Bobo Balde at right back. Could you imagine Balde down the right whipping in crosses for Vennegoor of Hesselink? Think about... you'll eventually see sense

8. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Bobo didnt have match sharpness at all, one reserve game doesnt make you ready for a tough match with Man Utd. Bringing on Bobo would have been in a worst case scenario.

Telfer aint good enough but he was only brought on because Wilson was injured.

If we had a reserve player that was good enough, Strachan would have brought them. Remember that Strachan was the one that first played Maloney and McManus regularly, players that weren't playing much or producing under O'Neill.

9. Dalkeith Davie

Fav Celtic Player:
    THE RAGE CUCKOO!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover.
    i am not a telfer fan but he did nothing wrong last night and does not deserve a slating on here.

10. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The header back towards Boruc where a world class save was required to prevent a goal was one incident anyways

11. surferrosa

Fav Celtic Player:
    JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wgs had no option last night - wilson was injured - end of story.

wgs turfed telfer as soon as he could when he signed a proper left back - just really hope the injury to wilson isnt seriuos - i think hes a proper gem.

12. Dalkeith Davie

Fav Celtic Player:
    THE RAGE CUCKOO!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover.
    The header was a poor one but an honest mistake other than that what did he do that any other defender did not in that game.

13. Needtoknow

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady/VOH/Maloney/Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was crap, watch the game again & you will see how bad he was, i knew the game was up when he came on!

14. Johnbhoy67

Yeah Telfer was bad but he is an easy target. If you want to look for a reason why we got beat then you had better look elsewhere. McGeady was like a rabbit caught in the headlights, the collective midfield was * and yet it was all Telfers fault. Wilson was injured and he had no alternative but to play Telfer. I watched Bobo playing for the reserves and he is no where near ready.

15. GuitarBhoy

Gangland, Vancouver, BC, The Great White North
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic
    Its funny some of you rip into Telfer but always say that Lennon is great. And even McGeady is not that good of a player, he is too stupid with the ball.

16. markmu66

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy twists, tommy turns, tommy burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    mcgeady put in his worst performance in a celtic shirt. nakamura, apart from his wonder free kick didn't perform either. jarosik was asked to do a job kenny miller was bought for. gravesen and lennon kept giving the ball away needlessly. my seven year old son can pass better than that. pearson should have been playing from the start. his direct play rather than mcgeady's fan-dancing could have made the difference.

17. gibby150

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,,skippy ,sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk on,willie maley
    telfer is rank rotten .. balde will play tuesday for fitness then caldwell will play right back ,,,, get telfer tae *

18. Macca7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lee Naylor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    "That`s why we`re champions"
    Paul Telfer & Gordan Strachan are brother in laws, or Paul is Gordans son in law. They are related anyway.

19. Renegade T

Fav Celtic Player:
    Diego Samaradona
    perhibs they have a secret daisy chain..........

20. hubert

Fav Celtic Player:
    willie fernie & Shunsuki Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    for its a grand auld team to play for
    Mibbe thats how GS picks him, using daisy petals, he loves me, he loves me not? :87: