1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Twisty, Aug 5, 2010.

Discuss Car Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Mind my auld boss had a Range Rover sport, i reversed it intae a lamp post, he never spoke to me for 2 weeks. :celt_2:

2. celts67

Hahahah :56:

The Prof likes this.
  3. Onefootwonder

Personally I think the entire car market is going to have a significant fall soon. New cars had been at record levels for years. Now it's all drying up a bit and there's an oversupply of a lot of cars.

The Golf R is one of the cars that will suffer. A quick scan of the numbers and there must be around 30,000 of them. That's huge numbers in the hot hatch sector.

BMW have flooded the market with the M140i when they made that one of the cheapest hot hatches to finance.

I'd hang fire a while to see where they push values with them coming to the end of their PCP deals around now.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Do you work in the car industry or just have a keen interest?

5. Onefootwonder

Just an interest.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Was just wondering because you seem to have better than average knowledge on them. I’m the opposite, I know the basics and can point out cars I like the look of, but I don’t even know what that BMW you mentioned above looks like, without googling. Lol

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone with a decent knowledge of cars got any advice/suggestions for a 1st car?

Going to inevitably have bumps and scrapes, so don't see much point in taking out finance on something.

My plan was to pick up a cheap runaround that's reasonably cheap on insurance & road tax, not too heavy on the petrol or diesel and isn't going to start falling apart on me, as I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it. My daily commute is less than 15 miles all in.

Few things I've seen online seem to be suggesting the likes of Yaris, 107, Fabia, Fiesta, i10/i20 etc.

8. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Fiesta was my first car, my mechanic calls Fords Fix Or Repair Daily. He got a bit of work out of that car haha, but it went like a train once fixed.

Had a Honda Jazz after that which never missed a beat until I was rear-ended and it crumpled like a coke tin. Not going to have the wumin scratching at the windows, but I thought it was a great wee car. Honda engines reliable from what I know anyway.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, seen that Honda's were high up on reliability scores. I'll have a look at that mate. Cheers.

ourdaywillcome! likes this.
  10. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Currently driving a Jeep Renegade, get a whopping 30mpg out of it. As soon as my finance allows me to its getting traded for an L200 or something with equally as pish mpg but a bit more gutsy looking

11. Onefootwonder

Forget a diesel for 15 miles a day. You'd likely face expensive DPF issues.

If it's old and cheap it is a bit of pot luck, but generally Japanese cars are more reliable.

The Jazz above is a good shout if a bit boring.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Small petrol if that’s your daily commute.
    Small Vauxhall, ford, Honda. Reliability shouldn’t be an issue with these. More so than Peugeot or Citroen.
    Service history & oil change etc. paperwork is more important than looks for your first car I believe to an extent!!!

If someone offers you an Alfa charge them to take it off their hands & take it & weigh it straight in for scrap, if it gets you there.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  13. stew37

Anyone ever done those crash course type driving lessons, where you're with an instructor pretty much every day for long periods of time? Are they worthwhile? Ive been able to drive for years but never taken the test. Prob going to need it due to career change.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Just done a quick search online and seen one with pretty low mileage but much cheaper than others of the same...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911154395183

Should this be a red herring?

Paying off debt just now so would rather go for a banger for 12 months til I actually learn to drive, then can look at something better.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not worrying about the looks too much. There's no need for a * magnet.

I'll be parking it up out of sight behind the trolley shed and sitting in @MagnificentSeven's Range-y for that.

MagnificentSeven likes this.
  16. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

I’m selling the *.

That was my window that got tanned a few weeks ago & just had to put 2 new tyres on it today.

Had to remortgage the hoose.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fs, thought I would at least get one evening's worth of wolf-whistling yummy mummys.

MagnificentSeven likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Those cars you've listed will do the job fine. My first car was a Corsa and it was cheap to run and reliable. Whatever you do, get gap insurance on top of your normal insurance. :67:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Cheers mate. I thought Corsa's were meant to be dodgy as well.

I thought Gap Insurance was only worthwhile if you had a brief?

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've had two Corsas and both were absolutely fine. The only repair I had to get (other than new tyres), was replacing a windshield wiper that wasn't wiping the water away well enough, because the rubber had come off a little. Maybe other people have had other experiences but both of mine were spot on. If you don't want to go for a Corsa there are loads of similar small hatchbacks at similar prices. Mate of mine had a VW up which was a good little runner too.

Gap insurance is worth having if you want to cover your back, in case of a write off accident. An insurer won't pay the full amount of what the car is worth, which could leave you with a finance agreement still to pay. Although this might not be applicable to you if you're buying the car outright from the start.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Seán Mac D likes this.