1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Still think we'll win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 30, 2019.

Discuss Still think we'll win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Now people have had time to let their emotion subside, putting up a poll to gauge opinion. I still think we'll win the league. Yesterday was a poor result but we're still having a good season, we've still got the best squad and the best manager in my opinion. A couple of key additions in the January window will be a boost, and hopefully the break does the team good.

jimbobers and HoopyT like this.
  2. celtic warrior

Yes.

As * off I am about us always, always * tailing off at this point of the season, only to come back after the break to storm it, it is that previous which lends itself to the claim that this is no different to previous seasons and that we always finish strong in the 2nd half of the season.

Of course a few top ups on the squad are still critical though.

Proper comp for Eddie. Someone who can rotate with Forrest (Where's a Paddy Roberts when you need one) and then someone to challenge Ajer.

3. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    As long as we sign at least a couple of players in January that will actually improve the team. Not just guys to bulk out the squad.

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    A striker, winger and centre back that are trusted to start. They don't have to be better than what we have but just someone we are willing to put in a starting xi to rest our players.
    I think we will win it but it isn't a given.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  5. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Voted Yes , as its unthinkable for us not do 9

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  7. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I don't feel confident. I voted no as league table does not lie and I don't feel like the game in hand for them will be anything other than a win.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Yes.

We have players and a manager (as well as coaching staff) that have vast experience od winning league titles.

They do not...

9. joemc

They have found a system that is very hard to beat ,tbh I saw the goal coming from set piece ,they had been banging at that door in the last game , they gave us no time on the ball and we never had their energy to do the same , brown only player who had any impact for us .

10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I think we will take this season and I think it will be tight. I have a long term worry for the 10.

I absolutely believe we have a more talented squad them then them by quite some distance too. Hunger is a factor here though which has shone through in our last two fixtures against them lot. Every 50/50 they won and they were non stop coming at us. It's like we believed we could slow play down and eventually dictate play. Sometimes winning ugly is necessary and newco are doing whatever is necessary to force us back at the minute. We need to rough them up too, get in their faces and play our higher quality of football in between. We also need to press then far higher up the pitch, it's like we only try to force the issue when they are in our final third. Some of our best performances in Europe this year seen us contesting the ball in the opposition's half. I didn't see any of that yesterday! Is it complacency? I think their is a real element of that and I hope this defeat lives in our memory for the remainder of the two seasons as a minimum.

I thought Julien won most his 50/50 battles yesterday and broony was the only one who looked livid with what was happening. Thats disappointing, if we are losing to them lot we shouldnt be accepting it, it should be hurting and we should be battling every blade of grass to fix it. Can't say I seen that yesterday.

As I always say I absolutely love Neil Lennon but his post match interview wound me up yesterday. The Neil Lennon I love is a passionate, fiery time that demands high standards. When he says we didn't deserve to lose the game it felt like denial! Which isn't like him. Would have preferred him to come out and say that was very far from the required standard, he wasn't happy and he will making the squad very aware of how unhappy he is!

The next two games against them lot will be pivotal in securing 9 in a row. Lennon has to make sure they are more battle ready next time.

Mickmac and joemc like this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We will but we've got a battle on our hands.

We need to be much more clinical as some of our wins under Lenny are needlessly tight.

A ST to help Edouard and a change of system now and then will help, 4-2-3-1 is easy to set up against we need to vary it now and then.

We have the quality in the squad but we need find that clinical edge.

CB and DM needed too.

Would like to see this tried..

Forster
    Elhamed Julien Ajer/New CB
    Frimpong Brown/New DM McGregor Boli
    Christie
    Edouard Elyoynoussi/New ST

eire4, Rydo1888* and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yes.

But we need to strengthen key positions in january and add some physicality to that side.

Tactically we have been miles off in the last 2 games against them and even in the few before that we disnt exactly dominate.

I posted elsewhere but its worrying how weve allowed them to get this close to us considering where they've came from. Worrying is probably even being lenient.

It's now a proper battle for the title and has been for a while. They are desperate to stop us and their hunger is something which could make up for their squads lack of experience of being in this position.

Mickmac and Random Review like this.
  13. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ask me on the 1st February.

14. joemc

Perfect assessment .

stubhoy07 likes this.
  15. CountyDownFaithful

If there was a 50/50 option that’s what I’d vote for.

We were playing some amazing, free flowing football at the start of the season that blew Rodgers style out of the water. The temp was great and we were scoring goals for fun. The players were hungry and played with a real energy.

All of that’s disappeared. We now look a shadow of that team. Are the players running on empty? Does Lennon need to rotate more to keep the players fresh? Has Lennon’s tactics been found out?

That mob have thrown everything they’ve got in the last few transfer windows to stop 10 in a row so it wouldn’t surprise me if they strengthen again in Jan to stop 9. They are already showing signs of being a better team than us. They’ve not lost an away game all year.

We need a complete tactical rethink and a convincing transfer window. Until that happens I’m 50/50.

James dean likes this.
  16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

17. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    Its 50/50!

They look less likely to drop points against other teams and seem to have sussed us out, aswell as looking more hungry than us, which is unforgivable.

We need too freshen up with some experienced additions, and sort our tactical and pressing game out when we play them next!!

Mickmac and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  18. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    voted yes....... but ?
    new players isn't the only change we need.
    Neil Lennon needs to lose that stubborn streak and change his game plan when and if necessary.
    we all seen that some of our players weren't up for it on sunday and that was obvious within 15mins.
    but he still waits until the 80th min to make any real changes.
    but what do i know?
    afterall, he's our manager.

19. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Main problem is the rest of the league are utterly abysmal this season and the Huns have very favourable fixtures after the break , don't see them dropping many points. Next derby is at Ibrox to boot. Big ask now .
    Hopefully Morelos gets a hefty ban for his throat slit gesture as they are not the same team without him and a few games out could prove costly to them .

A point yesterday would have been huge for us looking at the bigger picture of the league campaign .

20. fourleafclover

50/50 for me also.

Unless the pressure gets to them or they incur serious injuries then they are not going to drop many points. The other teams in the league are just not good enough.

Its a complete different scenario from this point last year. Yes the result was the same but we had just played them away from home with no striker , no 1st choice lb and our best Cm at the time slotting into the lb position. We had a game in hand which would give us the 3 point gap. There was still pressure on rangers to not slip up after the break.

This time we have just been at times played off the park with just about a full team selection at home. Pressure is now on us not to drop anymore points after the break. Hard run of away games coming up and the next old firm at ibrox.

Amazed that with them being the top goalscorers with headers from set pieces in the league that we never had a player on at least 1 of the posts .

We need to hang in there untill the next old firm and make a big statement. For that to happen then lennon and the backroom will need to figure out a way of playing against them . The away game might suit him to be fair as he naturally doesn't have to set the team up as attacking.

But ive got my doubts to be honest. Two full games they have outplayed us. And the management team have came up with nothing.
    You could argue when he made the subs yesterday we gained a bit of control and that formation might be the answer in future games.
    However i think that might of been partly due to rangers sitting back and protecting what they had.
    We still never created any clear cut chances from open play.

Alot of work to be done. Need to keep the faith. But hopefully yesterday will have hurt the management, players and most of all the board as much as it did the fans.

Time will tell

Callum McGregor likes this.