1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

To ALL The Roy Keane Knockers When He Signed For Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Strocky, Sep 1, 2006.

Discuss To ALL The Roy Keane Knockers When He Signed For Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Strocky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    sorry mate quote me the point that I missed and I'll reply :50:

got confused when you said he :52:

2. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why cant you go read it again?

3. Strocky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    because I dont know what post/quote/point your talking about - you've mentioned someone elses post and your own - it's getting late - but if it's a big deal dont worry about it :50:

4. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The one you quote me on obviously.

5. Strocky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    I've quoted 3 of your posts on this thread - if its for your last one - your right most football fans don't have loyalty towards players at the end of their careers - but football is a results business and fans demand success.

However the vast majority of fans dont give Lennon a hard time at CP unless he totally * up like he nearly did last week in the last minute and even then it was only a mild groan.

Players are paid handsomely to play a game we would do for * all - a wee bit of criticism isnt that big a price to pay for getting the privledge of playing for our great club :celt_2:

6. Murphy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley + You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sunderland would not have offered £2m for Lennon. The Telegraph had said we were paying £5m+ for VOH just a week ago.

7. liamsquire

Out of all those players you mentioned not one is a defensive midfielder. Sno is a novice, Pearsons quality and consistency is debateable, Thompson as you said yourself was a great servant but will get found out in CL, Jarosik has yet to prove himself here as has Gravesen.

So you call that cover? What if Gravesen is banned and Jarosik is injured? Does that mean we throw in a novice in Sno, Pearson, and a Thompson who you say will get found out?

I find it funny you include Thompson as a player for cover but then go on to say he will get found out in the CL. Thats hypocritical.

Lennon is past his best but even if he doesn't start in CL games, he has enough quality to ensure he does the job domestically giving starters a rest. I have to note everything said about Lennon was said about Didier Deschamps but he won nearly everything going. Its just certain people can't understand football in depth to know certain players don't need to perform a certain way such as scoring goals or beating players, etc.

Lennon is a defensive midfielder. Anyone who comes on here saying he doesn't score many goals obviously needs to take a look at what his position is and how he helps Celtic's strategy as a whole.

8. GuitarBhoy

Gangland, Vancouver, BC, The Great White North
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic
    But he's a midfielder, he's up in the action. He should have more than 3 GOALS in 6 YEARS.

9. hubert

Fav Celtic Player:
    willie fernie & Shunsuki Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    for its a grand auld team to play for
    My overall feeling about Lennon fitba wise is, he is more to the negative in his game than positive!
    Thats an opinion I have held since I started watching him with Celtic, not just recently, as a matter of fact as I have said before, against Hibs he was first class I thought, unfortunately I dont expect that to happen very often?

10. atodd1985

FFS Being the club captain is not all about what happens on the pitch. He is a trusted and repsected man at Celtic by both players and management (and fans who have a clue). This is so important as raw talent will not get you success in the game, you must have the attitude to go with it. With a young squad like celtics he is the ideal man for the job.

11. daschoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    caldwell, hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    i think lennon over the years has been a great servant to the club and a key player over a very successful period. however with him playing the way he has been recently then when you look at the players available in the centre of the midfield i think its very difficult to argue for his inclusion. i for one would not have been sorry to see him go but he would certainly have gone with my best wishes and fond memories for what he achieved in a celtic shirt. as it is he is still here so i would like to see him playing a similar role to lambo in his last season playing the occasional match and passing on his experiance to some of the younger players.
    incidentally i would put thompson (who was my favourite celtic player around the time of seville) in exactly the same bracket as lennon

12. Needtoknow

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady/VOH/Maloney/Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agreed!

13. stoogie 02

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    Lennon has given his all for Celtic, often at a personal cost to himself.
    There can be no doubting his love and passion for the club, and his wealth of experience is also a valuable commodity, I can't blame Strachan for keeping him around. Lennon has recieved various offers to progress as a coach at other clubs over the past two years, he has taken wage cuts to remain at Celtic. The fact that Roy Keane wanted him at Sunderland proves that Lennon still has a lot to offer, perhaps not so much on the playing field, but in a behind the scenes role involving coaching.
    There are loads of so called fans who take every opportunity to berate Lennon, but these are probably guys who only think the success of the team are down to scoring goals, there is a lot more to do with a football club than that, and Lennon is obviously a key component in Strachan's strategies for this season on and off the field.
    His best days are behind him, but there are plenty of games that wil require his no nonsense style of play, especially for the novice midfielders we have signed who have no or little experience of CL football and Old Firm games.
    I'm glad Lenny's staying, I hope he gets a job on the coaching staff next summer, like Tommy Burns, Lennon is Celtic through and through.

14. gerry_bhoy

cant be true, no one in the right mind would reject 2m for a 35 year old lennon on the last year of his contract. no * way, at least i hope not

15. Strocky

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    I know what your saying - I thought Lennon was Celtic's best midfielder aginst Hibs when we where getting overun by Brown/Thompson/Zemmama.

However at SPL level the players I mentioned are adequate cover although I'll concede that Lennon is the most definsive minded midfielder we've got. But at the SPL level Sno or Caldwell could easily play the holding role as could Gravesen (although I'd rather he took up the Petrov role)

As for Neil's goal scoring record - he wasnt bought to score goals but to break up attacks and dictate the rythym of the game - which he done brilliantly.

I just believe that Lennon wouldnt be the colossal loss to the team/squad you think he would if he had left in the transfer window

Hail Hail

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  16. OC.

I think this could be lennys most valuable season yet. The CL campaign will need a seasoned veteran like himself now thats stan has gone. This will be his last season so hopefully he goes out with a bang:50:

17. KevF2416

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hartson, Alan Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If Sunderland offered 2 million we would have accepted IMO.

We sold BBJ for 500k. And not selling Lennon for 2 million just doesn't make sense.

18. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The Telegraph said it, not me

19. LB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Hooper ,All Time -"Jinky"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Yet again through 1 person calling Lennon ,another thread gets ruined ......Well done (you know who you are) !! you are getting boring its laughable .......:31: :56:

20. KevF2416

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hartson, Alan Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I know Dempsey. But I thing its just paper talk..