1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our passing was awful in that game

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Sep 18, 2014.

Discuss Our passing was awful in that game in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Looking at the stats.

Only Johansen had good passing stats 86% completion and 3/3 long passes. Next best were McGregor and Scepovic with 76% completion, rest were awful even defenders * wi passing accuracy in the 50%'s an 60%'s :56:

Both us and Salzburg had the worst passing success out all the teams who played at 6pm :56: us the worst, only 60.6% accurate.

We did have the 2nd most interceptions though and were joint best in the air(with Salzburg) both of us won 34 headers :56: shows how much the ball was in the air, probably why both our passing were *.

2. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

True mate couldn't pass wind

What annoys me is the easiest pass or the simple pass ,we * it up also ball control,
    And even tripping or leaving a ball behind

This is basics lots of work to do

3. KevvyBhoy

The thing that * me off was the insistence on passing the ball short under pressure to a player who's also under pressure. I've noticed it a lot under Deila and while I don't mind a short passing game, sometimes playing it longer to both get it out of danger and move it into space is the best policy.

There was one moment in the second half where a defender passed it to a player who was surrounded by about 4 opponents right on the edge of our box; could've easily cost us a goal. Row Z was all that was needed here as there was nowhere to go.

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Our passing accuract in the CL last season was 79% and it was 76% the season before, to show how terrible 60.6% is, its basically unheard of it's that bad.

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's mainly because they stepped their pressing game up quite a bit after we scored early doors and we started to panic big time as usual and resorted to lumping it about like a hoat tattie.

6. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    it was * *

7. murphy88

The way the park played, it looked like it was getting played on astro turf. It seemed very fiery. Both teams struggled to get the ball down, but they did it better than us. We seem very uneasy when we have the ball in Europa in my opinion. When teams press us, we don't have enough ball players in my opinion, to settle us down and string a few passes together. Van Dijk is probably the best of the lot, but he is a centre half. This isn't new though, we had the same problem when Lennon was in charge.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Our defence and midfield play too close together and midfield and front 4 play too far apart.

Meaning teams can cut us open with 1 pass through the middle and our full-backs are constantly exposed.

Deila imo needs to change the system before somecunt leathers us just by playing simple average football(like Legia already done)

9. StevieBhoy93

the team are not used to playing against teams that press the ball so much. i think it took them by surprise if im honest

10. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Moan, Moan, Moan that's all we've had after a fantastic draw away in Europe :38:

11. KevvyBhoy

I also think we badly miss Wanyama and haven't bothered making a serious effort to replace him.

He was probably most known for being a beast in terms of protecting the defence and popping up with the odd goal from set pieces but he was also exceptionally good at receiving and shielding the ball under pressure and just creating a yard in order to move the ball on and in the process gave other players time to adjust themselves into position a few yards further up the pitch. The guys we've got at the moment playing in the middle have a tendency to lose possession too quickly and IMO lack a serious presence.

12. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Don't think anybody's moaning just highlighting the fact we have so much work to be done at Lennox town

13. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We've had a thread on poor passing, people saying we lost concentration when in reality we conceded to a wicked deflection and a world class free kick and people calling Ronny's subs at least Ronny freshens it up early and doesn't wait till the 80th minute like Lenny

14. Sentinel

Sorry, can't be arsed reading any previous posts which might try and explain away our vast ineptitude when it comes to the most basic of concepts in the simple game of football.

Bottom line is not that the big hoose must stay open, but that we are * pish.

That these jokers can command 5 figure sums per week is one of the great mysteries of our time.

15. joemc

Great point made , and I totally agree , a strong calm centre mid could change pressure against into a great attack .

16. ulsterscot

Kevvybhoy Celtic have been playing with reasonable to good success for 126 years . Despite having a big Victor type player for only two seasons , it seems that some people thinks that although we have managed 124 years successfully without big Victor we cannot manage to do without one like him . I think a good defensive midfielder but not necessary like Victor will do us .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I think people forget these players week in week out get next to no pressure put on them when playing. Thats why as this competition goes on we will get better, and be more used to it. Personally we should be doing bounce games of 11 vs 22. 2 on each man all the time and let them try to pass the ball out of defence etc.

18. Roy's Keane

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Looking at it in an isolated game doesn't tel the whole story though. I can't recall EVER seeing a team press us as wildly as that, and I include games in recent times vs Barcelona.

In fact was it Pep who said he's never seen such a hugh tempo team in all his life.

Let's not forget these guys humbled Ajax who, lets face it, made Celtic look rank rotten over there.

I'm not saying our passing was good or even acceptable but berating the team for not having amazing passing stats in this game is a wee bit disingenuous imo. :shamrock:

19. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Let's be honest, our passing was * and anyone who says the opposite are full of it. We need to get it sorted ASAP, we also need to stop giving away stupid free-kicks.

20. Pearse67*

we were lucky to get a draw, but still 2 goals away from home and a point on the board im happy, imo mcgregor needs a rest, we badly need our rbs back and izzy needs competition, not the end of the world lads