1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is everything really so bad?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by joshybabes, May 22, 2009.

Discuss Is everything really so bad? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    This season has been the biggest over reaction in history in terms of negativity towards both Celtic and Scottish football as a whole.

For starters lets just look at the SPL.

Last year both the old firm did well in Europe as well as Aberdeen and the National team were going great guns.

Fast fprward to this year, the huns get caught short and suddenly the entire SPL including Celtic is now * due to their shortcomings. They only got put out cause they bought a ttally new team and did not put pre season to good use and thought they could turn Kaunas over. Big Mistake.

Then we do shoddily against Aalborg but we were tremendously unlucky in both games, against Man Utd we were apparently "Humbled" but it took two non goals to get them ahead. Fair enough we were out played but we were Better than both Chelsea and Arsenal and most other european teams - does this mean we're gonna be beatn finalists next year? No. But it doesn' mean we're suddenly Europes biggest liberties who are gonna get thumped by Anderlecht every year Come on.

Then actually in the SPL. So Dundee Utd have one of the best managers in Britain when given time, and Lazlo has worked wonders at Hearts, as well as the consistently good Aberdeen who always are there or there abouts under Calderwood. But as soon as they actually start to do well and mount some sort of challenge the old firm need to be in disarray as were crumbling without finance and need to go cap in hand to the premiership? Get a grip these teams have been improving consistently and though we may have stagnated slightly our team is not disgraceful by any means, a point i will prove later. We've been crying out for 10 years for a more competitive SPL we now have one and we're away greetin to Dermott Desmond. Well boo hoo ddeal with it it'll be good in the long run.

So now actaully on o the celtic team. What are we lacking from this apparently great team which Martin O'neill built? Larsson? A one off striker who it was always gonna be nigh impossible to replace, but Sutton and Hartson wouldn't score his goals anyway. And what about Sutton and Hartson? Who is their level today, Santa Cruz at Blackburn, Cisse or Jones at Sunderland arguably. Allardice is looking for 30 million for Santa Cruz when the bought him for 4, so maybe we can replace Sutton or Hartson and make meg bucks for it later, we'll just have to wait and see. Moavcik I feel we will never replace, Naka is close but both Lubo's feet were comparable to Naka's left.

What do we actually have though? One of the best keepers ever seen in Scotland and probably top 5 in the world - regardless of this seasons antics, he is still better than Cech, Van der Sar, Freidel - the best keeper in the prem etc.

Scott Brown - a payer with huge potential who has really stepped up to the plate this year and will continue to do so if he remains here.

Crosas - another great prospect has faded slightly recently but thats gonna happen when he tries to adjust t not getting the same space as he once had.

Hinkel - This guy is really coming on to a game, a German international and one of the top right backs in Britain, yes he is better than Hutton for any lurking huns looking to argue with me.

Caldwell - I won't even go into the season this guy has had, he's basically looking like a defender of the highest order andcan't wait till next season when he should be provided with a regular and improved partner whoever that may be.

Skippy - Has a questionable attitude, but his talents are there to be seen. If he brushed upo slightly on his pace and greed he could be a Striker at the top level seriously.

McGeady - Great talent but again questionable attitude. Has suffered without Burns at the club as many have this season - I think Tommy's influence on the team is maybe why we are no longer top of the league, we miss that buffer between strachan and the players.

Samaras -His early season form was sensational. Lets stop focussing on his bad control and look to his strengths. He has pace, he can head the ball, he's gonna improve. Give the guy a break as well cause it's clear he loves the club and wants to please the fans, maybe if he takes Caldwells example we'll be talking of a Major plyer in years to come.

And there are others but i feel you won't read all of this, if you want i can finih this later but Naka and the numerous hot prospects we have are also included.

As well I'll include the fact that we arte in a financially good enough position to reject the bids for our best players which cannot be said of Rangers, but the fact prem teams are even after huns players who barely get a game hows that the SPL is not as bad as its getting made out to be

Hail Hail - Lets get a positive vibe going for 4 in a row and onwards

2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I agree :50:

3. DanniGhirl

Spread some positivity Joshy Babes :50:

4. Claire

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Brooon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Nice to see a positive take on things for once. I wouldn't exactly agree with everything you said but I do believe that some people are making a bigger deal out of this situation than it is. We have been through much worse in the past, sometimes I wonder if it is down to fans developing an almost spolit attitude after 3 successive league titles, they just sort of assume everything is coming our way.

5. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    I agree with the sentiment completely. :50:

BUT I fear that a lifetime of crushing football disappointments awaits you Josh. :bbpd:

6. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    Haha yeah I already know it

Thought that the league was something Rangers got every year when i was wee - until 97/98 that was

7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

Now you're talking with an old heid doc :56::56:

8. Nimrod.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    For us it's all about winning leagues If we dont win it on Sunday it will be a dissaster.

9. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    Theres no fight or desire in our team and it was highlighted in our last 2 games. They are average players with the exception of Naka and McGeady imo. They are the ones who are spoiled. They are the ones who win, lose or draw still get mighty rich at our expense.

Fact is it's not an over reaction. People are just fed up watching pish football by our over rated players.

10. Bucksbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Majority of MON's Team
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Let The People Sing, Grand Old Team To Play For...
    If there were such thing as post of the year that would be it.

people seem to forget that the club as gone though much worse to the brink of Bankrupcy.

Since the SPL Brake away in '98 to Form The Scottish Premier League Celtic Have won 6 titles to Rangers 4. Lets Keep Positive and look forward to another Season Supporting Our Club Though Thick & Thin, Regardless of Sundays Outcome! :50:

11. danielno8

its a pain the * dude but your fighting a losing battle, alot of the people just seem to love to greet about something, and this will never subside.

12. boruc's ball

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, o'dea
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    i agree with the original post when you say there has been a major over reaction to the declining standards of scottish football, when last year the teams did so well.

however, i think ur comments on the current squad are coming from lookin through the green tinted specs, jvoh r sami dont hav a patch on sutton r hartson. put it this way, if u were to pick a team from the 00's how many of the current team wud get in?

in my mind boruc would be the only certainty with possibly mcgeady/naka in with a shot!

13. Benedicto

It's not about "greeting" about anything - losing the league to Rangers is always bad. Gift wrapping it for them and sending it to them with a card with £10m in it is a disaster (should it happen).

We all remember the bad old 90's and it should remind us how complacency got us there in the first place. Not strengthening from a strong position after winning the league in 88 and making a complete fool of ourselves over Maurice Johnston the year after. Would the Huns have dominated if we signed Johnston? We'll never know. One thing I do know is that when they signed the * - it kicked us right in the stones and we never recovered for another 9 years. We kept on saying - "They'll never do 9".

It's all hypothetical - we'll never know. Just as we'll never know how close the league would've been this season if we signed players in January. The point is - we gambled now and tried to do it all on the cheap (sorry Willo) just like back then.

All I know is this - if the Huns win this season, as well as taking the bragging rights, as well as stopping 4 in a row - we have just handed them £10m to the CL next season whilst making it very difficult for ourselves. (if that isn't bad - i'm missing something). It would be like giving a dying monster on its last breath an oxygen mask and another chance to survive - the only problem is - if it does survive, it wants to destroy us and do you think it would be so generous? Can anyone remember how Murray really tried to destroy us? I never want to go back there.

I've no problem losing to the Huns if, for example, in the 90's we simply couldn't match them for spending. But for the last two seasons they've been at death's door financially, we have raked it in and we've still allowed them to come back at us.

Complacency and failure to bury the Huns good and proper is a Celtic trademark. If we allow them to win the league this season - i'd say it's worse than bad.

14. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    I wasn't comparing those two to Hartson or Sutton, what i was saying was that in England they are looking for 25-30 million now just 6 years later for the same player, but in europe - Germany/ Spain/ Italy its possible to get these guys for anything up to 4/5 million so we just have to look, its basically just wages keeping us out. JVOH has aspects of a quality player, he's 2/3 of a quality player- for instance his hold up play can be good, his finshing good, he is a leader up front and seems to be able to organise the attack very well which sometimes people do not notice - just remember how lost Skippy and Sami are together. On the other hand he is sooooooooo slow and constantly injured which we just can't put up with in this climate, Strachans constant confidence in him has relegated Samaras to the bench everytime Sami dos not play a blinder, meaning that the fans get a warped view of the Greek and complain that VOH is * (which is true). Sami's movement is op drawer and we know what he is capable of given the confidence

In terms of comparing the two teams as well, they were both two totally different systems so it's hard for some players to get into O'Neills system

For instance Hinkel is better than loads of players Martin played but wouldn't get in ahead of Agathe just because of the slight difference of position. In terms oof squad though i'd say - Boruc, Caldwell, Hinkel, Nakamura, McGeady, Brown, Samaras, McDonald, Maloney with the possibilty of Robson and promising youngsters would definitely get in. But obviously i'm not saying they are better than Larsson, Sutton, Mjallby etc

Another point i meant to make is that Bobo Balde cannot even feature for our reerves, yet teams in and entering the Premiership are looking at him - and he's 33.

15. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    Yeah but mate thjis has nothing to do with the league title fight, i'm talking about the SPL and views on the current squad if you get me?

16. Ryan 67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Broony, Skippy, Heid, Lennon, Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS, Celtic Symphony and Sean South

The squad is full of mediocrity tbh, which has been proven this season.

17. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    When did you start thinking that?

When it was in the papers?

This aint a personal attack or anything i'm just saying this is the attitude i'm tackling here

18. 1eclipse

The post is a good honest one, although I dont agree with its entire content. Its my belief that 'We' , 'Celtic' are victims of our own success. Our achievements over the last 8 years or so have been great considering what went on in the previous decade.

We have dragged ourselves from without question being second best in scotland to being top dogs. We have over achieved in the champions league for the money we have available and we have dominated the league for 3 seasons in a row. What more could you want?

Unfortunately perspective and reality has to be considered - we cant win the league and do well in europe every year (FACT). I hate to say it but remember when Rangers were playing in the champions league whenever only the winners got in and we could only watch on with envy? Those days are well gone and we should be thankfull for that.

I just think sometimes we get a bit above our station in terms of the champions league in particular and think we are better than we actually are. If we dont win this title we will still be favourites next season and will continue to get stronger as we are still the spl benchmark.

Rangers standard of play this season at times has been shocking, yet here we are 2 points behind them? Whats that tell you? Im raging about blowing the lead we had but its happened and we'll get over it.

Im just glad that the club as a whole has been transformed into a thriving well respected club throughout the world and am proud to be part of this famous institution.

19. joshybabes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Marc Crosas
    I agree with most of what you're saying kind of

But we haven't really over achieved in europe tbh, under MON we actually were one of Europes top teams, we should have won the CL in 2004 instead of Porto - sake we should have won the Uefa Cup instead of them but thats another thread

We need to stop overestimating ourselves in the SPL and stop Underestimating ourselves ine Europe. The away hoodoo will eventually be broken but look when we nearly break it - Man Utd at OT, Juventus in Turin, Villareal, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Benfica - the second time - we are not that far behind these teams

But look when we do badly away from home - Aalborg, Anderlecht, Shaktar etc when we underestimate teams - the exact same as in the SPL when we think we're gonna steamroller teams all the time

20. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    here's my post of the year vote