1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of transfer movement!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Martybhoy87, Jul 19, 2018.

Discuss Lack of transfer movement! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Martybhoy87

Looking for everyone's opinions on our lack of transfers, it seems we are in the same position every year and i personally find it infuriating.

In my opinion we are weaker as a team going into the Rosenberg game as we were last season, this with the added fact Lustig and Boyata are still missing from WC action (not adding in Crommper as i think he was a waste of £1M and Siminovic is a bombscare at the best of times) we always seem to be in the same * position that we need a quality defender or two and it never comes to fruition.

we are thin in the RB and LB positions (Cover for Tierney and replacement for Lustig as he is slowing down)

We have lost Roberts and Musonda and Sinclair has all but lost his passion to play for us as he looks scared to take players on and when he does he doesn't have the same impact as his first season, Mikey Johnson looks to be a talent but i think he still has a way to go to have a major impact in Europe and that added with if he is given the chance this year.

If we get Mcginn i think that he would be a replacement for Armstrong and think we have a decent midfield and if we can keep a hold of Moussa we will be set up top.

I understand that Brendan is looking for quality over quantity but in my opinion we need some movement as i said before we are a much weaker team than this time last year.

Looking for what everyone expects and their opinion on what seems to be the usual stale transfer market.

RB (pacey, attack minded to balance the left side)
    CB (decent pedigree) (x2 if possible although i like the look of Ajer)
    LB (for cover)
    RW (Comp for Forrest)
    LW (Sinclair doesn't do it for me anymore)
    (GK) (optional could be visited next season)

bhoy81 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even in a window where we smash our transfer record, we get threads like this. :giggle1:

FranceCelt, Peej, JML67 and 6 others like this.
  3. Martybhoy87

so you would be happy if we don't sign another player..........OK then!

trip2themoon likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think Morgan and Johnston should be given a chance to deputise for Forrest.. and Sinclair isn’t a starter either..

The rest I agree with..

It is early and we’ve bought Edouard and secured Rogic which is massive, not even August yet so need to be patient..

Musonda and the hype around him, masked a poor Jan window.. It’s clear where we need to strengthen..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think we'll fail to sign another player and I didn't say how I'd feel about it one way or the other. I really think our support should be used to the way we do business now; all transfer activity is done as discretely as possible which is essential in the area of the market we operate in. I have no doubt that the club are constantly pursuing potential targets.

At my last count, we've already signed four new players.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

I'm quite relaxed about the whole thing. We should have enough to get through the two legs vs Rosenberg at the very least then Lustig and Boyata will be back soon after that which will strengthen our defensive options.

I'm sure we'll bring in a couple of players soon enough.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Remember this is the first year the big money boys down south window closes early. No more championship clubs pouching players off us. Just wait. It'll be great.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    We are "much" weaker because we lost Roberts, who was injured for the vast majority of the season, and Musonda who played, what, 2 games? There was a podcast posted on here a couple of months ago of an interview with Peter Lawwell and he explained why it takes so long to get quality players in. I think we will look at doing the bulk of our trasfers after the English window closes.

9. Murph-E

Edouard and Bain were in the squad last season, though, just made loans permanent there. Even Morgan was signed last season and loaned back out.

Who's fourth btw?

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If we bring a top draw CB in and a new RB as well as getting rid of a couple id be very happy tbf, no point buying players for sake of it. Would much prefer us to be doing it quicker but as long as it gets done then all is well.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That defence not being strengthened for the qualifiers is a little concerning for me, I still think we will sign a few but the targets will vary depending on what European competition we are in.

12. Murph-E

Wonder if Rivaldo Coetzee's doing any better these days.

Bertie Cauld likes this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Think we will do business eventually but we always seem to go into the qualifiers a bit short. Just please buy no more bang average squad fillers

McManus4 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  14. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally disagree about us being weaker, we have a very young team who are going to improve every year as they learn and develop..just keeping the main guys in the squad together would be a coup. Would love to see us add some quality at RB and CB and I'm sure there will be additions to the squad still to come, we're still 6 weeks or so away from the end of the transfer window. Untwist your knickers and wait and see what happens.

15. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

That's great and all that.. but we need a centre half, a wing back and could do with a winger. We could of signed Cavani for 5 times our record and it wouldn't mask the fact we need strengthened in other areas.

We are all delighted with the Edouard signing, but, in Brendans own words, we need "More quality over quantity". He harps on about how important the Jan window is for the season afters UCL quals and we are now going into a big UCL tie without a new centre half, a matter which is compounded with Jozo's red card and Boyata's leave.

More activity and quality additions would of been nice, it's hard to argue with the OP in that sense.

The IRA likes this.
  16. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Retired

Murph-E likes this.
  17. Priest

All our targets were playing at the World Cup and we are just waiting on them getting back from their holidays before making moves.

jake10 likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Okoflex

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’m certain the club are aware we need to strengthen and our activity so far suggests that we are backing Rodgers as much as we are able.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd like a few more players in but it's not worth throwing the toys out the pram just yet.

RB is the big priority but with the World Cup on and some teams have not started pre-season yet so won't be making any calls on who they let go, I don't think it's quite at the panic stations stage.

To suggest we are "a much weaker team than this time last year" is nonsense.

I've never seen our squad return from their time off as sharp, lean and hungry as we have this season.

Rodgers has already said he needs improvements, signings will come, Keep The Faith