1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Baby girl left an orphan because of dogs!!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by timthebhoy1, May 11, 2009.

Discuss Baby girl left an orphan because of dogs!! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How sad is this story. I cant for the life of me understand why a person would risk their lives for an animal. It doesnt make sense. Especially for a mother to do it and leave her baby on a walkway.

If dogs cant get out of fast flowing water, then there is no chance a recent mothers going to do it unless she is a swimmer. Heart goes out to the kid. How will the little person feel knowing their mum decided that the dogs were more important than her.

Baby girl left an orphan after couple's bid to rescue dogs from river ends in tragedy

2. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

I think that bit of your post is a lot of * mate.

3. Martin

Very sad indeed. But I agree with Bob's point above.

4. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

And yes a very sad story.
    These people did not know they were going to die before jumping in to try and save their dogs,most dog owners i know,myself included would try and save their pet.
    It is very easy for people to say what the op has said,but if it was my dog id have done the same,there is no way i could watch my dog drown in front of me and do noting about.

Anyway that isnt the point,a young kid has been left orphaned,which is very very sad.

5. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Clearly, this is a mother who has not EVER put the dog first, but has made a spur of the moment decision that has ended in complete tragedy. Father has tried to save mother, and was in fact renowned as a very strong swimmer (from other papers this morning). Quite simply a complete tragedy, but no parents would "choose" the dog over their child - instinct is just that, and there is nothing one can do to stop it.

Thoughts of course to the family who have lost so much - a truly horrible story. I hope that there is a loving family (on both sides of the parents) for this poor little girl.....

6. green_t

Fav Celtic Player:
    Present - Boruc, Brown, McGeady : All Time - Larsson, McStay, Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Very sad, but i dont think the parents thought the dog was more important, it's not as if the child fell in also and the mother saved the animal instead.

It's just one of those tragic accidents, I would probably do the same for my cat if he fell in the river, if you're a strong swimmer you dont think you're going to die, do you?

Very sad all the same.

7. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I don't understand this either, i know it was spur of the moment but i would think of the consequences to my family first.

I guess it might depend on how much of an animal lover you are.

8. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

When it is a spur of the moment decision,you dont tend to think about the consequences actions unfortuantly.

9. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    should never have jumped in that water leaving the kid im sorry but thats my view i like animals but wouldn't even cross my mind

i feel really sorry for the little girl

10. DanniGhirl

Very sad story, but as has been stated above, it was a spur of the moment and totally understandable reaction to try and save the dog, heart goes out to that little girl.

11. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

The husband leapt in to try and save his wife who had got into trouble mate...i think we can all accept his reasons for that - watching a pet die would be bad enough, but watching the love of your life and mother of your child struggle in water - as a strong swimmer as has been mentioned before? I don't think any of us would let that happen.

Just a tragedy.

12. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    i totally understand that mate but would you let the love of your life jump in and risk her own life in the first place

anyway i just can't really get my head round it being a father myself maybe i just don't understand some peoples love for animals

13. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just been on the news, the husband, who was a strong swimmer, jumped in after the dog and got into trouble himself, then the wife jumped in after him, which you would think would be a natural reaction.

To say they put a dog before a child is ludicrous.

14. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

Fair one amigo - not a father myself, so i can't comment to that extent....just concentrating more on the horror of it, i suppose: none of us know exactly what will have happened, and the severity of the water etc etc...i did read that the river itself was FAR higher than normal as a result of recent weather...perhaps even this would have made a difference to people who underestimated the conditions themselves....

15. ARMALITE

If you never owned a dog\dogs you will never understand.
    They become a member of the family, and are treated as such.

16. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

17. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    i hope nobody thinks i was implying that they put the dog infront of there child i don't know all the facts about the story

and to be fair if the river was high then the surface probably looked calm compared to an underlying spate and the husband might not have knew it was so dangerous

18. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    This story seems to change by the hour.

19. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

I'm certainly not thinking that in the slightest mate, i thought you were just saying (at the start) that you would never have taken the risk in the first place being a father...i understood that completely. :50:

Oh, and bang on about the water by the way (mentioned at the bottom here):

Baby orphaned after parents try to rescue pet dogs from river

[​IMG]
    (Strathclyde Police/PA)

Laura Frey: she tried to rescue the dogs but struggled with the 8-knot undertow

A 10-month old girl was left an orphan today after her parents both drowned when they jumped into a fast-flowing river to rescue their pet dogs.
    It is understood that the two animals got into difficulty between two weirs and Laura Frey, 30, jumped in to try and rescue them.
    She too began to struggle and her partner, Darren Greenan, left their daughter, Ellis, strapped into her buggy to try and help but lost his footing and fell in.
    After the alarm was raised at about 2pm on Sunday, firefighters managed to haul Ms Frey from the River Garnock, at Kilwinning, Ayrshire. She was taken to Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock but later died.

The body of Mr Greenan, 33, was recovered from the river this morning by police. The couple’s child is understood to be being cared for by relatives.
    The coastguard agency said there had been an 8-knot undertow at the point where the drownings happened.
    “Nobody could fight against that,” a spokesman said.
    The couple were from the Blacklands area of Kilwinning.
    Earlier, before Mr Greenan’s body was recovered, his cousin, Laurie Miller, 28, said: “We’re all distraught. Darren could swim like a fish but there are some bad currents at the bit where he fell in.”
    The banks of the river are relatively easy terrain, popular with walkers.
    A coastguard spokeswoman confirmed the bodies of two dogs, understood to be a Jack Russell and a collie, had also been found.
    She added: “The river is in spate. There’s a huge flow of water coming downstream.”

Overall, it seems to be the case of a tragic loss of footing, and terrible water conditions.:54:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  20. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Poor wee girl, * Bless her :shamrock: R.I.P to the parents