1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He needs first team football, I hope he gets plenty of game time if he does go out on loan because he is very highly rated.

2. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Could be a good move can only benefit us

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I feel that a good few of the younger players need first team football sooner rather than waiting till they are 21 or there abouts.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Needs football..but the way Elhamed is going with injuries and the way Bolingoli is playing we could be doing with having him around here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Seán Mac D likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic youngster Lee O'Connor looks set for a loan move out of Parkhead.

The Irish defender is yet to play for the Hoops first-team but has turned out for the academy side.

Game time has been hard to come by for the 19-year-old right-back with Jeremie Frimpong and Moritz Bauer both ahead of him in the pecking order.

Celtic also have Hatem Abd Elhamed to return from injury, so O'Connor would be unlikely to break through this season.

It is understood Oxford United are hoping to take the player to the Kassam Stadium.

O'Connor joined Celts from Manchester United where he played once for the under-21s in an EFL Cup match against Rotherham.

He has also played twice for Ireland's under-21s, scoring once and providing an assist against Sweden and New Zealand respectively

tarboltontim likes this.
  6. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

We should be keeping him imo. El Hamed can’t be counted on at the moment.

7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I'd prefer to see him go to a spl team, even hearts, this guy is the real deal. For me him going back to England to play is counter productive. Let him learn to play at spl grounds.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally agree get him out on loan for the rest of this season to another spfl team so he gets up to speed on playing in the league and then he is back in the summer. At that point Bauer will be gone back to Stoke so at a minimum O'Connor takes his spot in the depth chart so to speak.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Would be better of he went to England, the standard of teams down there would be better for him to play against.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Looking like Oxford are in for him, in normal circumstances you’d be for that but we have a kid younger than him as our first choice, our actual first choice injured and the only other option looks a bit of a step down in quality.

It would be our luck we let him go and Bauer gets crocked. Then we’re really *.

11. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I had high hopes when he signed and still do, but he needs first team football in order to develop. Oxford wouldn’t be a bad move for the rest of the season.

12. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I’d loan him to another Spfl team, get him used to the football up here rather than league 1 stuff. Motherwell or someone may be a good chance for him.

13. Goggzy60

I actually think Hibs or St Johnstone would be a perfect fit for him on loan. Depends on where we want him played as a RB Hibs are the obvious choice. Centre Back Really any bottom 6 side would fit but St Johnstone are probably the weakest (decent) side there.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

McGregor did not bad with his loan to league one at a similar age. Decent level to cut your teeth at.

15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye but that's only one example i can really think of. Feel like whenever we send them down there it doesn't tend to work out. I would personally prefer to see how he does in the league which we plan on having him in.

Hes a talent and a full international at 19 I feel like Oxford is a bit...meh.

16. Jeremie Frimpong

He needs game time, but how much will we learn about him if he is playing in a different league?

I would prefer to see him go out on loan to another Scottish Premiership club.

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I see your point but the main thing is he goes to a club that will give him regular game time at this stage as he won't get it here. Oxford are keen, and it's 6 months of proper football for the lad.

18. SCOTTYBHOY_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team To Play For
    Oxford are flying in that league. Physical league with some ok sides could do worse than loan him to them

JML67 likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's hardly a million miles away, and the style of football isn't much different either tbh.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

If he does well at Oxford United, does that mean he is ready to feature for Celtic? I, myself, would have no idea.

I would have a much better sense of how well he was doing if he were playing for another Scottish Premiership club.