1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Oasis The Greatest Band Of The Past 10-15 Years ?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by regicfc, Jul 11, 2006.

Discuss Are Oasis The Greatest Band Of The Past 10-15 Years ? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scotty Broon & Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thats just silly, simple minds are pish! lol I dont like U2 either, some good tunes but generally quite bland (sorry eammonhenrik :37: ) Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, * Pistols, The Clash, Campag Velocet, The Doors, Ride, Libertines, Eire Og, Sly & The Family Stone, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Mauro Piccoto....i take offence to people saying i have * music taste! :celt_2: :shamrock:

2. FU Media

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No U2 are. End of. :p

3. hammy1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Ive been to see them 6 times now and no one can touch them! Simply amazing!

4. kel1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Oasis are one of the best bands - i have great memories to there songs!

I do beloeve though that Noel could have done better without Liam. Like the time they argued and cancelled tours in America - (where they really wanted to crack.)

5. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No chance, Oasis without Liam would have been nowhere near as good. The guys voice was/is different class, fair do's he * up a couple of tours but his attitude was a big part of the excitement of the times, the fights wae Noel and the '* you' attitude. It was all part and parcel of what made Oasis an exciting band. Go on Kel, argue with me :50: You know im right :37:

6. Stephen

Oasis > All.

7. Szuwar

Fav Celtic Player:
    ex: Henke, Lubo, current: Boruc, McGeady, Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Surely no... there are many bands that made something you can call progress in the modern music. oasis is good but i expect more from the bands I call 'greatest'. I can't find Oasis music revolutionary or even innovative...
    For example here's a short list of band I'd call 'the greatest': Beatles, Budgie, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath etc

the greatest bands of the past 10-15 years for me:
    - Rage Against The Machine
    - Prodigy

why? because of something you can call "turning modern music into the way it looks like now"
    Without these two bands present music would never sound like it sounds...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
  8. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Oasis are not the best band of the last 15 years its between U2 and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

9. Szuwar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    it's not the number of sold albums that makes band the greatest.
    The greatest bands will be remembered because of their contribution in the music progress...

of course most people will remember these bands that they hear everyday in the radio... but these bands are nothing but a product to sell...

10. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    RHCP are the most over-rated band on the planet (i know what ur thinking, thats rich coming from an Oasis fan, lol). I really dont see the attraction at all, in fact i cant * stand them! Sorry if im coming across a bit offensive, its not meant, but i really do hate that band :47:

11. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The fact that they have influenced more people than anyone else and their fans have bought their music the most is beside the point? I dont think so

12. Szuwar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You don't understand me Dempsey... Without doubt U2 and Oasis are GREAT bands... yes they've influenced more people than anyone else etc. but i still can't find them greatest... they are great but there is one more higher level of the greatness in music...

- Beatles and Elvis - a rock'n'roll music era begins
    - Pink Floyd / Budgie - pop music becomes something more than a 'easy to listen' songs
    - Black Sabbath - metal music era begins
    - Bob Marley - reggae music becomes known all over the eworld
    - * Pistols - punk rock era

etc...

These band above are the greatest... they've made something more than influancing people. they were the beginnings of new music eras and new youth subcultures... you know I can imagine modern music without U2 and Oasis... but I can't imagine modern music without these bands I've written above... they've changed pop music history...

Tell me a good reason why I should put U2 or Oasis into that list and I'll change my mind...
    the numbers of fans/sold albums is not a determinant because there are many bands that have numbers of fans around the world and have sold many albums...

13. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think theres a fine line in this argument. I dont think if you sell a lot of albums necessarily means your a great artist, look at someone like the spice girls or robbie williams. But then again look at Pink Floyd, they've sold a lot of albums. I think the difference is whether you can do it over a period of time. The Floyd have been selling albums since Syd Barrett (R.I.P troubled poetic genius x) founded them in the 60's and are still selling albums to this day.

Also, there have been great bands and artists who have sold nowhere near the amount of records they should have done (Ride for example, most UNDER-rated band i know of).

So i think theres substance to both of your opinions (Dempsey and Szuwar) on this.

14. Chuck Norris

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They'll be jumpin' oot the windees whin we win!
    hahahahahaha jesus christ....i'm guessing you listen to virgin radio!?(christian o'connell show is good and thats it) i'm serious mate all the above bands have not done nothing decent for 10 years or so...squire you got some good taste in music same goes for Szuwar....as for dempsey you keep it looked to virgin and keep staying cutting edge!

15. Szuwar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I forgot about Jimi Hendrix. what was that great with him? anybody on this forum who plays a guitar surely knows.
    I've never played on guitar (i'm a drummer) but the fact is no one before Hendrix played on guitar like that. He has made the style of playing on guitar that every rock guitar player uses nowadays...

16. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No one before Hendrix played the guitar like him the same as no one will ever play the guitar like him ever again, he was a total one off. He receives the credit he deserves from people who know what theyre talking about.

Then you've got Reni (drummer from The Stone Roses), the equivalent of Hendrix only on the drums. And what credit does he get? I cant praise him enough, he was born to play the drums and its the biggest tragedy in music history that he just stopped playing - but thats just me. Apart from Roses fans you wont hear anyone speaking this highly of him.

Just goes to show that you dont have to be put on a pedestal to be a great artist.

17. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This debate is only about the past 15 years, not 45 years.

U2 have been very successful for the past 25 years always close to the top if not on top. The Chilli Peppers can boast a similiar achievement. Their worldwide appeal go miles further that Oasis

Virgin Radio? I dont live in the UK nor do I listen much to radio stations

18. Szuwar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's why I've mentioned Prodigy and Rage Against The Machine few posts ago... these two bands are near the achievements of these greatest bands ever and I think time will show that they deserve to be put in that 'the greatest list'

19. Rosco67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Agree with your Prodigy call, haven´t heard much of the other to comment though.

20. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Great band arent entirely defined by if they were the start of an era of not.

Many good bands have sold loads of albums and dominated for 3-5 years I have not mentioned any of these.

U2 have been creating their own music for over 25 years and their albums on top when released worldwide, especially in the last 15 years.