1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If he manages to clear Cowboy out in the first I’d be massively impressed.

There’s some volume of disrespect for what Cowboy has achieved and who he is. In reality he actually poses similar jiu jitsu problems than Diaz did if it ends up there.

He’s under weight for Welter just now carrying a much, much, larger frame than he normally does. His weight cut to 155 is lbs he can do easily in a few days. He eats and hydrates up to the scale at 170. Without even knowing his weight you can see how jacked he looks on the scale at 170 for both Diaz’ fights.

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He is underweight for welterweight. He was a massive featherweight and a good sized lightweight.

He won’t do his weight cut in a few days, but it will be fairly easy. A cut from 170lb to 155lb wouldn’t be considered very difficult.

Steven Thompson actually provides some insight into Conor’s walk around weight:

https://www.quora.com/What-weight-does-Conor-McGregor-walk-around-at

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His walk around weight in May 2019 1 million per cent was not over 170 lbs.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Source?

Thompson is talking about his weight in the lead up to the Diaz fight. I would assume the second one.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Cowboy is being disrespected to a degree but I do think McGregor will be much too much for him. The size is a big talking point for sure and I can see Cerrone hanging in there past 5 mins but I think that damage will accumulate into Round 2 and Conor will get the finish.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Love how some people are trying to act like this will be some sort of contest.

Conor will annihilate him.

King of Kings likes this.
  7. Darnok

He doesn't fight at 160. He said himself he is just under 170 at the moment, and comments from himself and his coaches previously suggest the same. I wouldn't be surprised if he was 160 while fighting at FW though.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeah I wasn’t saying he fights at 160lb. I was saying his walk around weight seems to be a bit over 170lb.

He definitely walked around a bit lighter when fighting at featherweight, but I very much doubt he could make the 145lb limit these days. Just a consequence of moving up in weight and ageing.

9. Darnok

I get that, I was agreeing with you. I used 'fight weight' as technically, walking weight is used to mean the weight that a fighter walks around at when not fighting and not the weight they are in the cage. That may have been pedantic, but there are typically a few stages of a fighter's weight change as they enter camp and then prepare for the actual fight, and a loose use of terms can lead to confusion. For example, I have seen an image of RDA's scale 2 months from his Kevin Lee fight where he weighed 197lbs. Obviously he is not going to weigh that much in the cage. It is also pretty obvious to me that McGregor fights at heavier than 160 and is heavier than 170 out of camp.

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Its not going to be as easy for McGregor as everyone thinks, if cowboy is sharp and ready then expect it to go to the championship rounds.

Both of them will be better not having to cut weight but Cowboy will have still have much better stamina. He’ll try to use his kicks and wrestling to stifle McGregors fast start then take him into deep water.

McGregor will win but it’ll not be easy unless he can catch him early of course.

11. Nasser

Cowboy his own worst enemy, he's way too macho for his own good. He said he wants to trade with Conor and not wrestle him. You have to fancy Conor in stand up fight, Cowboy will fold especially if Conor aims for his body, Conor has good body shots and I can't see Cowboy chin holding up either. Cowboy should mix it up look for the takedown and be patient look for that knee and head kick and he would have a good chance especially if Conor gassed late but likelihood is he throws bombs with Conor and gets caught.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Ah yeah, I get you now. Basically I was trying to say he’s not a true welterweight but isn’t really a small lightweight. Personally I don’t think the weight difference between Cerrone and Conor will be much of a factor on fight night, because I don’t think there is a dramatic difference.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would’ve hated the way he talks about this fight if I was a Cerrone fan. You get that whole ‘just here to put on a good show’ vibe from him.

I’m hoping the ‘stand up’ comments are BS, because if he really does take that approach he’ll be stopped early imo.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This is fight tae get the plums pumping.

ILoveTheCeltic likes this.
  15. Darnok

Yeah, according to Cerrone, he weighs mid 170s come fight time.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

McGregor looked absolutely phenomenal on the scale. Easily the healthiest and most powerful he’s looked on a UFC scale.

18. Al Bootyerbaws

No doubt you were wanking yourself into a coma watching McGregor weighing in.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Learn how to quote you absolute * lovely man.

20. Al Bootyerbaws

I know how to quote, I choose not to. Hope this helps.