1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Forget EPL set up Atlantic League

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by homerbhoy, Sep 1, 2010.

Discuss Forget EPL set up Atlantic League in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. GreenLeanMean

hmm, maybe if it was Scotland , Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Portugal with the three teams that finished top of their leagues before the induction entered e.g

(going from 2009-2010 results)

Ajax
    Andelecht
    Benfica
    Braga
    Bondby
    Celtic
    Club Brugge
    Copenhagen
    Dundee United
    FC Twente
    Gent
    Molde
    Odense
    Porto
    Psv
    Rangers
    Rosenborg
    Stabaek

That would be a league of 18 with perhaps the bottom three clubs relegated back to their respected leagues with the champions of each league going into a play-off round for the three open spots. However the league would be in danger of overpopulated with say portuguese teams and without maybe teams from denmark, plus all teams would maybe feel like they have lost some national identity and it would never happen...... anyway rant over borrrredness:rolleyes:

2. Colin McRae

Fav Celtic Player:
    henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Portguese teams are way ahaed of us.
    It's quite simply not as easy as saying, hey you lot, wanna start up a league?
    this idea is WAYYYY more unrealistic than the EPL idea. Neither of which will happen.

3. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    like the idea of that. maybe a way to combat the number of teams coming form one nation is to allocate 3 spaces to each country. the lowest finishing team from each country in the atlantic league plays the champion of their domestic league for that 3rd spot.

for example, celtic win the atlantic league, rangers finish somwhere, dundee utd finish bellow rangers. say aberdeen win the spl, dundee utd and aberdeen then have a play off for that 3rd scottish spot, celtic and rangers have an automatic spot as they werent the lowest finishing side from their nation.

4. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    this would be good! something new fresh and original! would also make everyone good money too. but dougt this would happen though

5. willsad83

Can never see any of this happening tbh think the best we can do is try to develop the spl into a better product for this is what were stuck with im afraid.Also always wonderd why swansea cardiff etc can play in england when theyre welsh teams and how this came about??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  6. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    there is only 5 million people in scotland to watch the spl plus an extra 2-3 million (total guesstimate) willing/able to tune in for OF games

7. willsad83

Yes but its the league were in its ok dreaming about goin to england or euro leagues but its not going to happen imo so lets focus on spl mybe if it was more competitive and teams were doing better in europe scottish football could become a force again

8. fms06

Its celtic's duty to push for the epl, al, or what ever that will bring in more revenue for the club and the fans. It may seem a dream but pushing for change can help make it happen.
    I cant see the epl (pity) as the english have their own agenda.

9. fms06

Its celtic's duty to push for the epl, al, or what ever that will bring in more revenue for the club and the fans. It may seem a dream but pushing for change can help make it happen.
    I cant see the epl (pity) as the english have their own agenda.

10. TheZacDaddy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    I'm not sure if anything will ever happen, in terms of us changing leagues. Like a lot of fans, I am open to all possibilities, as anything which removes us from the backwater of the SPL and allows the club to enjoy greater revenues, thus providing a greater team, is all for the greater good. Great, eh?

11. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Great idea , wish i'd a thought of it.

12. seanolamisio

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    just dont think people would be interested enough in games against the likes of aik stockholm,gent or rosenborg,at least in the spl you get mini rivalries and old scores to settle,hatred of opposition players is a big part of the game,we would need a few seasons to get to know and hate these teams,just dont think it would take off

13. Colin McRae

Fav Celtic Player:
    henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'll gee you a fiver.. bet you can't get to rome n back.

14. ooo

i doubt the other countries will want to join this league just cause were in despeate need of help

15. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    ryanair do, well they did when i went to rome last year, one way flights from glasgow to rome for 99p.

to take a * on one of their planes is £1. my * costs more than their flights.

16. Feyenoord_Celt

Don't know why people want to start that competition with 6 countries.
    I think three would be perfect. Holland Belgium and Scotland would have acceptable traveling distances for away supporters and it would not be that hard to pick out the top 6 in every country. Maybe Holland & Scotland together would be enough already. Pick 9 teams in both countries and you have a real improvement.

17. higgyd

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    would love to go to the EPL but imo they're scared to let us in incase we win it in 3 years us and rangers imo

18. Colin McRae

Fav Celtic Player:
    henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    What about airport taxes? then ofcourse ther is transport from the airport to the football ground, money to do things while you wait the xamount of hours till the game starts.. and then transport back to the airport and money for things to do with the x amount of hours you have to wait for the flight

this 5er aint going to stretch that far

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    it is the most likely option but whos to say we cant ask few big english clubs that aint in premier league to join spl the likes of leeds forest they would add something plus think sky would buy into it

20. Pauli_Andy

I think an Altantic League would be a big mistake. I don't think it would attract that much attention and I don't think UEFA would let the winners into the Champions League. It would be doomed to failure and I think involement in any such competition would only harm Celtic.