1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie saying Hail Hail Hello

Discussion in 'Newbies & FAQ' started by TidybhoyTHFC, Jan 10, 2020.

Discuss Newbie saying Hail Hail Hello in the Newbies & FAQ area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TidybhoyTHFC

I'm half scottish and spent a lot of time across the border for years as my family live in various cities in Scotland. My grandad was a celtic fan, my dad and Me, I've always loved the hoops since my childhood when we had Sutton, John Hartson and the legend Henrik Larsson.

I've been to a few games when we have come down south, and a few times at Paradise. I was so amazed by the fans and fell in love with the club, especially the fans, which I think are the best in the world.

I sometimes get doubts I'll be accepted by the hardcore hoops fans. I want to be part of the family, but as I'm half english, so can I be accepted by the green brigade and all the other fans?

I've had a couple of comments when I've been in with the fans that weren't good when I've gone to games. But the majority dont have a problem.

What are your opinions on someone like me? I've followed Celtic all my life and they have always been my Scottish club. I would never support anyone else in Scotland. Even though some of my family are Sheep Sha**ers I've always stuck with the boys in green.

I wear my shirts all the time and all the english supporting fans get confused about what shirt I'm wearing. Eg the other day I had last seasons away shirt on and got asked if I support Aston Villa!!!!! I mean what the * is that about.

If I was standing in the terraces with you and my london accent, would you accept me into the family or say something bad?

I just get confused sometimes that I'm fully accepted by the fans. I always tell people my views on hating the monarchy and what the English have done to the world. I hate the queen with a passion. (Hope this kind of stuff is ok to say on this forum?)

Ive been called a scottish B*****d and other sh1te things due to my name and wearing Scotland national team shirts. My heart and blood (half of it haha) is Scottish and my accent is from London. All I know Is if I could choose to play for any nation in any sport it would be Scotland.

Anyway, I hope I'm welcome here and COYBIG

Tidybhoy[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :83:

Of course you are welcome! Celtic is a club about inclusion, not exclusion. There are fans with accents from all around the world, so really who cares? Don't need a mohawk to be a punk, don't have to read comic books to enjoy a Marvel movie and most certainly don't need to have a weegie accent in order to support the Hoops! :shamrock:

Bit surprised though, as you mentioned being a supporter since the days of Hartson & Sutton et al, so would have thought that you'd be old enough to not let what others think bother, especially over something as trivial as an accent or where you live, and if want to support the Hoops then support the Hoops! :ynwacelti

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Drakhan and TidybhoyTHFC like this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mate I'm Scottish and get grief for my * accent ken

Welcome, you will enjoy it here :50: :party22:

4. TidybhoyTHFC

Thanks mate. I guess it's what you believe in and how you feel. At the end of the day we all love Celtic

5. TidybhoyTHFC

Thanks mate, its just something I always think about. It's the scottish in me wanting to be liked by the Scots as I have a london accent. You're right though, I dont know why I've worried all these years. I'm just a worrier really. I'll never forget the first time I was in the crowd with fellow fans. I couldn't believe it, it was an atmosphere I'd never felt before.

The first ever football match I ever went to was with my neighbor, who took me to a Palace game years and years ago I cant remember much except that They won 5-1. I never even clapped hahah. And palace are meant to be one of the best atmospheres in England.

You cant compare it with Celtic fans and games. Its just another level, We have the best fans in the world.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Plenty of English fans travel to Celtic Park for games. Loads of CSCs all over England.

To be honest I doubt the truthfulness of your claim that you've had negative comments at the game. I'm a cynical old * though.

Unless you're rod Stewart though in which case I retract that and say you probably deserved it instead.

Welcome to TC.

Gabriel, Lilac Wine and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome to talkceltic.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Did you vote Tory?

Sean Daleer likes this.
  9. ddub11

Welcome and enjoy.

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Welcome :50:

bagforlife likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Typical Yorkshire * :fear:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Welcome :)

13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I thought folk stopped slagging Londoners at games after @McGuire waited for them outside?

London Road was named after that event.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    They did....so he'll be fine now..

Seriously though there's loads of cockneys and English that are die hards and go to loads of game's or in the CSC's down here. I'd be very surprised if you have had that as I know of plenty that have never had anything like that at our game's or in pubs..

Never been to a Scotland game but went to Trafalgar square for the England game and there was plenty of younger English accents with Scotland tops on due to their da's or whatever, like myself..

Ever hit a Celtic pub down here and you'll see how many English accents there are....particularly from the 30's and below..

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    TBF it's a while since we have had a "will I get beaten up for having an English accent ?" thread. :giggle1:

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Don’t see why you would have received a few negative comments. One * along the line maybe but we have one of the most diverse supports in the game. English accent is no excuse as we have probably a couple of thousand of fans at any given game coming up over the border. Same with Welsh and Irish. If your in a Celtic shirt or supporting your team then your supporting my team, Our team. Your already part of the family. You’ll receive no serious attitude here but must be thick skinned. So settle in you half English *.:50:

CH4, Lilac Wine and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Always funny when people are apprehensive. I understand why but different completely from what they imagine. We are the good guys and never forget it is my approach.

McChiellini.. and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Literally never even popped into my head even as a teenager Packy. As far as I was concerned I was just going to where I belonged. Having said that I remember the first time my da took me and John up to a game and took us into the London Road Tavern and before we went in he said " if there is any trouble you two just get out of the door and I will sort it".:giggle1:

I sort of get it as well and maybe it is different if you go on CSC's rather than on your own or in a car, however if somebody was getting stick in a Celtic bar purely for having an English accent I would be surprised if folk didn't step in.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    To be honest I've heard it a few time's down here from randoms..

Mainly what's Glasgow like. Will it be a bit dodgy with a London accent etc etc..

Only dodgy place I've been with Londoners and the accent is Birkenhead. Liverpool actually the complete opposite as well but Birkenhead is one rough gaff where I don't think they like anyone :fear:

packybhoy likes this.
  20. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What's strange and without bias it's not something I've heard at Celtic or about Celtic, is fans being racist. Only read about us getting pulled up for sectarianism which is amusing considering they never go on to explain the words used and the context. But I still think Notorious should make a public apology before they deduct points costing us one of the next two leagues. Your honour I was just remarking that I thought some of the opposition support had been lying under the sunbed a little bit too long that morning. 'And their parents marital status at their birth?' I didn't think they were allowed to get married until they were 16 your honour.

Shouting racist abuse is hard to comprehend anyway as it doesn't make sense. I seen a documentary about how bad it was in England in the 70s for black players. They basically had to just put up with it but it was so widespread nobody told fellow supporters to fYouuck up basically cause they risked a load of fellow supporters kicking * out them.

In the modern game I think it's mostly gone apart from in some clubs on the continent for some reason, I don't know why that is. Maybe the UK leagues are more multinationa due to the popularity of the EPL and the multinational demographic?

But a couple weeks back the Chelsea captain was considering stopping the game after a black team mate said a Spurs fan was making monkey noises and was frustrated it was allowed to go with basically a shrug. Maybe they checked footage later cause it ended up quite serious as it should. Then Son said he got abuse from a Chelsea fan when he was leaving the pitch in the same game.

* is that all about? Bad enough being that vile but 4K tvs have been on sale for quite a while now, it's a hard place to hide if you gesticulating racist abuse.