1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champs League Glorious Failure

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by SwoopingVulture, Sep 13, 2006.

Discuss Champs League Glorious Failure in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    As far as i can remember we have only really been put to the sword twice in the CL, against Anderlecht and against Shacktar. Those were the two games when we looked like we had no chance at all. Why do we put in such sterling fighting performances against great teams, (Barc, Bayern, Lyon and now Man U to name but a few).

I'd give occasional utter humilation for occasional victory in these matches. One draw out of ten attempts is a terrible record. I know how good the atmosphere is in Paradise during a CL game to know why we have a good record at home.

Is it just down to the fans that we get results in the CL??

Your thoughts...

2. lapsbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Russel Latapy
    never saw the game buddy was at work, but after hearing the comments

i think tonight we lost down to inexperience from some of the team, key players injured and not enough experience as a team playing together.

tho, showing here folk saying we played well, if that is the case i strongly think we can make the last 16 :)

3. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    But why can't we grind a draw out of so many chances? One draw in the Nou Camp of all places doesn't represent the oppertunities we've had to get points away from home.

Is the home support the only reason we win matches in the CL?

4. madtim1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gravesen/ VOH / JIRI / Maloney/Mcgeady/Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    first game ffsk .. come back with a thread like that after 6 games .. not the now .. giez piece.

5. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'm talking about over our chaps league history! All the games ffs.

6. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    No wins in 10 attempts is a bit of a habit. I'm as * off as anyone, I'm just asking is there any reason for it?

7. marty1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    j voh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk on
    I think the other 2 away games will be more important and im sure we will take something from at least 1 of them

8. tommo1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    sean maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenrye
    thought it was evident that more experienced players let us down jarosick,graveson ad mceady froze thought lennon and the back 4 were g8 except telfer when he came on but think wgs is getting there still go thro thats our hardest game out the way

9. madtim1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    aye its away from home we need to pick up points in the Cl we know that for sure ... * happens dood .. up against the best n all .. gotta pick up some points away having said that if we managed to win all our home games .. would equally 9 points and that will take us thru i think for sure in this section..confident we will pick up a some points away tho this season deffo. 3 maybe 4.

10. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    We've had 9 before and somehow we didnt qualify. We NEED to take points at away. Maybe i'm a worryer but i remember thinking "a draw at Rosenburg will be easy" then getting done by Harold Brattpak (sp) of all people. My opinion of Wilson grows and grows, Big Mick and Gary did OK, thtought Voh did a CL players job and Aiden and Lenny were good. The rest were poor.

I remember Galatasary were a great team a few years ago because no one could beat them at home (their supporters got knifed on tyhe way to the ground). But they never got anywhere in the CL because they could not finish it5 off away from home ie shut up shop, i think we yhave the same problem. Hope we dont.:celt_2::celt_2::celt_2:

11. madtim1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone
    what game where u watching ?. mcgeady was absolutely murder tonight... overawed looked nervous eveytime on the ball should have been whipped off at ht or sooner tbh .. did nothing all game.. gravesen gave away 2 goals . but nearly redeemed by the save from van -der sar.. still slack passing at times .. we fought till the last minute .. but saying mcgeady was good and the rest poor ? .. caldwell , wilson and mcmanus were very competent considenring the pressure they got put under at times .. artur boruc was absolutely immense big voh top man a true centre fw caused them lots of problems at times... it could have been 6-2 to the mancs .. but it could easily have been 3-3 aswell .. was one of those crazy games.

well with the 9 points scenario aswell .. i think that could well be enough especially with the other 2 sides drawing tonight wich was a great result.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2006
  12. tommo1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    sean maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenrye
    agree though apart from mceady he froze i luv him but he bottled it 2nite but still think we can go thro we have mostly young players who will improve wae the experience incedentially telfer shud retire now

13. marty1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    j voh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk on
    I agree about mgeady didnt do much and definetly agree about telfer go now please:31:

14. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    No arguments about telfer. The boy beside me was a Villa fan and he was talking about how the Coventry fans moaned how bad he was! I thought McGeady was good 1st half, might have disappeared 2ns half but showed more than anyone else much older than him in the mid except maybe for Lenny. Plus they are paid prob 5-10 times what he gets. Are we congratulating ourselves on being beaten by a team that have not got past the quarter finals in the last 5 years?

15. Needtoknow

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady/VOH/Maloney/Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Great performance, but gutted, a couple of sloppy mistakes and a ridiculous pen. VOH was class. McGeady was nervy tonight, but he has been outstanding for us this season and he will be again. We deserved a draw imo. When the Team gel fully we will qualify for last 16 this time! :50:

16. tommo1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    sean maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenrye
    money doesnt come in2 it meady was crap full game jarosik was to mceady caught in the headlights like a rabbit

17. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    the team need to gel , McGeady was nervous and i thought maloney did OK when he come on ...Bobo was on the bench so the good times will come im sure

18. hubert

Fav Celtic Player:
    willie fernie & Shunsuki Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    for its a grand auld team to play for
    If we have money I think we should spend in January, or forget doing well in the CL.
    Our present squad is good enough to win the SPL, but NOT to do well in the CL.

19. celticfc411

Fav Celtic Player:
    john hartson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    i think today bodes well
    if....we can get up for the other games like we did today

20. stoogie 02

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    No too down hearted, there's positives to be taken from the game.
    United are the best team in our group, if we can win our home games and perhaps scrape a point or two away from home we should be fine.
    Boruc was superb tonight, Wilson & Naylor both did well, our midfield didn't play at all, Naka had flashes but little else, V of H is class and I'm sure he will cause problems for a lot of teams this year.
    Miller and Maloney both did well coming on, hopefully Bobo coming back soon will ease the hesitancy our CB had tonight, we need someone to win the ball at the back and be fully committed to their decision making, neither McManus or Caldwell did this tonight, as for Telfer, total nightmare, I hope Wilson isn't seriously injured.