1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pearse67*

Went the way the first fight should have.

Fury boxes the head of aj.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Korobov dominated round 1 vs Eubank and then injured his shoulder for a TKO loss in round 2. Rough way to go out, he had the beating of Jr.

3. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Good boxing from Joshua, boxed smart and dominated from start to finish. Good to see he has that in him.

Ruiz carrying too much weight, slow on the feet.

Not interested in a third, would rather Usyk if he isn't waiting for winner of Wilder-Fury.

Yeah I didn't think Eubank was looking great at all.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Great boxing by AJ, used his reach and conditioning advantage, some of those shots he hit Ruiz with would of put majority of fighters on their *.

Watched the fight in a pub, the amount of * shouting that Joshua was scared of Ruiz and just running away was daft, why would he step in and brawl with Ruiz when that’s why he got beat last fight. Ruiz coming in heavier this fight * himself as well, couldn’t get close to Joshua except in the clinch.

Interested to see the 3rd match.

5. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I know that, although fury won the first fight in my eyes despite the knock downs so hes the best of the lot imo and has the best chance of avoiding Wilders power punch.

cidermaster likes this.
  6. scootz

Styles make fights - AJ would be a FAR more difficult opponent for Fury than Wilder was. I could see Fury outboxing AJ, but I could also see AJ taking Fury out as the fight wore on. 50/50 call for me on that one.

AJ v Wilder is an even more difficult one to call. Wilder is taller than AJ, so even though he's a * 'boxer', you don't really want to box him at distance as one of those bombs at the end of those long arms is an ever-present danger. Fury is an excellent 'boxer' and did brilliantly against Wilder, but even he got tagged twice by him. I don't think AJ's chin could take the same shots. AJ is actually pretty decent at close fighting - Ruiz was just so much faster and so much more compact that getting involved in a tear-up with him was suicidal. Wilder needs room to get his big shots off - I see AJ trying to stay close and trying to out-hustle him. If AJ could do that with the same discipline as he showed last night, then I'd give him the nod here.

Fury v Wilder II is another hard one to call - Fury outboxes him every day of the week, but the big mad * is prone to occasional lapses of concentration. I was amazed he got up in the last round of their last fight - I think he might have to do the same again if he is to get the win he was due from their last outing.

Wilder - hits hardest
    Fury - best boxer
    AJ - the man in the middle

Very very close between the three!

cidermaster likes this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Is no * showing the Conlan fight on Saturday? I’ve looked on the schedules and online but only ESPN America picking it up. I thought he had a deal with BT?

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I think AJ would be a much simpler opponent for Fury. AJ has power but it's nothing like Wilder'a power. He has nothing in terms of boxing ability to match Fury with and, imo, would barely land a glove on the gypsy king just like Wilder. Except when he does land it won't be near as devastating as when Wilder did.

9. Nasser

Tyson Fury would have to KO AJ to win, as there is zero chance he would get the decision. AJ is like Canelo in that respect as he is very likely to never lose on the scorecards because of the powerful people behind him.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  10. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Looking forward to early Spring 2021.
    Wilder undisputed Champion,Celtic in the CL as EL Winners:60::boxing::ynwacelti

11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Didnt they say that about Klitschko in Germany?

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Tyson Fury would outbox Joshua that badly that there’s literally zero chance that Joshua would get any decision.

The truth is, Joshua would have to KO Fury to have any chance of beating him. Even what looks like a vastly improved version of AJ.

Gyp Rosetti and James like this.
  13. Nasser

I would say Matchroom are far worse than Germany ever was. Fury would have to drop AJ at least 2 times and even then he still be at risk of it being a draw.

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Don't think we'll ever see Fury and AJ fight, but if it were to happen I'd fancy Fury to spark him. Aj would be * with Fury's footwork.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. Nasser

He definitely could. Fury power is underrated, he's not a big power puncher but he has some oomph behind his punches, Wilder did not like it one bit when Fury started tagging him late in that fight and AJ is more chinny than Wilder.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Plus Fury's footwork would have AJ bamboozled, he'd manipulate and manoeuvre him around the ring. AJ would be gassed to *.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IRISH boxer Michael Conlan will once again proclaim his love for Celtic when he makes his way to the ring this weekend at Madison Square Garden for one of the most important fights of his professional career.

The WBO and WBA Inter-Continental featherweight champion will look to extend his professional record to 13-0 this Saturday (December 14) when he comes up against old foe Vladimir Nikitin in New York.

Conlan, born and raised in Belfast, has been a Celtic fan his whole life and the 28-year-old regularly makes his ring walk to the songs he so closely associates with Paradise and Ireland.

Earlier this year he fought in his hometown and said walking to the ring in Falls Park with ‘Grace’ and ‘Let the People Sing’playing was one of the best moments of his life.

“Walking out there in front of 10,000 plus in a park which I grew up, where I had many unpaid fights in the past, to ‘Grace’ was amazing,” Conlan told the Christmas issue of the Celtic View. “I knew how everybody would react, and then when ‘Let the People Sing’ kicked in, the whole place went buck mad.

“It’s very hard to explain how I felt walking out to that. If I’m honest, it was the best sporting experience of my whole life. Obviously, having kids is different because that’s really personal but in terms of my career that experience was undoubtedly the best ever.

“I’ve been a Celtic fan all my life. The songs that are sung in Celtic Park are close to my heart and close to every Celtic fan’s heart. The fact that I’m able to play them in a boxing atmosphere means a lot to me. You can see how attached people are to those songs and how they affect them emotionally.”

Conlan had a stellar * career with a bronze in the London 2012 Olympics, Commonwealth Gold at Glasgow in 2014, the European championship in 2015 the * world championship the same year.

The Irishman was robbed of more Olympic glory at Rio 2016 with a shocking decision from judges going against him. He let the officials know of his anger before going on a now infamous seething rant about the corruption of * boxing when talking to broadcaster RTE.

Having made a phenomenal start to his professional career three years ago, Conlan is now on the brink of a world title shot but, before he turns his attention to more accolades, the Belfast boxer has a score to settle this Saturday with a familiar Russian.

“I’m fighting Vladimir Nikitin on December 14 at Madison Square Garden,” said Conlan. “This is my chance at redemption for the decision in Rio. It’ll be the third time fighting him. He beat me twice in the amateurs.

"No matter what anybody says and regardless of what we and everybody else thinks, the guy’s hand has been raised twice when facing me. I can’t go into this thinking it’s a foregone conclusion and that I’m going to come in, win and fix this storyline.

“My training camp has gone well and I’ve had some phenomenal sparring parterns so I’m going in ready and I know what I need to do.”

18. Andybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ice cream and jelly
    Anyone a stream for the conlan fight?

19. Nasser

Hopefully we get to see Conlon against Frampton or Warrington next. I want to see him step up and fight a proper name in the pro-ranks.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Would love him to smash Frampton's annoying wee cocky face in..

No sure he has the power though....even though Frampton is past it..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.