1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    People were unsure of his role and also thought he was a defensive coach (myself included)...where he got the blame for that..

He's shown to be a quality coach though. Would've been hard when the snake left to kinda take over in a way almost and pass it on to Lenny in keeping it the same as the snakes regime. Lenny stated how important he was and how he was relying on Kennedy during that period..

Then turning down a more lucrative job in the EPL to stay here. That also deserves a mention when he's been absolutely slated for being GIVEN a role here out of sympathy down the year's..

Held in high regard by all the coaching and playing staff he's worked with..

You can see he's a calm head...gives instructions on the touchline a lot as well..

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Mjallby has experience and presence and was part of the coaching staff when the team began the 8.
    Im not questioning what Kennedy has contributed, but you are making assumptions about Mjallby, who was part of our coaching team during one of the most successful european runs of recent times.

Is there anything to suggest that Mjallbys coaching methods and way of working is dated? Why isnt he suited to Lennons coaching team now?

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mjallby has been looking at being Henrik's assistant at 2 job's recently..

MK Dons and Southend..

I'm gonna take a wild guess that he wasn't asked to work under Lenny this time..

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    yeah id seen that too. Maybe you are right as im sure he is happy with Kennedy.

Big Johan said on his open goal that he would be interested if the position came around again. Like i said id prefer things continue as they are but i wouldnt be too upset if JK was replaced with JM

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Raman Bhardwaj says no

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Never got the criticism of defence being laid at his door, Kolo Toure and BR must have been delighted when that happened :56:

Spring Time and Sean Daleer like this.
  7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Always made me laugh that JFK got pelters when we lost goals, yet his thread was never bumped when we kept clean sheets.

Never mind the fact he wasn't even "defensive coach", it always made me chuckle.

I have a feeling he will go on to be a good manager in his own right.

Actually wouldn't mind him going away and cutting his teeth elsewhere then coming back to the tic

8. M 67

Pretty certain he’ll get the gig after Lennon. No bad for a big * fae clelland!

9. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    JK is staying wi Celts according latest media reports

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nothing against Kennedy but the Celtic job really isn't a job for a novice.

Lennon only got it first time round given how well he done with Mowbray's team after he was sacked.

I'd rather that he went out to 'learn the ropes' at another team before we considered giving him the top job. You can even see the improvement in Lennon tactically and in-game management following his spell with Hibs.

11. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

If he gets it after Lennon he’ll only be our second Scottish manager of this millennium I think.
    (Unless you count Dalglish)

12. M 67

Aye I’d agree with that. But, I just think it looks certain that’s what the board will do when Lennon eventually moves on.

Jeremie Frimpong and Seán Mac D like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, they seem to be gearing up to that but it seems all too sentimental for me.

I'm not saying he's not a decent coach but I can't see what he could over the next 3 or 4 years as an understudy to Lennon that would him be the #1 candidate when Lennon moves on.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If I was him I’d be going to Hibs.

His best opportunity of a job like Celtic is to gain experience of the pressures of being the main man elsewhere. Stick a proven track record on his CV and then nothing can be perceived to be sentimentality.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  15. Jeremie Frimpong

If he were to move to, say, Hibernian, what would he have to do there to be considered for the Celtic job when Lennon leaves?

A European place or a cup by no means makes you a shoe-in for the Celtic job; it might not even make you a candidate for it.

And if he were to just do a reasonable job, or if he were to fail, he'd have no chance of managing here.

I imagine that Kennedy will see little benefit to going there. If he stays here, there is every chance that the club will take a punt on him.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  16. Jeremie Frimpong

The flip side is that at Hibs, he would be expected to deliver tangible success. If he were to fail, his managerial career might be over before it has started (see Cathro at Hearts).

I think that a smaller gig might suit him just now: a club like St. Mirren, where a couple of good seasons would give him some credibility, but where a poor season wouldn't necessarily be viewed as a disaster.

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

If people were underwhelmed with Lennon being appointed despite him winning leagues, cups and a CL last 16 on his CV then how will they react to Kennedy getting the gig? :giggle1:

Can't see it happening personally, but who knows...

Graeme1888 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  18. Jeremie Frimpong

It'd probably be the most underwhelming appointment in our history. :giggle1:

Graeme1888 and JML67 like this.
  19. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Lennie has stated that he wants to be the Arsene Wenger of Celtic...meaning he wants to be around Celtic for a long long time.........

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Well presumably if he did well at Hibs he might be considered for a League 1/Lower end Championship team down south like Stubbs, Alex Neill etc.

If he done well down there then he might come into considerations.

I don't blame Kennedy for holding out for it, as you say that's the most likely way of him getting a crack at it but I don't think it's the right place to iron out mistakes at the beginning of your football management career. It's far too high pressure.