1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liam Neeson's Storm In A Tea Cup?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, Feb 6, 2019.

Discuss Liam Neeson's Storm In A Tea Cup? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's usually Americans that say people can't be racist towards whites because alot of them think history begins and ends with american history.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
  3. clonbhoy

I still can't believe someone was bullied by Quasimodo! Poor lad!

packybhoy likes this.
  4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    People still can’t believe the real Quasimodo shagged Ismerelda.

5. FannyHaddock

6. M 67

Okay so they’re justifiably racist so it’s no as bad :giggle1: gees peace.

7. clonbhoy

That's what you got from that? It is about empathy and understanding. You just continue on with your Stevie Lennon colouring books.

8. M 67

:giggle1::giggle1::giggle1:

How’s life way up there in your high tower?

9. Murph-E

He never said that at any point. It's a myth.

10. clonbhoy

That's what you got from that? It is about empathy and understanding. You just continue on with your
    That's your response? Wow, you really showed me!

11. M 67

Didn’t realise it was a competition :43:

12. clonbhoy

No, it was supposed to be a discussion or a debate, call it what you will .You see, these things here are called message boards or forums, and when one person makes a point, in this case you, it is there to be agreed or disagreed with by other members. I disagreed with it, pointed out the stupidity of it, and then made a point of my own, which have then been ignored by you in your further replies. Which is fine, but if you do not have the capacity for further debate, don't throw up ridiculous statements whose origins you are unsure of.

13. M 67

Your point was that ridiculous I didn’t feel the need - you pretty much tried to justify racism , but only one particular strand of racism.

Going back to the start: I was commenting on an Asian reporter being retained after being caught making racist remarks when their white colleague was sacked. The reference I made to another post I’ll find when I’m home and will share - and it will take literally 10 seconds on google to find other sources who argue the same bollocks.

14. clonbhoy

I didn't justify racism in any way, shape or form, If that is what you have taken from it, then it is your own inability to comprehend the post.

I have no idea what tangent you have gone off on at the end there about Asian reporters.It is nonsensical and has absolutely nothing to do with what I pulled you up on. I pulled you up on posting a dangerous, throwaway line that you yourself said you didn't know where it had come from. This sort of stupidity is incredibly dangerous, even on a fairly frivolous platform such as this, when dealing with race relations.

15. M 67

My initial post in this thread (which you quoted) was in response to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45052534

How is it nonsensical? It was where this whole "debate" came from.

I understand you may have not read the link (perhaps you should have?), but you proceeded to get your knickers in a twist about this: "Infact, I’m sure I read something online (or here) about some fucknugget claiming non-whites can’t be racist. Heard it all now!"

Please explain to me how this is "dangerous", you know, since I'm not very good at comprehending things? It is a fact that non-whites can be racist - why on earth do you find this so alien? What is so factually incorrect about what I'm saying? Because I couldn't be arsed copying and pasting external links on a mobile phone? Well, simply google the statement "non-whites can't be racist" and fill your boots. I struggle to see how you can't quite fathom that certain people have that opinion :43: Is it really that much of a stretch to believe? Or perhaps it's actually you who doesn't have the ability to comprehend other posts?

Now, let's look at what you said when you went off on a tangent about black people:
    "What I will say is this; it is much harder for a white man to be offended by a racist remark from a black man than the other way around. One will come with a weight of history that the other hasn't got. There is no comparison at all. Of course black people can be racist, there is a history of racism, based on skin colour, in sub-Saharan Africa, but if they are racist towards white people it comes as a result of anger, an anger that comes from centuries of mistreatment by whites."

Firstly, I'm just glad you are here to speak on behalf of white people - thanks very much.

Secondly, how can there be no comparison? Being discriminated against because of your skin colour, regardless of what colour it is, is wrong - you don't get more or less points whether you are black or white. This is where you're nonsense gets dangerous by trying to have one rule for some, and one rule for others.

And finally, which is the more dangerous - me finding it bizarre that some people believe that non-whites cannot be racist....or your ridiculous last sentence? It's the kind of bullshit excuse racists would use to try and justify a hate crime.

Edit - I found the thread/ comment that I mentioned in my initial post (took me longer as it wasn't in the Pub or Politics section): http://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/azealia-banks-racist.149732

Didn't realise you also tried to make your argument in that thread too :87:

FYI, I'm not calling @Darnok the fucknugget here - that was aimed at the "some" :giggle1:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  16. clonbhoy

I have read the link, it has no bearing or relevance to your comment being dangerous and stupid. There is no context where it isn't. It is a flippant, throwaway remark that puts fuel on fires unnecessarily. It is dangerous because, as you yourself keep stating, everybody can be prejudiced, but it is even more dangerous because it is hearsay, without proof, and what they would call in Belfast 'whataboutery'. Stupid remarks lead to stupid reactions. I don't know how clearly I can spell this out for you, but saying that somebody, somewhere may have said something stupid once is every bit as stupid, if not more, than the original stupid statement. Especially when it is unnecessary. Either find it and quote it and say what is wrong with it, or ignore it, because it reflects on you, not the mystery originator of the comment.

The reason I have questioned your comprehension skills, and will do again here, is because I have clearly stated black people can be racist, so how that idea is alien to me is baffling. I can't make it any clearer. It is actually in the part of my post you quoted in black and white; if you pardon the pun.

I am not here to speak on behalf of anybody, what I have said is fact and not opinion. The fact people don't want to accept or understand this is why racism, from all peoples, exists. For example, speaking as an Irish male, being called a 'Paddy', 'Mick' or plain old 'Irish *' will carry a lot more weight in an English accent than a Swedish. If I was walking through the projects of Detroit and a few black locals called me 'honky' or the like, I wouldn't be too perturbed, as long as I didn't feel threatened. However, were I to return the compliment, or insult, as it were, it would carry a lot more weight. This is broadly accepted by most sociologists, philosophers and people with an interest in race-relations that leans towards improving them.

It isn't 'one rule for one' or anything of the like. I feel it should be obvious, but apparently not, that all racial prejudice is wrong. The fact this needs to be stated is, again, baffling.
    I do feel this next part is important and is being ignored by you: racism is a societal issue. Race is not scientific, despite notions to the contrary, there is only one human race. Our single race is independent of geographic origin, ethnicity, culture, colour of skin or shape of eyes — we all share a single phenotype, the same or similar observable anatomical features and behaviour. Genetically speaking, there are bigger differences within a 'race' than between races. Biologically, we are also the same. The fact we all suffer and die, (with only minor fluctuations in rates, nearly all of which are societal themselves) from the same illnesses, diseases and pandemic, confirms this.
    Young children, devoid of any social context, do not racially profile in the way that we do. They merely see the colour, without prejudice. In short, all racism comes from colonialism, history and man. The reason people believe blacks are inferior is because they didn't colonise or ever impose their superiority on other populations.
    Therefore, racial prejudice means very little without power. So, to put it bluntly, there are definitely more or less points, depending on your background. To dismiss this isn't just dangerous but is racist and helping to prolong the need for debates such as these.
    The closest analogy I can think of is classism. As a working class Irish male living in England, I can be prejudiced against the '7%' who go to public schools and still seem to have all the power in this country, but that prejudice can never be as forceful as that in reverse, because they have the power and the privilege to make it systematic. And racism, by its very definition, is systematic:
    A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to others.

The last sentence isn't ridiculous, nor should ever be used as an excuse for anything. It is simply a reality, one that has to be accepted if this conversation is ever to be had in a mature way, and not just by me and you, but across the world. I don't want to go all Michael Jackson here, but if we want to make the world a better place, this is vital.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. M 67

I did find it, and I did post it. But hey ho just disregard it.

I’ve said that racism is wrong regardless who it comes from (and you can’t say one form is worse than the other) and you’re now calling that racist :giggle1: think you need to stop trying so hard.

18. clonbhoy

I must have missed it then. All I can see is a link to the article about a racist 'whataboutery' article about an Asian reporter and quotations from me. I can't see where you have backed up the comment I pulled you up on at all, other then to dig a bigger hole.

The rest just proves you're a lost cause. You simply think racism and racial prejudice are the same thing and that it is simply about skin colour. Everything is black and white with you. The irony.

19. M 67

Jesus wept, a lost cause. Heard it all now.

Again, just ignore the link I posted - it was from the Azealia Banks thread FYI. Darnok said "According to some, black people, and any other minority actually, cannot be racist because for one to be racist, one needs to have societal and institutional power to enforce their racist ideas." - that is where my comment came from, because I think it's nonsense. I didn't see you grilling Darnok? Did someone * in your coffee this morning, or did you not get your hole?

Quick, someone in the hun forum said Allan McGregor should get his * kicked in - go give them a good talking to :eek:

My argument is, quite simply (a) racism is bad and (b) people shouldn't be dicks. I await the next installment of your lecture as to how I'm wrong or it's not as simple as that because of some pretentious reason.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Brilliant sketch.. :56:

FannyHaddock likes this.