1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    If there's any truth in the rumours I would rather lose Rogic than the likes of McGregor, Christie or Forrest, we'd get good money too and could get a player in who'll play and score more than Rogic with the money, hopefully someone like Petrov.

2. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Well said mate, can't believe what I've been reading these pages.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  3. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I love the guy. When he's 100% fit he is our best player. The period where we were battering teams it was Rogics work in and around the box that was creating all the chances.

Having said that - he is prone to injury and seems to take a long time getting up to full fitness on his return. £15m is a lot of money.

It's a tough choice if offered.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

This is exactly the mindset we need to break away from. As if scoring a few goals against the likes of West Brom, Swansea etc. gives you more credence than International Caps, World Cup appearances, Champions League appearances & goals, League and Cup wins. It's nonsense.

Charlie Adam scored 13 goals in the Premiership; did that make him a good player and worth £7 million in 2011? Naw, he was still distinctly average (and that's being generous)

Teemu Pukki is the Championship's top scorer this season, Daryl Murphy has been it in the past, Martyn Waghorn was scoring goals down there and went for £6 million, Joey Barton was in the Championship team of the year and was then getting the * ripped out of him by 18 year old Hamilton players.

Playing well for a season in the Championship/Premiership is not the barometer for a player's value. We need to stop believing that myth.

The IRA, Big els, Lilac Wine and 11 others like this.
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    But it is what makes the value of a player whether you like it or not. I hate that fact but just the way it is. If we start asking for 20m for players we will just be told to * off (bar a few players like KT). Players will get * and walk when their contracts run out.

6. celtic warrior

We were once able to receive a £9mill offer for Boyata ffs!.

Fair enough we turned it down but he's hardly done anything in his entire career, he started off bright as 16 year old making his debut for Man City, but fell away quick.

If we can get offers like that for players of the Boyata quality, £12mill for Rogic is absolute bare minimum. Armstrong went for £7mill with barely a contract left to his name here as well.

Rogic is worth more.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of all the players we could sell, Rogic is the one I’d want to sell the least.

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Most of the aforementioned were not good enough for the SPL. Had to go south to get a game.

StPauli1916 and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The odd deal may break down but in the long-run we'll be the winners. They'll know that we won't be punting players on the cheap.

Teams still need players, we have a decent history of producing them.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Exceptional post

Lilac Wine and Seán Mac D like this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Well taking into account the amount of games he plays, goals he scores, time spent injured, everything. In the last few seasons 12,23 and 22 appearences. 3 goals this season, 5 last, 7 the season before.
    Tell me how he is worth more than £10? If we got £10m, would i be confident we could get a player of equal or better ability? Yes i do, who over the course of a season may be able to offer more.

The english market is driven by the tv rights they receive and the current BT deal. We dont have the power to “address” that. If BT goes under then that bubble will burst. Similar to what happened with setanta and our game. Its unfair but it is what it is.

Would you then argue that a striker in sweden who has scored 25 league goals in their top league is worth the same as a striker in Italy who has performed to a similar level? Not a chance. Different markets, different levels.

You know I almost see your points and in an ideal world it would be as simple and as fair as how you think it should be, but it simply isnt the case. You are comparing two markets with a completely different set circumstances.

Rogic on his day is quality, i completley agree. But of late it isnt often enough.
    Snodgrass is playing at a higher level on a more regular basis. Is you asked west ham fans who is better, I wonder what they would say? You are thinking completley subjectively because you are a celtic fan.

We are going to lose Boyata for free because we never accepted that £10m ya dafty.
    It isnt as simplified as how you are trying to make out.

He is an attacking midfielder mate, he played that position at aberdeen where he impressed and made his name. his best qualities are going forward and pressing high. He might have deputised in a box to box role, but he is best played in an advanced role.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Zombiemedia he says. You value Rogic higher than any other player we have sold in our history? Zombiemedia he says.

13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He is worth what a team is willing to offer. We thought Boyata was worth more and now look where we are? Granted we have the advantage of Rogic having a lengthy contract remaining.

I agree with his ability. I think he has shown what he is capable of. He can be a talisman. But can we get that out of him often enough and for a sustained period?

Im a Rogic fan btw. If you look back at my previous posts iv backed him and praised him. But id bite the hand off Leicester if they wanted to pay £15m.

I simply dont think he has contributed enough this season, whether it be for one reason or another.

14. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Great post mate....

Seán Mac D likes this.
  15. johnnybhoy777

If Rodgers wants to spend 15 million on a player with known chronic knee problems that has spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch and also * off to play with Australia us idiots that pay his thousands a week in wages had to endure the performance at Ibrox then id bite his slithery little hand off for it

16. M 67

Ajax players going for €75m before they had this great run...why can’t we demand more money for our players? English clubs have stupid money and are used to paying over the odds. I think it’s the media and general Scottish mentality of playing ourselves down - if Rogic was at Ajax or an English club, he’d be worth £30m easily.

* losing guys for well under their value that are tied down here for years. Time to put the foot down!

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The day's of us getting knocked are now over..

Lilac Wine and Random Review like this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No, mate, we didn't think Boyata was worth more. We didn't sell Boyata because Brendan had decided he was off and stopped caring about investing for our future and Congerton's a useless fud, so we didn't have anywhere near enough defenders to let him go.

StPauli1916 and Lilac Wine like this.
  19. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    But Rogic will never play for Ajax so there goes that argument, he's proved himself in the SPFL and hasn't in Europe(yet to score a goal or register an assist in the Champions League or Europa League in the 20 games he has had here)- not sure that's too hard to understand for some? 15-17 million is a good deal for us, only problem with it is that money won't get reinvested back into the team.

Again if he wants to stay I would always have him at the club, but if you've ever been to aus you will know how much the premier league is glorified and almost every professional footballer over there dreams of playing in it. I'm pretty sure his girlfriend was Scottish which could help us, but going on his social media he seems to have deleted all the pictures of them together .

20. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

The voice of reason.

Will be coming along shortly.

StPauli1916 likes this.