1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniele De Rossi Leaves Roma

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Henrik 07, May 14, 2019.

Discuss Daniele De Rossi Leaves Roma in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AS Roma can confirm that Daniele De Rossi’s 18-year playing career with the club will come to an end at the conclusion of the current season.

De Rossi, a Rome native and graduate of the club’s academy system, has made 615 appearances and scored 63 goals to date for the Giallorossi in all competitions, putting him second on the club’s list of all-time leading appearance-makers.

He joined the club he supported as a teenager in 2000, going on to make his first-team debut in 2001 before quickly proving himself to be one of the greatest midfielders in the world.

A dominant presence in the heart of midfield for nearly two decades, De Rossi eventually inherited the club captaincy from another Giallorossi icon, Francesco Totti – the one player ahead of him in Roma’s list of appearance-makers – in 2017.

At club level De Rossi won the Coppa Italia twice, in 2007 and 2008, along with one Supercoppa in 2007.

De Rossi will not be retiring from professional football at the end of the current season. The 35-year-old plans to pursue a new adventure away from Rome.

“For 18 years, Daniele has been the beating heart of AS Roma’s team,” club president Jim Pallotta said.

“From his debut in 2001 to taking on the responsibility of the captain’s armband, he always represented the Roma fans on the pitch with pride as he established himself as one of the best midfielders in Europe.

“We will all shed tears when he pulls on the Giallorossi shirt for the last time against Parma but we respect his desire to prolong his playing career - even if, at almost 36, it will be away from Rome.

“On behalf of everyone at Roma, I’d like to thank Daniele for his incredible dedication to this club and ensure him that our doors will remain open for him to return to the club in a new role whenever he wants.”

As well as his record-breaking Roma exploits, De Rossi has also enjoyed a brilliant international career.

He remains the fourth-most capped player in Italy history, with 117 appearances, and represented the Azzurri at eight major international tournaments – famously lifting the World Cup, alongside Roma teammates Totti and Simone Perrotta, in 2006.

Nevertheless, the combative, inspiring midfielder will always remain synonymous with Roma, the club he hasunfailingly represented with both class and distinction throughout his playing career.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Love this

3. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Legend :notworthy :notworthy

Bring him home :84:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Interview from a few years back.

Roma star Daniele De Rossi hinted “New York could be my destination in future,” but he’s also fascinated by Glasgow, Oasis and Roy Keane.

The midfielder gave a lengthy interview with the official club website outlining his top three favourites in various areas of life.

For someone who has been heavily linked with a transfer to America and their Major League Soccer clubs, he dropped a pretty big hint.

“I might be banal, but New York is the most fascinating city in the world. Someone who lives in Rome struggles to find places more beautiful, but the different culture and the lifestyle of New York is like a magnet for me.

“New York could be my destination in future, somewhere I’d happily like to spend some time. Perhaps it fascinates me precisely because it is so different to Rome.”

De Rossi’s other two choices for favourite city were a little more unexpected.

“I put Glasgow in the top three as representatives of the Celtic culture, which I love. I saw it with the Nazionale, albeit for a brief spell. Between the stadium and the hotel I experienced only a few bits of the city, but it remained in my mind.

“These are places I’d really like to go back to so I can get deeper into them, as they deserve.

“I did visit Istanbul as a tourist and in four days I had all the time to wander round in my own way. It’s fascinating, in every sense. A different culture to ours, great architecture and so much history.”
    De Rossi’s love of British and Celtic culture goes deep, as his favourite music is by Oasis, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay and the Rolling Stones.

“I know all the Oasis songs off by heart, as I grew up listening to them. I liked them as people, they were not always conventional or easy to approach, but this was the stereotype they represented – rock stars off their heads – that I really liked.

“There was a lot of talk about me going to Manchester City a few years ago and I never wanted to leave Roma, but the thing that fascinated me about that situation was getting to meet the Gallagher brothers.”

De Rossi also picked Roy Keane and Eric Cantona, former Manchester United legends, as his favourite non-Roma players along with Roberto Baggio.

“Keane is my absolute hero. The 16 on my shirt is, along with the birthday of my daughter Gaia, dedicated to him.

“He is the only person in the world I asked for a photo with, two years ago. I was too embarrassed to ask Diego Maradona, but with Keane I couldn’t resist.”

https://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=http://www.football-italia.net/83926/de-rossi-i-love-new-york-and-keane#article/footballitalia-83926

BigWilly and freederry20 like this.
  5. Murph-E

Legend.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Legend. Would have been a dream to see him play for us when he was younger.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

clonbhoy likes this.
  9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    One of my favourite players.

Absolute legend.