1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

VAR Last 32 UEL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by MickeyyMack, Nov 9, 2019.

Discuss VAR Last 32 UEL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StevieBhoooy!

I find it’s just creating different controversies to the ones you’d have without it.

Pain in the * if you’re doing a bit of in-play betting as well.

If/ when it arrives in the spfl ... I’m certain they will put their ‘unique’ flavour into the experience.

I think it should be a bit like the tennis though. Managers get 3 ‘calls’ in a game and once used (or not) that’s it. Would stop absolutely everything being questioned and add a minor mental tactical angle to games.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    VAR improved decision making at the World Cup, therefore making the games fairer. It was always going to have teething issues but ultimately it’s the correct way for football to go.

paulie67 and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  3. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    They should do away with refs altogether. there's no reason why we can't train a robot to make an offside call in this day and age.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

How any Celtic fan can be against VAR is absolutely mind blowing.

Cadete at Ibrox, Hartson at Hampden, Amoroso against Juve, Maldini handball at San Siro in the last 16, and probably several other historically defining moments have come about as a result of incompetence or bias that would have been totally avoided with the use of technology.

As a previous poster quite rightly said, it’s not the fault of the technology if the referee looks at the replay and still can’t make the correct decision. It’s improved the CL ten fold for me.

paulie67, Yoshi and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  5. ynwa1987

Think its moving in the right direction tbh. The whole process needs streamlined and improved. Also maybe a change in the offside rule to give the attackers the benefit of the doubt.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Should have more than a percentage of the body offside for it to count. A baw hair sticking out the guys shorts should never count. If you cant tell its offside within 15 seconds, it's no. Simple. No need for 5 minutes to draw squint lines in order to rule out a goal that's clearly onside

ynwa1987 and Lilac Wine like this.
  7. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A cricket-style appeal system where the captain can challenge say 2 decisions per game. Reviews retained if decision overturned and lost if initial decision was correct.

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    To be fair all the * ups do seem to be in England it's as if they didn't train on it at all

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    That's the thing I think cheating has happened with this down south and in other games.... Some of the decisions don't make sense

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

10. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    You don't think we are one of the bigger teams ?

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  11. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Ultimately decisions made via var are still made by a match official. The majority of decisions made through var are either borderline or open to interpretation; is this guys fingertip offside? has the ball struck his arm in an unnatural position? Did the ball accidentally touching this guys arm in the build up to a goal lead to an unfair advantage? Was there enough contact to merit a penalty?

That is basically the crux of var. it's still going to be the same men that make horrific on field decisions looking at var. In this country those decisions will still be interpreted and borderlines drawn to suit themselves with no explanations necessary.

Domestically, var will just be another tool at the behest of one of the biggest shower of cheats in football and it will be used to drive their own filthy little agenda.

Var will benefit only one club in this country and how any celtic fan cant see that, for me anyway, is mindblowing. You even said it yourself, it's not the tech that's the issue its who's using it.

Mate, no offence but that's a bit of a mad statement to say the, widely regarded, most prestigious club competition in world football has been improved 10 fold because the decision making process has changed.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This, I would also add Meekings to that list.
    As for the argument that the same cheats will be using it, well if they continue to cheat then there will be a football wide recognised system they keep ignoring/overruling, so that will only highlight what they are doing more so and to a wider audience. Sure its had a few initial problems, implementation mainly but that'll settle down, but overall there is not one credible argument against VAR imo.

paulie67 and Callum McGregor like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I have my reservations about the agenda of the officials tasked with adjudicating on VAR in Scotland but I do think that overall it would be a benefit to Celtic.

It blows the "None of us seen it" :87: argument out of the water eg. the Meekings handball.

The technology isn't faultless and has brought up a few questionable decisions but it's still in it's infancy and will likely improve over time. I'm all for it.

paulie67 likes this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

bagforlife and Avatar Daizen like this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It should be used only to overturn 'clear and obvious' errors by the ref, and I also think that the teams get 3 challenges to any decision like in tennis.

The Liverpool game last night was a shambles, and the Sheff Utd goal that got ruled out against spurs was embarrassing for football. Yeah his toe was offside but he gains no advantage in the buildup as a result of that, should get the benefit of the doubt.

16. freitassen

Bar the marginal, toe offsides or the "hands in unnatural position penalties", what made referee errors infuriating was precisely the fact any idiot could see it.

The worst mistakes against us are a case of referee arrogance, incompetence or bias and if anything VAR in the scottish league would make it worse. Imagine how many RED CARD! RED CARD! moments we would see.

I was against it but couldnt foresee how bad it actually got in reality. I thought we just we would have some annoying long breaks in gameplay, not these continuing mistakes, illogical calls and pedantic penalties and offsides destroying the match.

People who say it is going to improve need to think how often does FIFA or UEFA admits a mistake and rolls back an obviously bad idea. An unproved technology shouldnt be tested in the highest profile competitions first

Whoflungdung likes this.
  17. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think VAR could be positive for the game but the experience of EPL shows it has to be used properly. As it's being used now down south is laughable.

18. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    It’s *

19. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    If they start using VAR in this country Im sure the SFA will make sure its proper hun VAR and still makes all the bias decisions for them. Either that or if its a decision against sevco or for Celtic then the camera wont be * working and the ref will just have to wave play on. Its still gonna be bigoted refeering even if they have to implement Bigot VAR then thats what the SFA will do.

20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    At least it'll be foreign refs and the continent seem to have handled VAR better on the whole. These idiots down south seem to have found everything bad with the system and implemented it. Sad that's is probably the main talking point of this season down there. Well not really that sad. :56:

Whoflungdung likes this.